Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Megamandan

AM I too young? (Operate Skate sharpener)

I applied for a job at my LHS and got it. My manager said he had to check on something before I started working, and that is if I'm allowed to use a skate sharpener. I'm 17 so I'm considered a Minor, does this mean I'll be screwed according to labor laws because of the use of a skater sharpener? I've used one before but that was on a shadow of an equipment manager. I wanted to know if I'm SOL now because of a labor law and if this has happened to anyone else? Thanks.

in canada it 16. but you can work at 15 if your parents sign a waver

You can work when you're 14 in parts of BC but chances are people won't want to hire you.

Yeah I live in New York and it's being checked on as of right now. I'm getting a call wednesday about it. I just pisses me off I can't work if I'm not allowed to use one. Of course the labor laws may not have an effect or can be re-worded, I'm just hoping for the best. (lucky canadiens! ;) )

What would labour laws have anything to do with you shapening skates?

The main thing is more than likely INSURANCE, and if he could be liable if a minor hurts themselves operating the machine.

Because of the machinery it could be classified as a dangerous job, which wouldn't allow him to work under certain labour laws.

Skate sharpeners are pretty dangerous. Not as bad as a table saw or a drill press, but still you have to watch out.

The grinding wheel can explode, sending shrapenel thru the room. This is especially true if you drop the wheel onto the ground before it is mounted on the machine. You should always "tap" the wheel lightly before you mount it, and make sure it has a nice clear "ring". Also, after installing a new wheel, you should turn on the machine and run out of the room, come back after 5 minutes and assess the damage.

The dust from the grinding wheel can build up in your lungs. You should not breath it.

Stuff can get thrown off the wheel, and take out your eye.

If you have long hair, the hair can get caught in the wheel for a wild ride!

You could get a finger jammed between the wheel and the guard, ripping it off.

Any bling (jewelry) can get caught in the wheel, and grind off your face/hand.

Some irate parent could give you a hard time (probably the worst!).