Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fletch

Edges - different radius'

A buddy of mine is going to start playing and I'm having trouble explaining the differences in radius' to him. Can anyone give me a rundown of the different radius' so I can help him out?

The lower the number the deeper the cut. The deeper the cut, the less glide.

Ex.

1/8 --> Deeper cut, not alot of glide, but alot of bite

7/8 --> Shallower cut, a fair amount of glide, less bite

-- I hope thats what you were looking for.

And is there some kind of chart I can find with all the different cuts you can get with descriptions of how they'll feel? That would probably help the most.

It's dependant on so many factors, just stick to the basics. If he feels he is too deep on the ice tell'em to go shallower (higher fraction).

I'd start at 1/2" and go from there, just keep changing every sharpening to get a feel for different radius.

Questions to consider: is he heavier, or lighter? Heavier guys most likely don't want a deep hollow, but lighter dude's might need a deeper one in order to cut into the ice.

Also, does the player emphasize speed (shallow hollow), or cornering/cutting tightly (deep hollow)?

And, of course, the ultimate - personal preference response.......