Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Custom Stick Grips

I ordered a custom 3-pack of sticks from Passau. After a long 13 week wait they arrived, but they were both the wrong size and they did not give me the special paddle shape I had requested. They informed me that they don't offer the special paddle shape anymore (which is a big problem because if I don't use that shape, I have to go an inch shorter overall). But they were at least two inches too big (three inches total compared to a stick I'd use with a standard paddle shape). Clearly a mistake.

I decided to try to see if I could cut a grip myself.

First I tried it with a dremel on an old junk stick, and that seemed to work okay (right is the stick I was modeling, left is the junk stick):

IMG_1318.thumb.JPG.389035540c0424af577154d512048531.JPG

I decided I was confident in doing it myself, I figured since I'm going to cut the custom grip myself anyway I might as well just use the sticks they sent me and get some money back, rather than sending these back and having a new set made. So last night I gave it a shot. Again I used the dremel, which meant the cuts weren't super smooth and precise but it got the job done. For the other two sticks I'm likely going to run out and get a palm sander instead.

Here are the results:

IMG_1322.thumb.JPG.bd9ae632b29cb93692fe87a248d84349.JPG

IMG_1327.thumb.JPG.4829da07d3e861647c035d28874c34e3.JPG

IMG_1328.thumb.JPG.dd23fa9f0fd76b78dd0921a093c471ba.JPG

IMG_1329.thumb.JPG.8ac90cd66b5a4d7eea5353663a5c5a95.JPG

IMG_1330.thumb.JPG.7ba88d9f2b4ca0ab353e628459bee2d2.JPG

IMG_1331.thumb.JPG.162ef2344b662935c94935f64272171b.JPG

As you can see, I taped the grip with my standard grip tape job, added a custom Russian Grip and taped the blade. It's not perfect and it sucks that the logo is now in the wrong place and mostly covered by my blocker, but considering I'm getting a partial refund on the sticks it will definitely suffice. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hills said:

Did you manage to get pictures of the inside of the stick before you taped it up? 

A few but theyre nothing special.

IMG_1324.thumb.JPG.eed1d81588216b751be862df665029f3.JPG

IMG_1326.thumb.JPG.28c5ea9c817a70ae28311ce5cfee3b1e.JPG

If you have a neighbor with a router table and a jigsaw, buy them a 6 pack and have them make a template from your modeling stick, and use the router with a straight cutting bit and you'll get a much cleaner result. Plus you'll have the template so you can get it spot on exact for every subsequent stick you need re-cut.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DRR said:

If you have a neighbor with a router table and a jigsaw, buy them a 6 pack and have them make a template from your modeling stick, and use the router with a straight cutting bit and you'll get a much cleaner result. Plus you'll have the template so you can get it spot on exact for every subsequent stick you need re-cut.

I don't know any of my neighbors. That said, using a palm sander instead of a dremel would get me a much cleaner result too. Would go much quicker, too.

I played with this stick for the first time on Sunday. Felt great, didn't even notice the small imperfections. 

• Like 1