Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

waione

Who is the best goalie ?

I completey agree that Vladislov Tretiak is pry the single best goaltender of all-time even though he never played in the NHL; I just can't believe it took over an hour and one and a half forum pages for people on the internet (Hello!!!Google anyone?!?!) other than Chad to know/figure out who he is. I'm truely disappointed.

I'm sure the fact that nobody knows who he is was has to do with the age of most of the people on here....he was probably the greatest goalie ever though!

(although Canada actually won '76 Canada Cup over the Czechs. '72 wasn't the Canada Cup and Canada won the series 4-3-1 ;) )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Canada_Cup

http://www.1972summitseries.com/

like I said I wasn't going to comment on anyone I haven't seen play, but Tretiak definitely deserves to be mentioned. I wish I had the opprotunity to watch him play, but he retired the year I was born.

yeah i wish i could have seen him play to but ive seen a bunch iof vids of him

a must see is him doin up-downs

amazing! he does 'em so fast and so perfect its insane

what about age im friggin 14 and i know probably the most about him

I was saying the age of most, not all...your an exception then (your dad probably helps)...

As to knowing the most, umm...see my previous post...this may be up for discussion.... 1972 Canada Cup didn't exist by the way - it was know as the Summit Series (Canada beat the USSR 4-3-1), the first Canada Cup was in 1976 which Canada won (see the links in my first post)

Anyway, not trying to start a bun fight, Tretiak was definitely up there with the best, if not the best...it is too bad he never had a chance to play in the NHL.

I think that while Tretiak was a great goalie, he is slightly overrated. Look at the team he had in front of him. If he had come to the NHL he would have been good, but his numbers wouldn't have been as good as his with the Russian team.

gold medals in '72 '76 '84 and the silver medal in '80 from the loss to US in thus leading to the Miracle on Ice, but only played 1 period,

USA beat russia to get into the finals at lake placid, they played finland in the gold medal game.

I think that while Tretiak was a great goalie, he is slightly overrated. Look at the team he had in front of him. If he had come to the NHL he would have been good, but his numbers wouldn't have been as good as his with the Russian team.

Agreed

Grant Fuhr was pretty freakin good too! Plus you gotta love a coked up goalie on ice!

gold medals in '72 '76 '84 and the silver medal in '80 from the loss to US in thus leading to the Miracle on Ice, but only played 1 period,

USA beat russia to get into the finals at lake placid, they played finland in the gold medal game.

i know sis i say that they won. no i didnt i know that The US won ive seen miracle multiple times

Actually USSR did get the Silver in 1980 although it wasn't as a result of losing in the "Miracle" game...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_on_Ice

"Often, the game against Soviet Union is called the "semifinal" and the game against Finland is called the "final" or the "gold medal game". This is not quite accurate. In 1980 Olympics, each of the four teams who qualified for the medal round (U.S., USSR, Sweden, Finland) played the teams that they did not yet play. The team with the most points against the other teams in the medal round would become the Olympic champion. After the U.S. upset the Soviet Union, each team in the medal round except Finland still had a chance to win the gold medal, depending on the results of the last two games."

Final Results...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at...Winter_Olympics

no look at this is the standing s after the medal games played:

Gm W-L-T Pts GF GA

1 USA (6-0-1) 3 2-0-1 5 10 7

2 USSR (6-1-0) 3 2-1-0 4 16 8

3 Sweden (4-1-2) 3 0-1-2 2 7 14

4 Finland (3-3-1) 3 0-2-1 1 7 11

notice USSR second and Finland fourth

thats because back then if you played in the gold medal game a lost you didnt get the silver, i think thats what i remeber hearing..

it kind of was if the US lost the wouldnt have medalled at all its all confusing but to the US it was the Gold Medal game cause they had to win it to get the gold medal

Trediak is by far not the best goalie ever!

He had an amazing team infront of him who destroyed everyone they played, and not until they played a team that actually competed with them (Team USA in the 80 Games) He showed how he really was. Just a normal goalie with an outstanding defensive and offensive line. He got pulled, remember that.

Best goalie, statistically, Patrick Roy.

Best current goalie. Martin Brodeur (he always used small equipment too)

Best young goalie. Hannu Toivenen--Marc Andre Fleury is a good goalie, but still needs to grow, same with Ryan Miller. He will take a year or 2 before he is a reliable starter.