Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chris52

Should anything be done to boards.

Hi im from uk and havent been on for ages. The reason for this is that i broke my fibula on the boards after being triped at full speed and hit the boards. I was wondering what u boys & gals now about the set up of the boards as the surgeon who sore me said if there were to be more give in the boards i will have not broken the biggest bone in my body.

There isn't too much you can do to soften the boards, especially at the bottom.

that could be true

i have played on rinks with stiff board and they hurt bad when you get checked, ive also played on pro style boards with seamless glass, they feel so soft when you get hit.

The seamless glass is much harder than the glass with supports. Boards can be stiff or have give with either type of glass.

There isn't too much you can do to soften the boards, especially at the bottom.

Both true, and not true....

The Dallas Stars were the first to implement some new "flex" board design. The upper part of the boards is built with some give (has some sort of shock absorber in the board so it bends).

The bottom is still rock solid (as I recall). There was talk that the NHL liked the design so much, they were going to see about making it a requirement for new arenas (and old arenas to implement by X date). Don't recall whatever became of that.

Regardless, seemless glass (like that in Toronto) requires boards that are like a cement wall. It should be outlawed - ESPECIALLY with the touch-up icing rule. Going mach 5 with someone tight on your heals like that, it's no wonder why Alyn McCauley's noodle was mush from playing in Toronto.

that could be true

i have played on rinks with stiff board and they hurt bad when you get checked, ive also played on pro style boards with seamless glass, they feel so soft when you get hit.

i meant the boards are soft and they give well.

Hi im from uk and havent been on for ages. The reason for this is that i broke my fibula on the boards after being triped at full speed and hit the boards. I was wondering what u boys & gals now about the set up of the boards as the surgeon who sore me said if there were to be more give in the boards i will have not broken the biggest bone in my body.

Which rink? Telford by any chance?