Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

duffman014

Profiling Process

What is involved in profiling a skate? I ask because I use to drop my skates off at my local shop to get a "precision profile" as they called it, and a day or two later they would call me to pick them up. The work was always quality, but it seemed as if the process took a lot of time. Which doesn't bother me I just want my skates to feel good and they always have.

My local shop has now changed owners/staff and they told me they could profile my skates in 20 minutes. Does this sound right?

I have new bauer supreme 190 skates with the LS3 edge steel and I just can not get use to the 10ft radius so I want them to profile it to a 9ft radius. Should I trust these gentleman with my skates, or does this sound like a rush job?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Sorry if this was addressed before, I tried searching the Forum but could not find the answer I was looking for.

Depends on how busy a shop is, and if they have a dedicated machine/equipment to do the profiling, or maybe only a single employee who is trained at the task.

20 minutes is fairly reasonable for a profiling if nothing else is going on for them, especially only going from 10' to 9'. Not taking off or shaping a whole lot of steel. It's the set up that usually takes the most time.

My local shop has now changed owners/staff and they told me they could profile my skates in 20 minutes. Does this sound right?

I have new bauer supreme 190 skates with the LS3 edge steel and I just can not get use to the 10ft radius so I want them to profile it to a 9ft radius. Should I trust these gentleman with my skates, or does this sound like a rush job?

Yes, that is reasonable time to change a 10' to a 9, it's not a rush job. That's a simple change, not much grinding. If you were a 13' and wanted to change to a 8', or to a combination and also wanted a lot of pitch, that would take much longer. As others have said, it all depends on how busy the shop is. Some days I'm backed up on radius jobs it could be 2 days before I can get to one. Some days I'm caught up and if you walk in, I can do it while you wait.

What is involved in profiling a skate? I ask because I use to drop my skates off at my local shop to get a "precision profile" as they called it, and a day or two later they would call me to pick them up. The work was always quality, but it seemed as if the process took a lot of time. Which doesn't bother me I just want my skates to feel good and they always have.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Sorry if this was addressed before, I tried searching the Forum but could not find the answer I was looking for.

I'm very curious about the difference in the radius here - I had Mako's which had a 9 ft radius and now have the supreme 190's which have the 10 ft radius (by the way, my local total hockey seems to not know that it's a 10 ft radius they are saying it's 9ft), and I really haven't noticed a difference. Should I? What should I be looking for? Wouldn't be opposed to going back to 9ft if it would benefit me.

I'm very curious about the difference in the radius here - I had Mako's which had a 9 ft radius and now have the supreme 190's which have the 10 ft radius (by the way, my local total hockey seems to not know that it's a 10 ft radius they are saying it's 9ft), and I really haven't noticed a difference. Should I? What should I be looking for? Wouldn't be opposed to going back to 9ft if it would benefit me.

You are talking stock radius which are never consistent or accurate. No guaranty the Eastons had a precise 9', nor the LS3's on your 190's an exact 10'. You might not notice a difference, plus not a great difference between a 9' and a 10' anyway.