Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZamboniFever

CAG One? Skate sharpening issues...

Question for anyone out there that has used, or knows about, the CAG one sharpeners... I was considering buying a CAG One and haven't found a lot of great comments or reviews on them here on modsquad.

The consensus here on modsquad over the years is that the CAG One is good for profiling BUT not good for sharpening.

What is it about the CAG sharpeners that makes them not great at sharpening? I've seen comments that sharpening is more of an art than a science but I'm having difficulty believing that... having sharpened a ton of skates myself.

If the CAG can maintain good contact at the skate blade and has an constant speed pass - then why doesn't the sharpening come out great? I trust that there is something about the way that the CAG works that makes it not a great sharpening... and I'm curious to know about anyone's theories?

Thanks in advance.

I have a ton of hands on experience with the Cag One machine. We used to use the Cag for profiling only. It lets us fast profile, and by not sharpening on it we didn't go through stones or diamonds very often, just running an around 1" hollow made the profile more effective(less passes). You can easily sharpen on them. But it your doing lots of skates your going to be dressing the stone all the time.

PMurphy17 - Why is dressing the stone on the CAG One any different than on one of the table top units (e.g. Blackstone)?

Are there any issues with the heel/toe area of a skate that has been sharpened by this machine? In watching videos on youtube it looks like there might be a little bounce of the wheel on the blade when the grinding wheel first makes contact with the skate.

Don't confuse the CAG Profiler with the CAG Sharpener, they are two different machines. The profiler doesn't sharpen great, the Sharpener does.