Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

warrior37

Body Fat Percentage

i know this is not the same as the BMI -body mass index-, but what is a good range and or target for your body fat %, also what is a good and or easy way to check, thanks

Good bodyfat percentage is below 10% for hockey, if you go lower, it doesn't hurt either, as it lowers your center of balance.

Good ways to check are the things that measure your skin flaps, unfortunately, I can't recall for the life of me what they're called. Also, some scales these days that run around 50-60 dollars can measure BF% with electrodes.

I have a scale that measures body fat percentage, it seems to work well. The rule of thumb seems to be anywhere from 8% and under. 10% sounds good too.

I have a scale that measures body fat percentage, it seems to work well. The rule of thumb seems to be anywhere from 8% and under. 10% sounds good too.

I acutally I read that 8% is a low for hockey.

In order to perform optimally a hockey player should aim for 9.5% or less body fat (determined by the Yuhasz equation). - NHL Central Scouting

For an entry draft a few years ago the results are as follows

average 9.4

low 6.7

high 15.0

The standard varies team to team and league to league. When I was in Norfolk the guys were all kiddin each other (or the "thicker" players) about the team under 12 rule, before morning stretch.

"Body weight can be viewed as having two components; a fat component and a fat free (muscle, bone and fluid) component. Overweightness is a result of an excess of fat. By measuring the fat that is stored under the skin at various sites on the body it is possible to determine the total amount of fat on the body and hence the percent of the player's body weight that is fat. I order to perform optimally a hockey player should aim for 9.5% or less body fat (determined by the Yuhasz equation)." -- NH Central Scouting "Detailed Fitness and Medical Assessment Protocols for NHL Entry Draft Players"

From the pictures, they are using a caliper at various point, just like that "brainiac" caliper.

I am planning on buying one of those scales, so its nice to hear it works well.

I found this while surfing the net...

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/fatcent.htm

I used the rough estimate calculator just to see what I'd come up with. And Im 6 foot 145-150... and when I put 145 in it says -1% and 150 2%..haha

I love the rough estimate tools. They basically assume you have no muscle mass at all.

In gym class we have a thing that caculates our body fat, I got approx. 10 which gave me an 'excellent' rating.

In gym class we have a thing that caculates our body fat, I got approx. 10 which gave me an 'excellent' rating.

yeah same here

All methods are estimates, but some are more accurate than others.

If I rememmber correctly, the most accurate method involves water displacement. The equipment & training is expensive though, so it's not very common.

The next best method is the calipers. The more places they measure, the more accurate it should be.

The next best is the scales & such. The problem with these is that they rely on how your body conducts electricity. This is very much affected by your body chemistry and can vary quite a bit from day to day. If you use one of these things and drop from 15% to 12% in one day, don't get too excited. You should probably average your measurements over several days to get a more accurate picture.

8% to 12% is where most high-level male athletes are at.