Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

CCM Vector 6.0

CCM Vector 6.0 Skates (Sr)

Fit

These were the last skates I got molded by a machine. The CCM F-I-T System to be exact, my LHS got rid of it after these skates. When I put them on at first, they were a little tight, but molding them solved the problem. They fit like a glove after having them molded, and I loved the feel. I wore them around my house basically 24/7 before they actually saw ice time. 9/10

Blade/Holder

I got my skates profiled, which I usually do with all of my skates, until I got my Missions, which I didn't profile. The blade started to show rust after about 10 months of use, very good holder IMO, very durable. 9/10

Weight/Protection

The weight on these skates seems like any other skate to me. When I wear a skate, I really can't tell whether it's light or heavy, but these felt pretty light in my hands. The protection is very nice on these skates, took many shots to the boot, but it still held up strong. 8/10

Durability

These skates held up very well. As I said before, I took many shots to the skate, but it still held up strong. 10/10

Intangibles

Thumbs up to THC for developing the Skate-Lock. This allowed me to get the perfect fit whenever I laced up, without the skate losing it's tightness. Very smart feature on the skate. 10/10

Conclusion

For the money I paid for this skate (219.99 USD, I got them when they first came out), this was a very well made skate. I almost bought them again, but tried on Mission S400's, and loved them right away. If you cannot afford top end skates like the Vapor XX, XXX, Mission S500, or Vector Pro, these skates are a very good substituion. Overall-9/10

Reviewer background: Age 35, 6'1", 220lbs. beer league player, play LW/D.

I've bummed around in different skates since I started playing. Went through a pair of 452's in about 6 months, then bought a pair of pro stock Supreme 7000's. Made a big mistake there as it took me twenty minutes and about three beers just to be able to stand up after a game. Bought a pair of Vector 6.0's in June 2004.

Fit: Definitely narrower than Tacks, but OK for my feet. Got the baked once and skated in them for about 2 months until the season started. Had to get them rebaked in November for a hot spot on the inside ankle. I find the boot to stiff enough without being restrictive. No lacebite issues. 8/10

Holder/Blade: The new EBlade is much better than the ProLite and way stiffer. Still prefer the feel of a Tuuk (springy, yet firm). The blade does seem to require shorter intervals between sharpenings than Tuuk's. 7/10

Weight/Protection: No problems so far. Weight wasn't really an issue, but they seem to feel lighter than the 7000's. Protection is good, plenty of puck marks but adequate enough for my level of play. Losing 10 pounds off my butt would make me faster than ounces off a skate. Enjoy your metabolism while you have it kids. 7/10

Durability: So far so good. After 30 beer league games and some open hockey a couple of stiches have come loose, but that's easily fixed with a lighter. 10/10

Intangibles: I've read plenty about the skatelocks becoming deformed, but I haven't had that happen to me yet. They're a little difficult to lace if you put wax laces in. The lacelock is supposed to eliminate that need, but I still use them anyway. I don't like honching down on the laces too much. IMO backlacing and wax laces still work better despite the lace locks. 8/10

Conclusion: I paid $202 US for these skates and they were a bargain. I believe this is a great pricepoint skate for us beer league guys that can't spend >$300 for a new pair of skates. It's also good for parents that need to get their kids skates but can't/won't shell up the $$$.

I got a good pair of skates for my money, and at the end of the night when you're doing the checkbook you know you didn't break the bank but still got a quality product that should last for a while. Overall score 8/10

CCM Vector 6.0 Skates (Sr) (size 7D)

Reveiwer background

Age 22, LW 5'7, 145lb female player, playing Tier 2/1 hockey as well as playing men's rec hockey. Power skate twice a week. I'm on the ice usually 4-5 times per week.

I've had Nike skates (when they first came out) as well as Mission Betty flyweighys. I broke the Nike skates in about 3 weeks, broke the front of the toe and broke the steel. The Mission's didn't last much better seeing as I broke the stabalizer bar in within a month of playing, durability is obviously a big thing for me.

Fit

I got the skates three days before I played a tournament. I got them baked and walked around my house in them for about a day. They, by far, are the most comfortable skates I've worn. They really hold my ankles in without the pressure points. I have a very narrow heel and a very narrow achille's tendon area and the skate holds it in very well without being too tight.

10/10

Blade/Holder

My last few skates have died because of busted steel, busted toe caps or busted holders. I thought the look of the holder was a little "off" but whatever, I tried them out. They've lasted so far a year with just some scratches and one big gouge taken out, but nothing is broken and it doesn't affect my skating at all.

9/10

Weight/Protection

Can't say that I've had a problem with the weight of the skate. I noticed a difference when I first started skating on them, but now I don't notice anything, which is probably a good thing.

The protection is great. I have some scratches on the front of the toe and a few black puck marks on the skate, but nothing severe. I blocked 5 shots one shift last weekend and my foot hurts, but not too bad, just aches a bit.

9/10

Durability

Like I said, I go through skates like water. In three seasons before I bought these I had gone through 3 different pairs of skates. I've had these skates now for just over a season and they're still in one piece. There are a few scratches, scrapes and what not but in all reality the skate are still in one piece, including the blade holders and the toe caps that seem to go first.

11/10

Intangibles

Thumbs up for the skate lock! I love it! For our warm ups I skate around without the top three eyelets tied up. They're PERFECT!

10/10

Conclusion

The skates are awesome. I paid the same amount that I paid for the Betty Flyweights and they've lasted for a lot longer than what the Missions did. They're comfortable and I can wear them for 4 or 5 days a week.

9.997/10

PROFILE: Used to play a lot, but took a few years off and am just getting back into it the past 2 seasons. Playing a couple beer leagues and one reasonably competitive league. 32 YOA, 6'3, 230, power forwardish winger - usual hang-out - front of the net.

FIT: Coming out of a pair of Missions L4's, I would say these, like other CCM's I have owned, fit very large. I was extremely snug (by choice) in 10.5 E L4's. I just got my Vectors in 9D, and could have easily gone with an 8.5C. In spite of that, however, these skates fit well - snug in the ankle, and just right in the forefoot. 9/10

HOLDER/BLADE: If this were a higher end skate, I wouldn't hesitate to have the holder yanked and replaced with a Pitch holder. As others have said, these holders feel a bit stiff, but I have only skated on them 3 times now, so there will surely be some loosening. 8/10

WEIGHT & PROTECTION: They are not overly heavy - they certainly feel lighter than the E40's I had a couple years back, and are also lighter than the Missions I was using until they discintegrated. I did take a few shots off the feet with them yesterday and felt no major pain - granted, I didn't have Sheldon Souray shooting at me, but at my level I won't have to worry too much about that anyway. I would say they have a great combo of weight and protection. 9/10

DURABILITY: It is way too early to tell, so I won't comment much, although I've never had any durability issues with CCM products before.

PERFORMANCE: I got rid of the Externoes I had because they were so wide they had a tendancy to bottom out on sharp turns, leaving me on my arse. This was a concern i had with the Vectors, as they are based on the Externoes, but they don't seem to be as wide in the fore-foot, making them a little more stable in turns. The lace-locks are also a great feature, as I like my skates to be really tight around the foot, but looser in the ankle - this accomplishes that without wax laces. I would prefer a stiffer boot, but that comes with a stiffer price-tag. I would also prefer a slightly more aggressive pitch, but I don't think I'll invest that kind of money into a $300 skate (CAD). 8.5/10

CONCLUSION: Overall, this is a great skate for the price. They have clarino liners, the lace-lock system, the FIT system, and are a relatively light skate considering the protection they offer. I would highly recommend them to anyone who wants a near pro-level skate without the pro-level price tag. My intention is to use these primarily for outdoor hockey after this season, and I was leaning towards a high-end Synergy to use in the arenas, but I will have to take a mush harder look at some of the higher Vectors as well, as I am duely impressed with this skate.

**UPDATE** - Tonight was the 2nd game on these and my 5th time wearing them in total. I was lacing them up before my game and one of the lace locks snapped right off (yes, I know how they work and how to use them). Needless to say, I am pretty dissappointed. I think I will just put wax laces in the skates and skip the lock thing all-together.

***UPDATE*** - I found a LHS that stocks the lace-locks and sells them for a buck a piece (I bought 10), although I haven't had any issues with them since the initial breakage. I did have an eyelet start to come apart, but I snapped it back together and it hasn't been an issue since. I have found that keeping the wax laces in allows me to custom the bottom fit without putting too much pressure on the locks. The skates are currently at the shop getting a heel lift done - I am warming back up to them...hope they keep holding up.

****FINAL UPDATE**** - I got back on the ice with these a couple days ago after the lift, and they felt better after adjusting to the change. I did experience some foot discomfort after, but it is certainly not the boots' fault, as they didn't cause any such pain prior to the lift. What is most concerning, however, is the obvious decrease in stiffness I have noticed in this boot since buying it. I would say I have about 30 hours on these skates now, and while they were respectably stiff for a non-pro-level boot upon purchase, I am now able to nearly squeeze the ankles together on these boots. I think that my weight coupled with my aggressive style of skating and the amount of time I skate is too much for a boot of this level. I may give some consideration to the V10.0 or last year's Vector Pro, as I do like the fit of this boot, I just need something stiffer.

Edited by B-Nads

PROFILE: 37, 1 full year of experience (although I am a decent player for only playing one year), 5'6", 160lbs. I have skated these for 2 months - 2-3 times per week.

FIT: I came from Nike Quests that were too big for me (1st skates). I have a wide foot (8-8.5EE in street shoes) Got fitted in a 6D in these skates. I have some slight heel slippage. IF I skate for 45 minutes and my foot gets nice and warm - I can retighten my skates and that locks my heel in. I can't seem to lock it in from a cold start though. I was surpised when my wide feet fit in these. I did not have an E to compare, but the more I had them on in the shop the better they felt, so I went with them. My only other issue is the felt on the tongue on my left skate is a little thicker than the right at the edges. This gives me a hot spot if I snug the top laces too much. Toe box has adequate width (a requirement for me). Skate depth is very good for my foot. Not too shallow like the Easton's or too deep like my Nike's. 8/10

HOLDER/BLADE: My only comment here is that the e-blade holder is ugly. Out of the box it had me on my heels, but I took a bit off the front to give my a nice forward lean per oldtrainerguy's suggestion. Now they are spot on. I guess that is two comments. 8/10

WEIGHT & PROTECTION: Weight and protection are good for me. I took one shot off the side of the ankle that was tender for a week, but I have felt protected otherwise. 9/10

DURABILITY: So far, so good, but I did have one lace lock break. DON'T pull your laces at an angle - pull them straight out on the D-locks. CCM sent me replacements per my request. Seaming is holding up well. 9/10

PERFORMANCE: My skating gets better every day and now that I'm profiled correctly - I'm living large. I don't have the experience to give any minute details, but I am pleased as heck with my skates so far. 9/10

CONCLUSION: Great skate for the beer-leagues and maybe more. My size and weight dictate that I shouldn't be after the top end boots. This is plenty of skate for me. The only reason for me to switch is to find a skate that locks in my heel from the start. I have put in grey Superfeet and they feel great w/ the insoles. The lace locks are a very nice feature (although they do break. Get spares!). I was surprised the D width fit my Fred Flintstone feet. I have recommended this skate to my friends and family.

Profile- 5 foot 8 inch 210 pounds. I just started playing ice a few months ago but played roller/dek hockey my whole life. I like to think I take it seriously, but how serious can you take mens league. I get on the ice about 5-6 times a week, and i play rw and sometimes c.

Fit- After only using nbh vapors for ice and missions for roller i must say the ccms fit my rather fat foot nicely. A little tight at first but i have found that these skates react better to baking in comparison to my vapors(it might of helped that they fit better then the vapors to begin with as well.)9/10

Holder- Once again im not the best skater so i cant give a detailed comparion. They felt very different then the tuuks on my vapor XVI's a little less springy. but it did not take long to get used to. It aslo seems that i can get away with more ice time on these blades than the ones on my vapors. 7/10

Weight- Heavier than my last skate. But in comparison to other skates i was looking at in the same price range only heavier than the vapor XXII. Once on the ice no part of the boot/holder was heavier specifically nicely evened out so i saw no problem with the weight. 7/10

Durability- Have had them for only bout a month and a half but see no specific wear and tear or fraying of significant stitching just a few puck marks on the holders and scrapes on the toe. I must say these skate just by the looks of how they where put together appear to by very durable but i will update this in a while when i start to find out. TBD

Protection- I have taken many a puck to skates and hard slashes being that i have tendency to piss people off, and have found them to be very protective nothing mind blowing but sufficient to say the least. 8/10

Conclusion-

A very good skate for the price. If the ccm fit is good for your feet i highly suggest this skate. It has the price range for someone who has work for a living but the performance of higher models that i have tried that are about 100-150 USD more. I am very happy with this purchase and will be trying out other ccm products asap.