Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruin88

getting/staying in shape

The JackHammer and the wrist roller (2 previous posts) work the wrist flexion and extension and are good for grip strength.

But, hockey players also need to work the other 2 degrees of freedom (3 total) in the wrists for stickhandling and shooting: rotating the entire forearm (e.g. twisting a doorknob or using a screwdriver) (I think this is the most important one for shots), and rotating the hands in the same plane as the two forearm bones.

Mods: perhaps we need to add "training" and "skills" sections to the board?

Running every day can be too much especially if you are going long distances. You can start to become overly fatigued for games and have an increased risk of injury from the repetitive pounding. A lot of cardio helps if you need to work to get back into shape but once you get near your ideal playing weight and body fat %, cardio is just important to maintain that weight. Doing interval workouts where you mix sprints with light jogging or walking is good. Mix your workouts up to keep it interesting. Ride a bike, run hills, climb stairs, do plyos, and take 1-2 days off per week. Spinning classes are also great because they're non-impact, good for both cardio and interval training. A slide board is also good because it sort of simulates a skating motion.

For building your wrists here is another product available, although you could probably just make your own:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/superfoot/arsuwrro.html

Even people who have been running for years will typically only do it 3-5 days per week. Body needs a rest.

I read an article once about a year ago about how H.S. sports need to alternate workout from "skills" days so that the body has time to recover and regain strength. If you know the difference between Strength muscles and Endurance muscles, you'll find that Endurance muscles can regenerate faster than Strength.

Some Body builders will work out muscle groups as far apart as 4-5 days because they work them so hard.

If you only run a couple miles 3 days a week, you'll see a marked improvement in just a cople weeks. Then you can really figure out what your body can take.

(of course this is my perspective from a 39 year old)

I can think of one thing to help the wrists, order the Playboy channel... :P

Seriously though, get a grip strength thing and do it while you are watching TV or on the computer or anything basically. It may not work quite as good as rolling your wrists, but it is much more portable.

grab a stick with both hands shoulder width apart both hands palms down. Extend your arms fully and keep them level with the floor. Now quickly rotate the stick in your hands forwards then after a bit backwards. I've also seen this done with a weight attached to a string where you would wind up the string and once the weight reaches the stick proceed to unwind it the same way. Do it quickly and you'll feel it in your forearms. Probably the best exercise I can think of to both strengthen and quicken your wrists.

I can second that! It is a perfect for and old broken stick. And definatly use a weight. Be sure to not let the weight do the work while it is dropping, do the work yourself.

I can second that! It is a perfect for and old broken stick. And definatly use a weight. Be sure to not let the weight do the work while it is dropping, do the work yourself.

That goes for any lifting exercise. You want to create the same resistance while bringing that weight down.