Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Stopping on the opposite side

Seriously...Stop...The thought of there actually being a place where pond hockey can't be played at all scares the bejesus out of me - it's my definition of "Hell."

Welcome to my world lol..... :) :ph34r:

I'm 17, at my "sexual peak," and I will tell you that hockey far outweighs any girl (including my girlfriend).

I'm 42 and happily married, but if it turns out that I've already peaked out, I think I'm going to become depressed. :(

But I agree about the rest of the stuff. I remember planning to play the night before my wedding at 12:45 AM, but after a week of no sleep, I just didn't have the energy. After all, we had a softball game to play the morning of.... ;)

Like the topic says....Does anyone have trouble with this? I try to go the other way sometimes and its like my body is afraid or something....What are some ways/Drills to get your weak side to help ya stop?

I had a horrible problem with this. I really noticed it when I would practice by myself and found I was always stopping in one direction. As everyone has already pointed out out, it's natural and you will need to practice to make it go away.

What my coach and I do is set up a length of practice cones about 6 feet apart from redline to redline or red to blue if yo don't have all that much space. Start skating from one end to the other stopping in a different direction at each cone. Once you get a little better start lifting the rearmost foot in the stop, to help a little more with balance and agility. If you want to make the exercise even more fun after each stop skate back to the beginning cone.

Needless to say after a few workouts doing this I have cried out wondering why "I paid him" to do that to me.

Damn northeners with their iced ponds and what not..... ;)  :)

It's an advantage for sure. During the winter I'm usually on the ice (whether it be at the rink, on a pond or in my backyard) about 20 hours a week.

I couldn't imagine living in a place where pond hockey isn't an option during the winter...What a miserable place that must be...

wow...down here in georgia we are lucky if we even get any snow to stick to the ground, if it even snows. Iced over ponds is just out of the picture.

its called southern california, but the girls almost make up for it... them and the rink our school just built...

That and the fact that it's always sunny and 70 degrees.

More on stopping on your weak side, do one legged edge drills (cut on one leg's edge and then crossover onto the other leg). Get on the boards and push out with your legs, it'll help improve the weaker edge. Eventually, stop on only your outside edges with each foot if you can. It takes a while, but those are the things that I did.

You should be doing this in practices with stop and start drills. If not, your coach is seriously overlooking skating fundamentals.

i used to not be able to do it so 'd do a tight turn or a bit of both stops but when i got to about 6 i was fine

EDIT- I was on the ice 4x a week for about 3 months doing powerskating drillsand i learnt it mainly then