Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wingnut17

Durometer

I think it depends on your chassis though, no? HiLo's don't really let you use anything but 72-72-80-80. I know the Hummer is all 80, and some other ones that were straight frame like Sure Grip is really the only one that I can think where you can use 76's.

As for durometer, I like 1 soft wheel up front for push off, then the rest all the same for speed. Im about 165lbs and I like a 74 or 76 in the back, and the 1st wheel is really soft, ususally a 72 or 73.

Maybe some of the wheel makers reps can chime in here, but grip and durometer are not automatically synonymous....Materials also contribute a lot....I have had 73 durometer wheels that would never grip at all...they were made of a different materials. They felt like they should grip..they just wouldn't.

Also in todays world of multi layered wheels, the outside durometer is only part of the story....the new multi pour wheels usually come in two versions....harder or softer, but you cannot compare the numeric durometer of a tri pour Rink Rat Hornet to a single pour Hyper or Labeda wheel...they are not really equivalent technologies. Even between the Multi pour wheels the technology and theory of grip and durability varies enough that numeric comarisons are somewhat misleading when done between brands. They have some relevance when compared to other versions of the same manufacturer's wheels, but this indicator no longer crosses over that accurately between manufacturers.

I use all 76's. Softer wheels up front and harder wheels in back is also a good setup.

Hey Notorius, I remember you said you have PF8s. Can all 76s fit in that frame? Just curious because I don't have any 76s to try out and if it works I'll probably give it a shot.

EDIT: Sorry, brain fart - all 76 durometer. Nevermind.

It really depends on your weight and your skating style when picking what durometer wheels to use. There are many different setups that vary from player to player.

If you do not want to slide at all and want all grip...go soft all the way across. Typically, around the 75A range. Some people like to put harder wheels on the back two positions to allow for a little slide when stopping and turning.

We have done something quite different though. Our urethanes in our wheels are much softer and stronger than what other manufacturers pour. We can go to very soft durometers and not run the risk of losing speed or have the wheels chunk and split.

Our Platinum wheel runs at 72A, our Gold wheel runs at 74A and our Bronze wheels runs at 76A. And the TORUS in each wheel provides 30% more grip and 10% more speed than the other wheels that we tested.

The cool thing though is that the 3 wheels are designed to perform based on a players weight and their skating style. Through testing, we have designed a table that shows the various setups a player can go with based on their weight, and whether they want speed, grip, or a combination of both.

If you go to revisionhockey.com you will see what I am talking about. The table is called the Wheel Performance Matrix. Pardon the website, we are in the midst of developing a much more advanced website for you guys....however the one we have gets the information across.

If you have any questions post them up or go ahead and email me.

Regards,

Nick Dowling

nick@revisionhockey.com

Product Manager

Not at all Mike.

We have the only machines in the world that are designed to specifically test for grip, speed and durability to the extent that we do.

We tested every wheel on the market and the data shows that our wheels obtain 30% more footprint than any other wheel. This means that 30% more wheel surface is making contact with the floor while turning This creates a very unique feel for roller. It actually is quite similar to having an ice hockey edge.

We also tested how much deflection occurs on the running running surface of the wheel while in stride. Incase nobody knows, speed is lost when there is too much deflection when skating. This is how we concluded our wheels obtain about 10% more speed while in stride.

We also tested our durability. Although we didnt end up with the highest amount of durability, we estimate that our wheels last for about 40 hours of skating. But I've personally seen several people that skated on these upwards around 100 hours and still get decent grip.

We use these machines to test all of the wheels we manufacture as well. From inline race, hockey and skateboard. We manufacture wheels for Element, Black Label, Darkstar, Blind, Alien Workshop, Sector 9, Tony Alva, Bont, Comet, Revision and Matter Race wheels and others. So its not like we build these machines to come out with a biased result.

Our wheels are able to perform at these levels because of the TORUS. The TORUS is a plastic insert fitted over the hub. It is hollow and the side-walls are flexible which allows for greater deflection when turning and lateral movement. However, our speed is maintained because of the outer ring in the TORUS, it is stiff and rigid. This rigidity prevents ANY deflection from occuring while skaters are on the running surface of the wheel. So when a player goes from a turn where he is literally cutting like he is on ice hockey skates and then transitions into his stride, the TORUS reacts to the different situations. Flex in turns for grip, rigidity in stride for speed.

We also use a higher quality urethane. We are able to make our wheels stronger and softer which result in greater amounts of grip without the loss in speed. Our wheels also do not chunk or tear up. Plus, we have a 30 day guarantee that we will replace any defected wheel that chunks or tears at no extra charge.

But some will say that machine data is fine...but what do the players say? Its a cool thing when you have Kirk French of Team Mission say to you. "I dont want to wear any other wheel but Revision. Why? Because I play better." Also Boyd Sutton, who designed wheels for Hyper in the 90's came back after skating a few prototypes and said they were the best wheels he's ever skated on. Milan Hejduk from the Colorado Avalanche recently contacted us and said he had skated our wheels and loves them and wanted to know where he could get more. Then you get the top youth players in the country coming up and telling you that they want to skate the wheels because they turn sharper and skate faster than anything else. The best part of it is that nobody is getting paid to say it. For these guys its not about the money or free product...its about the performance.

Phew, one more thing...we have without a doubt the best wheel engineer in the world. For those of you interested, go to a search engine and type in Neal Piper. You will find dozens of articles and scripture about him.

So in a very lengthy way...I hope that this answers anyones questions about how we were able to get that data...we didnt just make them up, they're real.

Regards,

Nick

Here’s to all you people who want to know some more about revision wheels. I have been skating on revisions for almost a year and a half now. I skate about every day for at least 2 or 3 hours. Since the first time I put revision wheels on, I have loved them. I have skated on almost every wheel out there, but nothing is close to the revisions. They give you the feel and the speed of ice, and they look good. They have come a long way from where they started. Though you may or may not know, revision has been around for quite some time. But it has only been in the past couple years that revision has stepped up their game and, in my opinion, become one of the best wheels on the market. Revisions, I believe, are the sharpest turning, stopping, and just overall best wheels. I had teammates and others coming to me to ask if they could buy a set of revisions because they were sick and tired of their other wheels. People are starting to realize the true greatness of these wheels, and I hope that all of you people reading this will too. I have been playing for almost six years. I am currently playing AAA . For more information on the new revision wheels, contact Nick Dowling at nick@revisionhockey.com or www.revisionhockey.com.

Thanks for explaining your position Nick. I understand your trying to get your product in the market place and you need to proclaim your in house tests. I have no problem with that at all.

On another note, are you playing in Irvine in a couple weeks?

Your welcome, you asked how we got that data...so without going into great detail I explained.

I'm curious though, since you asked how we got our data....does RR have any way of disproving that? Does RR test their competitors wheels that way as well?

I know that I will be coaching...I think I am playing with Moran and DiRoberto as well on the SC Bulls team.

See you in a few weeks.

Nick

Has anyone on the board actually used both Rink Rats and Revisions to give a skating comparison? I know that the machine tests have been done, and the work Revision has done in the past with skateboard wheels is impressive, but nothing replaces actual skate time on the wheels. I wish I could go to one of my local shops to check out the revisions and possibly get a set to try, but no one carries them here for me to even see if it's a product I would want to purchase. I'm currently on RR blue flame wheels, and have used the hotshots as well. I must say I'm thouroughly impressed with these, and that hasn't happened since 98-99 when Labeda introduced the white gripper wheel at my local rink.

We are just in the beginning phases of marketing out to stores and shops so for the meantime they will be hard to find.

FYI - The wheels that are displayed on the website is our 2004 model. We are currently rebuilding our site for 2005.

Does anyone know how to upload a picture onto this site? I want to upload a jpeg of our 2005 line. For anyone interested I can email it to you. Just send me an email at nick@revisionhockey.com

Thanks

this is my first post and but i'm a long time reader here. the only reason why i decided to post was because i was in the middle of getting new skates myself and wanted the best wheels. now this revision wheel "sounds" good but that post from "Bam Bam" looks very.... <_< and all it did was prevent me from spending a ton of money on it. now i thought i saw a few other guys who said they were going to try the wheel a few months ago so i would just like to hear what they think... but please no more first time posters coming in here telling everyone how great the product is and specially not right after the rep himself is trying to convince everyone to pick up a set.

Bam Bam = Revision hockey or someone with shares in the company.. :D i mean come on who writes a review like that....

Bam Bam is not Revision.

However, he has helped out with extensive testing for us. He has skated on every prototype we have made so he knows quite a bit about the wheels and how far they have come...which is why it sounds wierd that he would know so much about Revision.

that post from "Bam Bam" looks very.... <_<

Im glad i wasnt the only one who noticed that. I wasnt going to say anything about it, but now that you point it out.................................

i think the best idea to send the word out is the give a few sets away to people who have posted here for a long time. those are the ones that we trust and since 90% of everyone who has posted anything here are "hardcore" players i'm sure it'll be worth the lost of a few sets of wheels. think of it as the best "word of mouth" advertising... B)

Someone asked what the users of this board thought about Revisions...I just stumbled across it today. I dont think anyone realized that it had been posted.

For those of you that were interested in hearing the feedback...here is the link:

Revision review on Mod Squad

Also, here is a link where you can view what our 2005/6 wheels look like as we have not yet completed updating our site:

Revision Variant Signature Series

I have used both Rink Rat and Revision. Nick @ Revision has been extremely helpful to me in the past, for which I am still very thankful.

I think I posted a review on them awhile back, but here goes again anyway. I will compare them to the RR Hornets only, as they seem to be competing the most. I still love my Labeda Gripper Lites and Milleniums more than the RR's, but the RR's were not a bad wheel whatsoever. I just found that for the price, the GL's and Mils performed the best for me.

Weight - Revision is slightly lighter than RR.

Grip - Revision and RR Hornet I think are relatively the same. I am kinda light, at 160lbs, so I don't really beat up wheels. Over time, I think they held up about the same too. (note, I used the Gold and Platinum wheels, gold all positions for some time, and platinum all postions for some time).

Durability- I had no problems with durability with either wheel. Some minor cracking on the RR over a season, but it did not hinder performance. A buddy of mine did blow out a Revision Gold wheel BAD though.

Feel- RR Hornet was bouncy. Nice smooth comfy ride. Good rebound effect. The Revision Gold setup was HARD. I had complained about this to Nick D. They felt very stiff, with no give, and was not comfy. The Platinums that Nick helped me out with were a bit better. A little more give to them, but they were softer so I lost some speed, which I did not like as that is my game.

Overall - The difference is minimal. Revision wins by only a little bit on speed and grip. Durability was a tie. Feel went hands down to RR. I just could not get used to the hard ride of the Revisions. Like I said, the Platinums were softer I guess, but too soft for me, and slowed me down. If you have the money, and they are BOTH pricey, try them both out. If Revisions 05 or 06 models are not as hard, I'd ride on nothing but Revisions, plus Nick was super cool, so I don't mind giving my money to super cool dudes, including Mission and my man Justin.