Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CardinalHcky19

whats the best hockey camp that you've been to

Mine would probably be a camp run by Christian Ministries in Cleveland Ohio. They provide you with breakfast, lunch, and dinner depending on if it's a stay-in camp.

I like Planet Hockey Skills Camp. I really like the knowledge and disposition of the coaches. I went to the camp as an adult and have sent my daughters also; I thought they had great patience with the kids.

They also have a Planet Hockey Ranch in Salida, Colorado, which is really cool. Every day the campers do dryland training for hockey, while every other day the campers either are on ice or doing a cool activity, like mountain climbing, whitewater river rafting, horseback riding (I think).

Their website is Planet Hockey.

Okanagon hockey schools are the best, as well as Steve Serdachny's power skating and Body by Bennett (local Edmonton).

http://www.hockeyschools.com

They also have a Midget AAA calibre team, and a Junior B team (Summerland Sting, KIJHL) who play out of their organization.

Okanagon hockey schools are the best, as well as Steve Serdachny's power skating and Body by Bennett (local Edmonton).

http://www.hockeyschools.com

They also have a Midget AAA calibre team, and a Junior B team (Summerland Sting, KIJHL) who play out of their organization.

I agree Steve Serdachny's was amazing. It really helped with my skating.

David Roy's Edge of Excellence camps are great for those looking to gain speed and quickness, and, most of all, proper skating technique.

Junior camps are fun casue you play game's all time and if your good enough you get signed but for skill probaly Okanagon camps.

I went to Dan Murphy's defencemen's camp 2 summers ago, and he is an incredible coach overall. It is unfortunate that he ended up going to taft. He could have created his own dynasty as a coach after gardner.

Its hard to beat a Turcotte stickhandling camp. It is the sort of camp where you have some fun and learn some moves, but do not realize its impact until 6 months later when you notice that you are doing all sort of dangles and fakes without even thinking about it.

I'd have to say the best camps I've been to have been Turcotte, Laura Stamm power skating, and Draft Choice which was instructed by Wayne Gagne (great guy).

Laura Stamm camps are very good for skating stride and basics in a group setting. However, in hindsight I think to really skate well, you have to find a figure skating instructor and get some one-on-one lessons. A figure skating instructor will be there watching only you skate for the full 1/2 hour, making minor corrections until you are doing it perfectly.

I agree with you Biff, when I started this great sport I've grown to love and cherish it all started by skating with a figure skating instructor. They really help you learn the balance and use of edges, for anyone wanting to really learn how to skate I would suggest seeing a figure skating instructor.

Anybody been to, or know someone who has been to, The Notre Dame Hockey Camp in South Bend IN. ?

My squirt son is going away in 2 weeks to his first away camp. The first camp he picked had 6 hours of ice time daily, and I just felt that was too much for a 10 yr old.

So he chose Notre Dame as a back up because we have family ties to the school. Anyone have any experience with it?

Notre Dame, as in Athol Murray college of Notre Dame in Wilcox Saskatchewan, or you talking notre dame as in fighting irish notre dame.

I agree with you Biff, when I started this great sport I've grown to love and cherish it all started by skating with a figure skating instructor. They really help you learn the balance and use of edges, for anyone wanting to really learn how to skate I would suggest seeing a figure skating instructor.

Boy that's true. I played with a guy who started out figure skating just like his two brothers. He was a small defenseman but man he was a a solid skater.His brothers both played in the league and he ended up as a College All American at Harvard.

He would ocassionally turn a double axle in full gear when we were goofing around in practice.

Notre Dame, as in Athol Murray college of Notre Dame in Wilcox Saskatchewan, or you talking notre dame as in fighting irish notre dame.

Fighting Irish, baby. Thems my peeps.

Boy that's true. I played with a guy who started out figure skating just like his two brothers. He was a small defenseman but man he was a a solid skater.His brothers both played in the league and he ended up as a College All American at Harvard.

He would ocassionally turn a double axle in full gear when we were goofing around in practice.

There are subtle differences between the skating a figure skater will teach you, and the skating you need to know for hockey. Because you have a stick and are trying to protect a puck, you do some things in hockey (notably balance) quite differently. But figure skating instructors are good for the first couple of years. They get you to skate upright, balanced, and using all four of the edges. (inside fwd, inside backwards, outside fwd, outside backwards).

After you have that down (maybe 2 summers worth of lessons), you need to find a really good hockey coach to take you further.

NHL teams use Figure skating instructors to teach their players. The key is to pick someone who knows hockey, and will teach a hockey player to skate, not turn him into a figure skater.

Turcotte was fun, Robby Glantz(sp?) were both good, but i just like the local ones my coach puts on along with the local shop's camp during summer.