Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drewhunz

Skating tips

I am thinking about taking skating lessons, but I don't want to look like an idiot. I only have 2 questions.

1. How do you do a "hockey stop"? Do you have to commit yourself to it, or does it just start to happen?

2. How do you transition to skating backwards?

I think skating lessons would help a lot, expecially if you don't come from in-line but you are "new" to skating.

I personally started with a figure skating instructor that teached me a lot and definitely was a great thing.

Anyway you dont go anywere without a lot of practice...

Skating lessens are really good. That is how I started.

Power skating lessons are much better for hockey players.

Order the Laura Stamm DVD. Its worth the $$ if you are starting out.

Skating lessons, if they are general at the local arena may favor figure skaters and they may show you how to snow plow. When I took mine (for adults) they did not show how to hockey stop. Also the pivot they showed was a one foot pivot used by figure skaters.

It took a hockey coach to get me to pivot from forward to backward at high speed before I did it right.

I help out kids on a hockey league (some of the pre teens are better skaters than me).

Here is how I suggest you start out on a hockey stop.

#1 Make sure your blades are sharpened. Learning on dull blades will give you a false feeling and will mess you up when you get them sharpened.

Your probably going to stop to one side better than the other at the beginning. Lets say like most you have been going fast and turning left from the arena.

Stand with your feet shoulder width apart.

Put weight on the inside edges and bend your knees.

Now put most of your weight on your left skate (inside edge) and then move your right skate outward to the side shaving the ice. Get used to that feeling.

Now as you do this, begin to put more and more weight on the "Shaving" right skate. This I think is a really good excercise to feel the edges dig in. You should be shaving mostly from the center part of the skate forward. Don't shave from your heel.

Next progress to shaving sideways but start to say take a small step first then shave outward.

Mak your skates like this:

Left Right

| \

Take a step then shave

As you feel comfortable, keep progressing moving forward then shaving with that one foot.

You should be able to progress faster and faster then stopping by shaving with the one foot.

Eventually you will feel comfortable to move the left foot and shave with the OUTSIDE edge of that foot

Left Right

\ \

I'm no expert on the hockey stop but this works really well for the kids.

Also, my power skating coach usually barks out a few things that you need to keep in mind once you progress beyond the small "step then shave".

1) Don't look down at the ice, head up

2) Turn your shoulders, head and hips in the direction of the turn (Left in my examples) before you start to slide

3) Knees bend

4) Weight on Ball (front half of skates)

5) feet apart

If your falling, thats ok, it just means your trying.

If your falling forward its probably because of your head position or you are bending your back, and not your knees.

When can stop to one side, work on the other.

Good luck!

A lot of places now have "instructional" leagues too (especially in non-traditional hockey states, such as, say, Tampa or Dallas). Essentially, they have equal parts games and practices, with an actual coach that will walk you through basic hockey stuff (where to line up, basic positional theory, etc) as well as hockey-skill fundementals (skating drills, stick&puck, etc).

That might be the best comprimise of all.

Which one is better ? Robby Glantz' or Laura Stamm's DVD ?

Theres always something which you can improve so i would buy the dvd.

i've seen a lot of people practice by skating toward the boards. that way, if they don't stop well, they hit the boards full speed. it motivates some people, i guess.

ditto on the skate sharpening thing. sharp skates dig into the ice more, making it easier to stop.

-k

Practiced my stops for 3 hours last night: starting to get the hang of it. Live in Texas, so skiing is out of the question, but might join the instructional hockey league. Thanks a lot guys.

Lessons are good, suggest you take some.

On the hockey stop, I see many beginners digging in too much. When starting off, think about sliding accross the top of the ice with your blades in the "hockey stop" position. Be light on your feet and slide accross instead of pushing down with your outside (front) foot.

When learning to stop, it's actually easier to do so with duller skates as it helps you do what I described above.

Good luck,

JJ

I am thinking about taking skating lessons, but I don't want to look like an idiot.

I HIGHLY recommend taking lessons. I'm 34, and crush the scales at 300lbs so I can understand not wanting to look like an idiot. I just started learning to skate in January by taking lessons at my local rink in Addison, TX. My first coach was a figure skater, but she got me throught he basics. In March I started working with a hockey coach. At my rink the classes are arranged in intro (what are skates), hockey 1,2,3,4. In hockey 1 and 2 it's all about learning to skate and in 3 & 4 they start working on stick handling and stuff. I set myself with a goal to be ready to join an I-League team in November. I have been practicing up at the rink for a few hours every saturday since I started, I really like skating. After my first "semester" with the hockey coach I noticed that I wasn't improving as quickly as I had during the earlier class despite all my practice. During my saturday practices I met a few of the private coaches and one of them was kind enought to offer hints and suggestions every now and then. Finally I decided to hire him along with my other class so I could make sure I would get a good workout. It has paid off. My monday night coach through the rink told me the other night that I am now skating as good as if not better than some I-Leaguers he knows and that I am ready for the tuesday night classes (hockey 3 & 4). Needless to say I am extatic. I also must brag a little and say that I have actually had some of the high school coaches who work at the rink come up to may and say how impressed they are that someone of my age and size has taken up the sport so late in life. I'm just sorry I hadn't stared all this sooner.

Its nice doing this when you're older because I am doing it for fun I don't care that the 8 year old can skate circles around me without hardly breaking a sweat or that I have to take a sit after sprinting for a few minutes. I'll get there eventually. It took me a good 20 years to get this out of shape and I'm not gonna be great overnight.

The bottom line is that if you really want to learn to skate or be better than you are, don't worry about what others think or say just go out there and do it. If the little children on the rink wanna mock you, let them they are children after all it's what they do. Heck were we any different when we were their age?

BTW, where in Texas are you? I'm in Dallas, near Addison.

Awall, You and Drew should hook up for some skinny (no pun, it's what they call, essentially, pick up) - aka shinny (depends - I've heard it called both, but then again, could just be bad Quebecois accents). There are a few posters here from the metroplex area, in fact.

There is a free skate at the Frisco Dr. Pepper StarCenter from 1:00-4:30 tomorrow in the 5,000 seat arena. I'll be there tomorrow- hope to see some of you there. P.S. I'll be the big guy in the Grafs.

Is it just public skate (i.e., family skate in circles), or is it stick & puck?

Pubic skate, but it's been pretty empty lately.

Drop in is always on the Stars' rink.

Drew, you might want to look into the skating and hockey classes with "Whip" Wiley at the DPSC Plano. From what I hear, they're pretty good preparation for hockey. A couple of guys on my team went through them, and I'm inclined to agree.

Former goon Brent Sevryn was offering classes in the area not that long ago that everyone said were real intense. Last I heard, he was working out of Addison, but that was quite a few months back.