Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Solidus433

Need some skate advice.

I getting back into hockey after a LONG time away, last played when I was about 15, and that was street hockey. Well here i am 15 years later and Im looking into joining a league in the coming months. im not planning on playing in any advanced leagues, or tournaments, just a once a week league with some friends and am having a hard time with skates. Obviously a $400+ pair of skates would be a waste of money, but would something like the Mission Axiom A.3 also be a waste? Im looking for a skate that will be comfortable, semi-durable(will only be wearing it 2-3 times per week) and will be a decent performing skate. I know you "get what you pay for" but im on a limited budget being a father of three. Any and all held would be greatly appreciated.

Get a skate in the $200-$300 pricepoint. They will last, be heat moldable, and will have better components. What surface are you skating on?

I'd try and find a few more $'s and look at the Alkali CA3. Then again a few more $'s lets you look at the Mission A5 or T6. The T6 is a reasonably good skate and another few $'s gets you into the Alkali CA5.

Every time I see someone wearing a bottom end skate from a new range I wonder if they will last any better. And every year my impressions haven't changed, you get about a year's worth of use out of them and then you are in the market again (I have yet to see how the Alkali range will go).

It also depends if you want new or are willing look at second hand (and have the time to hunt for them). For the $200 - $300 price point you can pick up a really good pair off forums / eBay / craigslist etc. A lot does depend on your size (availability) and you would need try some on to get the feel of them (team mates can help here). If you measure your foot there are many people here who will help you with the right sizing.

I believe the surface is tile. Like I said, I have not played in a long time, so I don't know what the indoor surfaces are called. I wear between a 9.5 and 10 with regular shoes, so looking at sizing charts in need a 8 or 8.5 skate. The only reason I'm even asking is because my skate budget right now is looking like 150 at the absolute max. And again, I will be playing in one, maybe 2 10 game seasons per year.

Do you have a shop near you? Each skate has a different fit, and its best to try them on and not to trust the guidelines. I wear a size 11 shoe and I'm in a 8.5 skate. So obviously the guidelines don't include everyone :)

The tile will wear on the boot less and not be as hard on the wheels, which is good.

check any Play It Again sports shops in your area first as you can find lightly used skates for significantly cheaper than new a lot of the time. If you do go new something like the Alkali CA3 or Mission A4 is within budget and should provide a decent entry level package with all purpose wheels

No roller hockey shops that I know of. But there is a at it again I believe. Not sure if the place where I'm going to play has a problem shop or not.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. After doing some more research, im pretty sure I'm just going to hold off on my purchase right now to save up the extra money for the Mission T.6 It might be more than necessary to start, but I want to buy a good skate that will prove to be worth the money and hopefully last a couple years.

Ok, so wanting the best bang for buck, heres another question for the more informed peoe. Im looking to spend around 200 on a pair of skates and am torn between the bauer xr3's, mission axiom t6's, and the alkali ca5's. I cant find any side by side reviews or comparisons and was wondering if anyone could comment of the quality of any of these skates. I know ultimately it comes down to personal preference but i was just curious of actual experience with any of these skates.

I've only seen T6's so can't comment on the others. With the T6, the tongue isn't that great. If you like lacing your boots up really really tight you will end up with lace bite at some time soon. We fixed the issue by getting some old tongues and cutting them to shape and gluing them over the top of the existing tongue. Other than this they are a solid skate.

The T-6 is really good. Had mine for 8 months, 2-3 times a week. I weigh 210 and they are still stiff and holding up well. What Vet88 stated regarding lace bite, I can attest to personally. I need to try his suggestion for the tongue.

Thanks Vet!

Check out the our CA5 skate. The boot is indestructible, extremely comfortable, and has great performance. I can answer any questions directly if you have them: justin@allkalihockey.com

you really just need to somehow get a way to try on all the skates. i read a ton of good reviews for the mission axiom t7 skate, and they just happened to have an 80$ pair on clearance at a store near me when i randomly stopped in looking at sticks, it was my size, but i had to pass up the deal because they were just way too wide in the ankle for my liking.