Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fletch

Cheap shot bastards/ Terrible refs

It's a fine line because the things you let go can easily escalate. I tend to make the same calls no matter the score or situation though it depends on how the winning team reacts in the blowout games.

True. That is why you never let go any of the aggression penalties. For those, you actually want to be quick on the call. That usually stamps out any of the stupid stuff that causes problems. For the odd hook and hold, if its an innocent little trip you let it slide, if the guy pulls his skate up around his ears, he's sitting for 2.

I'll agree for the most part in that I'll let more stuff go for the losing team in a blow out, unless I feel the game could get out of hand quickly. In that case I tighten up, and I'll most often tell the guys that we're not putting up with any more shit, and that our goal is to get through the game without any problems. Something that really sucks is reffing a league where you are younger than every single guy out there, usually by at least 15-20 years. Combine this with me usually getting stuck with shitty partners and things can go to hell pretty quickly. But like Chadd, on every team I know 2-3 guys pretty well, and that makes things a million times easier.

For a while in my early 20's I was doing a league with an over 35 division and an over 40. If you follow the basic rules to good reffing you should have no problems. One thing I always found to help is to be thick skinned. Guys are going to bitch a little. Let them. Give them their two seconds to get it out. Usually that is all it is and then it's on with the game.

As for tightening up a game. That can happen if the losing team starts getting chippy. Usually, when you start the parade things settle down.

It's a fine line because the things you let go can easily escalate. I tend to make the same calls no matter the score or situation though it depends on how the winning team reacts in the blowout games.

True. That is why you never let go any of the aggression penalties. For those, you actually want to be quick on the call. That usually stamps out any of the stupid stuff that causes problems. For the odd hook and hold, if its an innocent little trip you let it slide, if the guy pulls his skate up around his ears, he's sitting for 2.

What about if a guy jumps another guy (like what happened to me)? Would you have given us the 5 minute powerplay?

What about if a guy jumps another guy (like what happened to me)? Would you have given us the 5 minute powerplay?

Game was 8-0 at the time. I probably would have given him the game misconduct which in most leagues puts him out for the next game, as well.

Something that really sucks is reffing a league where you are younger than every single guy out there, usually by at least 15-20 years. Combine this with me usually getting stuck with shitty partners and things can go to hell pretty quickly.

I understand there can be a built-in bias against youth. My advice as one who has reffed, but more importantly as a player, is just communicate when it's needed. Just think about what you like as a player.

Based on complaints in the locker rooms or at captains' meetings, guys just want to be able to get a civil response to a civil question. It really irks players when they ask, "I don't understand why that wasn't tripping" or whatever, and the ref snaps back at them. I'm not talking about guys jawing at the ref; I always warned them -- politely yet sternly -- that I would tack on two if they kept it up. And I kept my word.

The relationship doesn't have to be adversarial, although I'm not going to say it's all the refs fault or all the players fault. I'll just say judicious communication can go a long way in keeping matters from escalating.

Game was 8-0 at the time. I probably would have given him the game misconduct which in most leagues puts him out for the next game, as well.

If he would have just done that, and not given him the 5 I would have been fine with that. But the fact that he gave him 5 for fighting but did not let it reflect on the ice didn't make any sense to me whatsoever, thus the frustration.

Classic one in a game we had last fall. The other team scores a goal on a play where a guy on their team was offside by a good 6 feet. The ref either missed it or turned a blind eye. A guy on our bench said in a fairly civil tone, "Wasn't that offside?" The ref turns to him and immediately screams, "SHUT THE F UP!" As my teammate was like, 'what's up with this?', the guy continued at least 3-4 more times with his "SHUT THE F UP!"

Being a ref I was shocked. The next day our captain called the league and he wasn't supposed to do another of our games. Sure enough, 2 months later we see him again. Suffice to say, it was brutal. Any time one of our guys was near one of the opponents the arm was up. And these weren't even calls. Guys on the other bench were like, "What the hell is up with this guy."

It was so bad, with 4 minutes left in the first period, our 10 skaters were spread like this, 3 on the ice, 2 on the bench, 5 in the box. Now, never one to advocate violence against a ref, one of our guys goes to ice the puck and decides to do it in close proximity to the ref. Bang, now he's out of the game. After a minute of him and the ref jawwing, there is another faceoff. Our defenseman on the far side of the ice does the same thing. This time it's blatant. At that point we left the ice.

A minute later, a guy from the other team comes into our lockerroom and asks if we want to skate without the refs. We played 2 20 minute running time periods without one incident.

If he would have just done that, and not given him the 5 I would have been fine with that. But the fact that he gave him 5 for fighting but did not let it reflect on the ice didn't make any sense to me whatsoever, thus the frustration.

That's a poor decision on his part. You can't unmake a call. That's as bad as when you see a guy pull the arm back down.

Classic one in a game we had last fall. The other team scores a goal on a play where a guy on their team was offside by a good 6 feet. The ref either missed it or turned a blind eye. A guy on our bench said in a fairly civil tone, "Wasn't that offside?" The ref turns to him and immediately screams, "SHUT THE F UP!" As my teammate was like, 'what's up with this?', the guy continued at least 3-4 more times with his "SHUT THE F UP!"

Being a ref I was shocked. The next day our captain called the league and he wasn't supposed to do another of our games. Sure enough, 2 months later we see him again. Suffice to say, it was brutal. Any time one of our guys was near one of the opponents the arm was up. And these weren't even calls. Guys on the other bench were like, "What the hell is up with this guy."

It was so bad, with 4 minutes left in the first period, our 10 skaters were spread like this, 3 on the ice, 2 on the bench, 5 in the box. Now, never one to advocate violence against a ref, one of our guys goes to ice the puck and decides to do it in close proximity to the ref. Bang, now he's out of the game. After a minute of him and the ref jawwing, there is another faceoff. Our defenseman on the far side of the ice does the same thing. This time it's blatant. At that point we left the ice.

A minute later, a guy from the other team comes into our lockerroom and asks if we want to skate without the refs. We played 2 20 minute running time periods without one incident.

Wow.

That's awesome that you were able to continue the game with no problems without that idiot around.

That's awesome that you were able to continue the game with no problems without that idiot around.

Just goes to show it was all the ref and not a chippy game. Get this, with only 8 minutes gone in the game, we were already over the 15 penalties mark and in running time. Yup, I'd say it was the ref.

Chadd don't get me wrong, there are officials that are buddies with players in my league and they totally call it fair when it comes to game time. I've even seen a player get into a fight with a ref because he called him on a highstick and the player said..."What the F**k are you doing I let you come to my house, I let you near my kids" Those refs I commend personal life has nothing to do with it when your acting as a "judge" you must be impartial. Although there still are great refs in my ball hockey league they are really getting to be far and few between. It's really getting bad with groups of guys/clans that play on several different teams and some play with refs and than the refs end up officiating there next game.

I've even seen a player get into a fight with a ref because he called him on a highstick and the player said..."What the F**k are you doing I let you come to my house, I let you near my kids"

That player is an idiot and should not be allowed to play hockey! Seriously....why would he think that a ref would go easy on him, especially if it's something blatant like a high stick?