Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blues_91

Is there a way to stop in roller?

In 2 weeks I'm joining a rec roller league with a few of my ice friends just for fun and I was wondering is there anyway to stop on rollerblades or do I just have to run into the boards? :rolleyes:

I find doing a tight pivot works. It's like doing a hard 180. Sometimes I'll get some skid out of my skates and wind up skidding in a backwards snowplow. As you skate in, let your hips swivel as though you are transitioning to skating backwards (for the eg, swivel left to right). Instead of completing the transition and going backwards on both feet, lean into the direction you came from. Your feet go wide apart and scribe half a circle (left foot traveling forwards, right foot travelling backwards) and the effect is bleeding all your speed off in a tight J.

Having read this, it looks incomprehensible. Good luck. Best advice: Practice some different stuff at slow speeds before game day, and find what works.

There actually is a method of "hockey-stopping" on inlines. It isn't near the same thing as on ice, as it's more of a power slide. Basically, you seperate your feet, and turn your skates very sharply, causing your wheels to grip and stop you by applying lateral force. Your wheels will make alot of noise the faster you go, but it's the best way to play stop and go.

There actually is a method of "hockey-stopping" on inlines. It isn't near the same thing as on ice, as it's more of a power slide. Basically, you seperate your feet, and turn your skates very sharply, causing your wheels to grip and stop you by applying lateral force. Your wheels will make alot of noise the faster you go, but it's the best way to play stop and go.

well said. It looks similar to stopping on ice, entirely different method though.

The best of roller hockey players can consistently stop on a dime. Of course there are many factors that can affect the roller hockey stop such as correct wheels for surface and the conditions of floor (i.e; dusty floor, wet floor). It takes time to get used to, but once you practice you'll be fine. Make sure to practice stopping in both directions (facing left/facing right) although a lot of players are more proficient in one more so than the other. I myself am a lefty. ;)

Same problem here...

It is there an easiest method?

After 30 minutes tryng to stopping like on ice (with bad results...) i've changed doing tight turns but i can't turn as much as i want because wheels loose grip and i fall.

Like having skate unsharpened.

its easiest to do like a sharp turn and then itll make u stop quickly. Roller is definately harder to stop in then ice.

if you get some grippy wheels, you should stop easier without falling.

the grippier wheels feel like newly sharpened skates

And depending on which wheels you go with, the noise changes some. Ever want to scare someone, try powersliding inline speed skates. It's sounds louder and alot like the wheels are ripping apart from the core.

I have the opposite problem, I can stop in roller but I can't stop on ice. The best screech comes when stopping on a wood floor, it sounds like an 18 wheeler slammin' on the brakes.

I have the opposite problem, I can stop in roller but I can't stop on ice. The best screech comes when stopping on a wood floor, it sounds like an 18 wheeler slammin' on the brakes.

Yup. My college team practiced on wood. LOL good times...

you could try a t-stop if you are a beginner, but in a game wanting to make a quick t-stop just wont work

if you try to do a normal roller stop withought grippy wheels, your in trouble

i put on bad wheels cuz i was saving my good ones for a tourny, and they are just a little worn out and when you stop full speed on these wheels you can fall

you need very long lasting wheels that are grippy