Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eazy_b97

Golf Equipment Questions

Never heard of it but Hybrid's are a good club to hit. They are easy and can get some distance out of them. Good choice, Eazy.

I bought a pair of nice Reebok Golf shoes yesterday. Fit well, but are really stiff and I am getting a touch of pain around the top of the shoe. The lady advised softening up the leather a bit. Is there any household product I can use? or do I need to go buy something from shoe store? I am playing tomorrow around 4ish, so if I could soften them up tonight in any way that would be great.

i think that is too much for a generic set of clubs...

the company i work for requires most of us guys to travel a fair bit... some of the guys have actually gone to China to get golf clubs. As bad as it sounds, they are actually pretty good. Think about it this way, a lot of the stuff that is 'Made in the US' is actualy made elsewhere, and assembled in the US.

You can get a full set, brand spanking new, similar technologies and whatever, for about USD$50-$80. I liked the way my colleague put it... i can buy the original at $200 and drive 200yards, or spend $50 and drive 190 yards... not much diff!

On clubs, I spent $300 CAD, the extras like bags, tees, balls and taxes were what brought it up. To goto Sears and buy a full set I would've payed just as much and not got the quality or specifics I was looking for. If I could do it over, I'd re-thing certain purchases, but nothing major and theres nothing I'd definately change, everything would be a difficult decision.

After grabbing some golf balls today, I have another question. I went and grabbed some cheap Intech Hot Titanium balls, got home and they feel alot lighter than the other balls I have. I have some I find on the course and such, I regularly play with used Nike balls (easiest for me to spot) that I pay around a dollar a ball for. I got these for .66 a ball, so I paid less, but am a little worried that the feel may be different and they won't go as far (this may be a plus, I wont have to go as deep into the woods).

Update on equipment, I got a Hybrid club with a Bi-Matrix graphite shaft on it that I mentioned above, I really like it, but the grip really started to annoy me. I got it changed over to a nice Wilson type, but its black/white and I got it for cheap. Shoes are wearing in nicely after some blistering and pain.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Wilson fat shaft irons? I wanted to grab them, but they are and were a little out of my range now and when I was purchasing Irons. Just curious if the shaft makes any difference.

After grabbing some golf balls today, I have another question. I went and grabbed some cheap Intech Hot Titanium balls, got home and they feel alot lighter than the other balls I have. I have some I find on the course and such, I regularly play with used Nike balls (easiest for me to spot) that I pay around a dollar a ball for. I got these for .66 a ball, so I paid less, but am a little worried that the feel may be different and they won't go as far (this may be a plus, I wont have to go as deep into the woods).

Those will actually go further, people refer to them as 'hot' balls and they are illegal in any tournament/CPGA sactioned play. I realize your not competing, but those are the rules. They're a 2 piece ball, and they should be a lot easier to play with when you are starting out. I actually hit an Intech today that i found, had to carry 285 but needless to say the testosterone kicked in and I ripped er 290 :D

that's right the "Hot" balls are usga illegal for tournament play.

usually the "hot" balls are smaller in diameter and heavier.

since these balls are smaller, its also harder to control.

as a beginner, try magna sized balls, which are slightly bigger than standard, but still legal, which will be more forgiving, but lose a little distance.. may be 5 yards on 200yds

I figure I will add this onto this topic. My dad wants a Titleist sand wedge. He has titleist clubs, wants them to match, etc. We're mostly weekend players, so aren't too great with club info and such. Anyways, you can rarely find "SW" clubs around here, it's generally 50 degree, 60 degree, etc. He's got a soft swing, very accurate, doesn't really hammer the ball too far. I believe his PW is a 45 or 47, any advice on the loft I should go with?

You could go with a 54 or 56.. depends how many wedges he wants to carry. Most decent players either carry 47, 52, 56, 60 or 47, 54, 60. But there is lots of different combos you can do.

I've got a 51, 54, 58 setup in my bag, all vokeys and they are fantastic wedges. Aside from Clevelands, there is nothing else I would touch. Wedges are clubs where you definitely get what you pay for.

actually, I dont really promote knock-offs or cheap imitations, but just listen to this.

I was in China recently (beijing) for a trade exhibition. My buddies and I went shopping at the Silk Market (they sell a LOT of cheap knockoffs and imitation goods)... we found that you could get an entire Callaway x18 golf set for only 800RMB which works out to about a USD$120. That includes the golf bag, travel bag, the whole set of irons and drivers, SW, PW, putter, and they even threw in the gloves.

The set is pretty decent, may have to change the drivers.... but the irons are great. Lets put it this way, if you buy a set of clubs for $400 and drive 200yards, is it gonna make much difference if you had paid $120 and drive 185 yards? To me it doesnt...

Also, when I brought it back with me to Singapore, the airline does not consider it as checkin luggage AT ALL... and some of the guys who attended the trade exhibition with me bought 3-4 sets to bring back to the US...

anyway, most of the big manufacturers have their facilities in China ... and some of the 'knock-offs' come from those facilities as well... maybe sold as blems...

I would've liked to done that for my clubs, but it wasn't really practical. Considering he won't likely buy another iron or wedge for his life, I don't mind spending the extra little bit and getting him what he wants.

whats the device called for paracticing your shot......Its a ball attached to a string and hanging off of a hangman type thing.....

Also what are the correct size for clubs? Is it like hockey?

anyway, most of the big manufacturers have their facilities in China ... and some of the 'knock-offs' come from those facilities as well... maybe sold as blems...

That's what happens when you sub-out production to a foundry in China. When I was building clubs there were a couple brands that used the original Callaway molds after they were done with the Callaway production. The tolerances weren't quite as tight but it wasn't a big deal for most people. Ping is the only company that makes all of their irons in-house in the US as far as I know.

Eazy, go with the Vokey as mentioned and go with either a 56. If he finds that he wants something to close the gap, get a 51 or 52. I use my 56 for almost everything from sand shots to chipping. I mostly use my Hogan forged wedfes but the Vokeys are a good choice.