Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SB39

Lifting Strategies

Especially regarding training legs in the gym, what are you're thoughts on lifting more pure heavy weights with lower volume and higher strength gains, or going for more of a circuit training workout with more sets, moderately lower poundages, and making it like both an anaerobic and aerobic workout in one. I'm trying ot design my offseason/summer training schedule and workouts and I'm looking for some good ideas. Right now I'm doing more of a circuit training workout for legs (w/ my aggravating wrist condition I'm only doing bodyweight exercises for upper body probably till summer), doing heavy weights but doing about 20 sets per workout split between stiff deadlifts, leg press, and calves, w/ some inner/outer thigh sets thrown in somewhere... Just throw some feedback at me, considering I'm trying to cut about 10 pounds around the start of sumemr so I can bulk back up from a lower bodyfat %...

I didnt understand a word you said, but it sounds like it would work. You wanna be my personal trainer? get your people to talk to my people about the wages.

PM me whenever you want some advice; I'm more than happy to help out MSH homies... I've worked at a gym as a trainer (not a certified personal trainer...) for 3 years now and I regularly read up articles of nutrition and training from bodybuilding.com, so I've got some decent info under my belt. If you really want help, PM me about what facilities are nearby for you to train at, ie stadiums, gyms taht you can go to, rinks, good hills around your area, etc... And never neglect bodyweight exercises like puchups, dips, pullups/chinups, pistols (1-legged squats...) and all sorts of ab stuff. Yglod is probably more knowledgable than I am, but I am happy to help too...

I'm also trying to make a legs & mid section training plan as well for the spring/summer. I don't have any specific exercises in mind yet... My overall goal is to increase my strength and overall conditioning first and see how it goes. My tentative plan goes something like:

• "heavy" weights (at least for me) for increasing strength
  • many reps with 50-70% of max. weight for overall muscle conditioning
  • cardio because I need it (for conditioning reasons, not fat-related)

I haven't decided how I'm going to mix things up yet. I may just do strength one day, muscle conditioning another, and cardio the third. Or I'll do combinations of the three on one day. I'll have to see how I feel from week to week, I may keep mixing it up to keep from getting bored (happens easily to me at the gym).

I'm considering throwing some interval traning in there somehow as well, probably with the bike. I've read it's supposed to help increase recovery between sprints. If you have any ideas on that, I'd like to know more.

For me, i really train hard and im doing it this offseason and i did it last offeason. My workout schedule isn't that complicated.

Day 1: Chest and Legs

A series of chest workouts including bench press(incline, decline, flat) and flys. A bunch of leg exercises including squats, leg press, calf exercises, thigh exercises.

After that I do about 30 minutes on the bike and 15 minutes on abs.

Day 2: Shoulders and Back

A lot of shoulder exercises including shoulder press, military press, shrugs, front and side arm raises. For back I do alot of basically and exercise that deals with pulling, whether the weight is right infront of me or i am pulling down. Also reverse flys.

After that I run for about 30 mins and 15 minutes on abs.

Day 3: Arms

I do a series of arm exercises, alternating bicep/tricep. I do simple exercises like curls, full bar curls, and close hand grip bench pressing.

After this once again I do 30 minutes on bike and 15 minutes on abs.

For all of these exercises I usually do about 3 sets of 8 reps. First set i do a lightter weight and then add more weight for the last 2 sets. I was wondering what types of excersises could I do for acceleration/quickness?

Mac; just through my own experience, and especially fo rhockey, I wouldn't put any other main muscle groups in with legs, if you want truely beastly legs like the pros. After reading some more atricles and such, I'm probably gonnastay with my circuit training style of legs until I switch to gaining weight, then I'll do low reps and super intense weights; going for TREE TRUNK legs... On a side note, just watched the profile on St. Louis, and he had a great-shaped upperbody, but his legs, especially for a 5'9" guy, were freakin HUGE. Remember, for most sports, it's all about the legs

alright, thnx

so do you think I should just keep doing what i'm doing, but put chest and legs on a seperate day? like, keep the number os sets and reps the same?

You didn't post sets and reps, so who knows. If you want to go in 3 days a week, a semi-standard split is pushes (chest, tri's, and shoulders), pulls (back, lats, bi's), and legs (worst day of the week). The best basic exercises for strength are squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows (back), chinups, and variations of the crunch and situp. Think of the motions required for hockey; sharp, powerful movements for the most part, so you could try going 65-85% of your max weight on most exercises and concentrate on slowly lowering the weight and explosively lifting it. PM me later or something, I gotta go drink... I LOVE ISVT...

alright boys there are 3 ways of working out.

one way is seperating your workout which you can find on www.hockeyschoolonline.com

another way is heavy weight low reps to get stronger

and the last way is the circuit training SB39 suggested, but I would only do that in the season so as to keep a maintenance program in tact.

now for you mac, when you do legs, if you want to do another part, do shoulders. then chest and back then arms. for this type of workout i suggest going to the gym 6 times a week so as to get a leg workout in twice a week.

I usually do legs monday, upper body tuesday, plyos/cardio wednesday, legs thursday, upper body friday, plyos/cardio saturday

o am lazy on the cardio now because i need to gain weight

If anybody has questions about working out ask me here, I seem to know my stuff. Don't wanna brag but Theo can back me up I think

For SB39 i said that i do about 3 sets of 8 reps. First set is a lighter weight and last two sets are a heavier weight. I go about 6 times a week and take monday's off.

As for ygold11, I'll try doing shoulders/legs, then chest, then arms. I do legs about every day when I ride the bike and I play hockey for my high-school soccer team and practice every day, so that helps too. Do you do plyos at home or where you work out? and do you know a good website where you learned how to do plyos from?

I have a trainer for plyos...sorry bro, bu don't forget chest and back on same day.

But riding bike/ ice hockey is good for your legs, but you won't get stronger legs as much as if you went to the gym.

and for SB39, what mac said was good, but do the light weights first, then do 3 sets of heavy weights.

right now for bench press i'm doing this wicked hard thing where you do 10 sets of 3 reps, with a minute rest in between. I thought it would be easy but by set 7 i need a serious spot

What would be better for your legs to make you skate fast. Should somone lift 30 lbs 10 time, or 10lbs 30 times. This is just an example, but you get my point. More lifting with a lighter weight or less with a heavy weight? or.. more with a heavy weight? i dont know, what would you say?

Both have their benefits, so I'd say do both. High weights, low reps improves overall strength, which relates to your acceleration. Lower weights, higher reps conditions your muscles to the repetitive movements under load, so you'll be able to skate longer and legs should recover faster.

work on explosive excercise that will simulate game situations. I am working on getting a program and I may post a good excercise or two if I can. If your looking to bulk go reps of 3-6 (I'd lean more towards 3) if not then i'd go reps of 12.

If you're going to lift, stretching constantly is a must. Your muscles will get tighter and you will need to stretch them out regularly to prevent the added bulk from slowing you down.

Stretching is also a great way to increase strength. It's basic and many people overlook it, but it's a quick easy way to get stronger

work on explosive excercise that will simulate game situations. I am working on getting a program and I may post a good excercise or two if I can. If your looking to bulk go reps of 3-6 (I'd lean more towards 3) if not then i'd go reps of 12.

id lean more towards 5-6, if not 10 reps

Stretching is also a great way to increase strength. It's basic and many people overlook it, but it's a quick easy way to get stronger

why is that?

i used to do tkdo and i could do the splits, now i can't even touch my toes

why is that?

i used to do tkdo and i could do the splits, now i can't even touch my toes

You should probably work on that, cuz it could interfere with your skating stride or something else important like that...

Guest 2048

I have never been able to touch my toes, it's a joke. 3 on the sit and reach a few years ago, now I might be able to hit 10 if I'm lucky.

To add strength you should do high weight/low reps. On top of building the strength for your legs you will also want to work some stamina increasing exercises to your workout. Things such as running, biking or rollerblading over distances should really help and they will add a little bit of strengh to your legs as well.

To add strength you should do high weight/low reps. On top of building the strength for your legs you will also want to work some stamina increasing exercises to your workout. Things such as running, biking or rollerblading over distances should really help and they will add a little bit of strengh to your legs as well.

biking is the best hockey cardio