Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Stopping on the opposite side

Like the topic says....Does anyone have trouble with this? I try to go the other way sometimes and its like my body is afraid or something....What are some ways/Drills to get your weak side to help ya stop?

Repetition, every has had this problem at one time or another and 99% of players feel better about one side. Go out to some public skating and shinnys and hammer on that side, don't allow your body to do anything, but what you are having trouble with.

I can't stop "right handed" I've tried...rolled over so badly on one attempt, I almost broke my ankle.

I've just accepted it and play through it...most people don't even realize until I tell them, that 95% of my turns, stops etc...are to the left.

I don't think my legs are the same length...serious. Some of my jeans wear unevenly...like one hem touchs the ground and the other doesn't.

many people have slightly uneven leg sizes due to years of favoring one side over the other unintentionally without ever realizing.

many people have slightly uneven leg sizes due to years of favoring one side over the other unintentionally without ever realizing.

So I'm not a freak...that is good to know.

I have the same problem. I'm right handed and can stop to my forehand side, but can't stop for s--t to the backhand side. It sucks 'cause when I overskate the puck to that side, it's like I catch and edge and pretty much fall over. I try doing the same thing that I do for stopping to the forehand but it just doesn't work for some reason.

I used to have that problem, but I worked hard doing drills for my inside and outside edges and now it's gone.

I have absoulately now inside edge on my left foot...I'm terrible at tight turns/stopping on the opposite side.

Edit:I also think My legs are different lengths... and my right foot is about 1/4 size bigger than my left foot. <_<

Let your blades go really dull. Pounding my weak side did nothing but teach me to cheat. With dull blades you won't have as much edge in the ice, and thus be unlikely to roll your ankle. For roller, use harder wheels--Less friction. In either case, you'll be forced to have good body form in order to stop yourself.

I learned "good" form to be deep knee bend (butt as low as knees) and centering your chest over the trailing knee. Ahead of the trailing knee and you lose the necessary lean in your skates to stop. Behind your trailing knee and you are easy to knock over. Dip or lift your front shoulder to stop faster or slower respectively. Lean too far forward at the waist and your feet will slip back. Lean back and your feet will slip forward. If you drift to either side, your skates are not perpendicular to the direction of travel. If your skates chatter, you need to lift your heels up. Always keep your head up.

The rest is just regular stopping drills. One drill I use to regain form is to stand on the blue line and face the sideboards. Race to the red line and stop facing the same side of the rink. Race back to the blueline and stop, again facing the same side. Don't look at your feet--look at anything but your feet. The first step from stop can be a cross-over or a regular V-start. Repeat until you fall. The idea being you go longer before you fall. Good luck.

Its nice to hear that other people have similar problems. :)

...are there any good videos out there that show stopping/starting/overalll technique drills for inline? My left side is weaker than my right. I'd love to strengthen it and feel just as comfortable on that side.

Practice, buddy. I remember when I was about six years old, I was having problems stopping on the left side. So winter comes, we have the rink up in our backyard, and my dad institutes a new rule: as long as I was on the ice that he made, I wasn't allowed to stop on the right side until he felt I was equally proficient on the other side. Of course, I didn't like that much at the time, but I improved quickly...Like just about every thing else, the only way to get better is to put in the work.

...About four years later my dad decided I needed a better backhander (which I did), so he said I wasn't allowed to take a shot on the forehand while I was on the backyard rink. Again, I wasn't too wild about it, especially when we had a goalie between the pipes, but now I'm almost more dangerous on the backhand than anything else.

Practice, buddy. I remember when I was about six years old, I was having problems stopping on the left side. So winter comes, we have the rink up in our backyard, and my dad institutes a new rule: as long as I was on the ice that he made, I wasn't allowed to stop on the right side until he felt I was equally proficient on the other side. Of course, I didn't like that much at the time, but I improved quickly...Like just about every thing else, the only way to get better is to put in the work.

...About four years later my dad decided I needed a better backhander (which I did), so he said I wasn't allowed to take a shot on the forehand while I was on the backyard rink. Again, I wasn't too wild about it, especially when we had a goalie between the pipes, but now I'm almost more dangerous on the backhand than anything else.

Damn northeners with their iced ponds and what not..... ;) :)

Like the topic says....Does anyone have trouble with this? I try to go the other way sometimes and its like my body is afraid or something....What are some ways/Drills to get your weak side to help ya stop?

I know what you mean... I have the same problem.

Damn northeners with their iced ponds and what not..... ;) :)

It's an advantage for sure. During the winter I'm usually on the ice (whether it be at the rink, on a pond or in my backyard) about 20 hours a week.

I couldn't imagine living in a place where pond hockey isn't an option during the winter...What a miserable place that must be...

Let your blades go really dull.  Pounding my weak side did nothing but teach me to cheat.  With dull blades you won't have as much edge in the ice, and thus be unlikely to roll your ankle.  For roller, use harder wheels--Less friction.  In either case, you'll be forced to have good body form in order to stop yourself.

thats EXACTLY what i did. One practice I had my blades really dull, and when I skated around I realized that I could stop on my left side. The next game, in the warm up, my blades were sharped. I figured I should impress myself by doing some more stops. Next thing I know I'm flying through the air, and wondering what happened.

We have about five different places near me that sharpen skates. Some keep a fairly dull edge , and some sharpedn it to the max. So what I did was gradually get a sharper edge by goin to different stores, or just asking them to do a better/weaker sharpening. I kept working on it till I got it right.

I guess another thing that helps is my sisters (all three of them :rolleyes:) were all very good skaters, so since I was 3/4, they've always been helping me out.

Damn northeners with their iced ponds and what not..... ;)  :)

It's an advantage for sure. During the winter I'm usually on the ice (whether it be at the rink, on a pond or in my backyard) about 20 hours a week.

I couldn't imagine living in a place where pond hockey isn't an option during the winter...What a miserable place that must be...

Its our lifestyle lol. I get out of school everyday and walk up to the towns outdoor rink and just play pickup games till practice at like 6:30. All that stickhandling really pays off in games when you can totally burn the guy on a one on one.

Damn northeners with their iced ponds and what not..... ;)  :)

I would kill to be able to play outdoors when ever I wanted to. I've only played shinny on an outdoor pond once in my life. If I could life somewhere colder I'd never be inside but I probably wouldn't pass high school

Seriously...Stop...The thought of there actually being a place where pond hockey can't be played at all scares the bejesus out of me - it's my definition of "Hell."

its called southern california, but the girls almost make up for it... them and the rink our school just built...

its called southern california, but the girls almost make up for it... them and the rink our school just built...

I'm 17, at my "sexual peak," and I will tell you that hockey far outweighs any girl (including my girlfriend). It will probably remain to be so until I am through Juniors and, hopefully, college hockey...Even then, I can't imagine living anywhere south of where I am now...