Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Stick Flex Weight?

Does anyone have any insight if the weight of a stick becomes heavier or lighter with different flexes? I assume I could just grab a bunch of sticks off the showroom floor and weigh them but I am at home right now. I assume if there is a difference in weight it will likely only be a few grams as the flex rating increases? Reason for me asking is higher flex rated sticks always seem to feel lighter to me for some odd reason. 

This is an absolute guess, but perhaps the lower flex sticks feel slightly more blade heavy to you, (less material in the shaft with the exact same blade)?

On 7/12/2019 at 6:15 PM, Nicholas G said:

Does anyone have any insight if the weight of a stick becomes heavier or lighter with different flexes? I assume I could just grab a bunch of sticks off the showroom floor and weigh them but I am at home right now. I assume if there is a difference in weight it will likely only be a few grams as the flex rating increases? Reason for me asking is higher flex rated sticks always seem to feel lighter to me for some odd reason. 

Interesting question. The weight difference is probably negligible as a player will add weight to their stick as they add stuff to their stick, like hockey tape, grip tape, blade protecting sticker, butt grip wrap, stick wax etc.

I'm not in the industry but from the golfing world... It's not always universal but usually most shafts (in this case hockey sticks) that require more stiffness (in this case Flex rating) tend to be heavier. It's still pretty rare to find a 50g shaft that is more stiff than a 100g one. There's a lot of new matsci stuff happening, so light weight shafts are getting stiffer than ever, but in universal terms... you simply need more material to make it more stiff. I would assume that a 75 flex all else equal is maybe a few gram lighter than a 100 flex.