Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

footface

skates and feet

Hey,

So after about 10 years of not being on skates I want to start playin again...Seems a lot has changed....Ive been reading this forum and some other sites trying to catch up and figure out what I need to get.

1. Im about 45 min North on NYC..and cant find a good local shop...any ideas?

2. I have since developled some funky feet...high arches and what they call claw toes(hah..i love sayin that)..but im getting them fixed..so hopefully they will go back to normal soon.:)

..but a good comfortable pair of skates is super important...It seems that a lot of people are saying the Tour skates are the most comfortable...but some say differentlyh...i guess I need to find a shop and try em all on and see what fits best for me...but again..cant find a place that sells Tour in my area...just mission and a few other brands.

3. It looks like i'll be playin outside on concrete and maybe on some roller hockey rinks that I THINK ive found in the area... so what should i do for wheels? Will the wheels that come on the skates suffice? Or should I switch em out for something more durable?

4. hmm..I guess thats it...

Thanks,

Tim

This is what id do if i was in your position, just my 2 cents.

1. im not from that area, so cant help you there.

2.for comfort i would go with some bakeable missions. ive never felt anything as comfortable! if you have problems with the arches, try changing the insoles. superfeet or shockdoctor ones should be good.

3. depending on what skates you get will determine if you need new wheels or not. lower end skates tend to have harder, more durable wheels, where as top end skates tend to have better performance, softer wheels on, e.g. labeda dynastys, which have better grip etc, but will die on concrete/outdoor. so the harder, the longer they last usually, but that sacrifices grip. if you change your wheels i would recommend the rink rat world cup wheels. theyre on offer for $2.99 for cosmetic blemished ones on epuck.

4. Hope this helps, sorry its a bit of a long Post! any questions just PM me.

You might want to check with Theo, I believe he lives close enough that he may be able to provide some insight on shops in your area.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies... I was in NYC today - went to Blades. They had some Tour skates. Tried em on...loved the way they felt. So I bought em...way more comfortable than anything else I ever owned...although this was a good 10 years ago... they couldnt bake em there..but Im sure my local ice hockey rink can do that for me..

As far as wheels go, I guess Ill get a pair of the hyper pro 150's for outdoor..I hear they are good. hmmm...i guess thats it. Thanks for being here...this is a great forum. I'll surely be hanging out here from time to time.

-t

if your 45 minutes north of the city you essentially live right near me, check out Wesco Sports Center in Brookfield, Ct.

Edit - Didn't read the last post.

if your 45 minutes north of the city you essentially live right near me, check out Wesco Sports Center in Brookfield, Ct.

Edit - Didn't read the last post.

wesco sports doesnt carry alot of roller blades anymore

Yea. Been to wesco for ice gear...tried on some mission inlines..they were ok..but really wanted to try the Tour skates - which they dont carry...So, where do you play up here? I found a few outdoor rinks...but they seem to be empty...guess ill have to recruit a bunch of guys and get some pick up games goin!

westchester county... on the north side of westchester we hit the ct border..danbury brookefield being on the other side...and southern westchester can be in stamford or greenwich in 30 minutes... but..ahh.. im not sure if anyone cares. :)

I live in Greenwich, There is a good adult league in Stamford twin rinks. Also pick up in Darien, stamford and greenwich in the winter.

Ooop this is the roller forum. \\\

The is some roller pick up somewherein greenwich by the beach