Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sassmasta

Peter Twist's Conditioning Book

Alright guys, about a week and a half ago this book was recommended to me on MSH by Kovy and a few others. I bought it on ebay for 15 bucks shipped. It showed up on Friday afternoon and I just got done reading it today. (Its a very easy read)....a couple of questions though...

I don't know how to tie everything in to one big package, i.e. The weightlifting, aerobics, anaerobic, speed and plyos, stretching, diet and agility. I know that all the components are extremely important, and I now understand how to put them into individual, practical usage, but I don't know how to chronologically arrange it all into one program. So I guess what I am asking is if anyone has read the book and set up a workout program for themselves (or for a team that they have coached), I am asking for you to share it with me.

I'm going to assume that you start the diet and strength training first, (for 4-6 weeks), then you work in the aerobics, and then the anaerobic, but I don't know what comes next. What I have noticed is that most of Twist's outlines are all based upon an off season, Pre-season, and During season, and then finally Post season. But I don't ever have an off season. (maybe a 2 week layover) and I play 2-4 times a week. With all of that being said, any help would be greatly appreciated.

P. S. What the hell is a speedtraxx? are there any fitness clubs that actually have them?

My phisical condition is not too bad, i know that in his book he mentions not to mess with the plyos and other speed training unless you can squat 1 (for low impact) and 1.5 (for higher impact) times your body weight. I can do both with relative ease (i have been weight training for the past 6 months, but only realy focusing on my legs, so I cannot bench my own weight) . Im just wondering how far into the weight training, diet, aerobics/anarobics , stretching, should I start with the speed and agility. I think the book says 4-6 weeks.

i have that book and it has some really good stuff in it. Your question is good about how to tie it all together. When i used the book, i used it mainly for stretching and cardio and quickness excercises as I was too young to lift.

I've got the book too, and it's really great. The one problem I had with the stuff in it was, as you pointed out, it doesn't make it easy to tie it all in to one training program. All I want to say is it's more important not to overtrain than you probably think. I figured I was tough enough to lift, run, and do powerskating everyday of the week, and all it did was lead to more injuries. Make sure you ease into things.

What I have noticed is that most of Twist's outlines are all based upon an off season, Pre-season, and During season, and then finally Post season. But I don't ever have an off season. (maybe a 2 week layover) and I play 2-4 times a week. With all of that being said, any help would be greatly appreciated.

P. S. What the hell is a speedtraxx? are there any fitness clubs that actually have them?

Throughout the book, you have quotes from Gretzky, Larmer, and Quinn talking about how hockey players should play other sports. Quinn in particular laments the fact that hockey is now a 12-month-a-year grind.

Tim Hunter talks about how the summer is a good time for hockey players to improve by training for hockey, not necessarily by playing hockey.

As you noted, Chapter 8 has the Off-Season, Pre-Season, and In-Season phases, and provides some sample workouts for each of these phases. Figure 8.4, showing the relationship between Volume, Intensity, Technique, and Specificity among each of these phases, is a pretty important concept.

So, perhaps consider cutting back on some of the year-round hockey so that you will have some time to train for hockey to become a better conditioned player. You can also use the off-season time to work on specific skills, e.g. stickhandling. Then you could use the sample workouts for each phase to devise your own workouts to address your needs.

About the SpeedTraxx: I think the company went out of business. There are a few in Vancouver, e.g. at Peter Twist Conditioning. It is a track with a cradle in it for your foot. The cradle lifts the weight stack via a cable and two pulleys. You can angle the track so that you work your normal stride (45 degrees), crossovers, or straight back.

About the SpeedTraxx: I think the company went out of business. There are a few in Vancouver, e.g. at Peter Twist Conditioning. It is a track with a cradle in it for your foot. The cradle lifts the weight stack via a cable and two pulleys. You can angle the track so that you work your normal stride (45 degrees), crossovers, or straight back.

You are right on it about the Speedtraxx,

my grandfather(He's damn good to work with iron and such) did one for me like 6-7-8 months ago. Sure it's not EXACTLY like the one of peter twist but it's working very well.

That's what I hate of Twist book, it is not a great help to how planify your training.

Yeah, it's brutal. I don't know how to fit it all in, I'm going to try and write up a plan monthly plan. The only problem is that I don't have access to some of the stuff.

Right now I'm doing weekly

- 3 maximum strenght

- 3 Anaerobic training

­­- 2 Aerobic Training

- 2 Quickness and agility

- 2 Sprint Training

- 10-12 hours of ice hockey

- 5X600(300 heavy pucks,300 regular pucks) wrister puck(100 snap shot in the 600)

- 7X20 minutes of stickhandling but I usualy do more than that without timing the extratime.

Edit: forgot to mention shots and stickhandling training.