Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ambro

USPS coveres damaged goods right?

I just recieved a tennis racquet stringing machine that I bought from a member of a different massage board, and when it got here, it was all busted up and the box was busted open. The box has "DAMAGED IN HANDLING" stamped all over it as well. USPS should cover the value of the machine right?

No I believe insurance only coveres packages lost in the mail. Since it was USPS's fault, they should pay for the value right?

Uhh... It's 7:14 my time right now, and they close at 4:30. And yes, I've emailed them already. I will call tomorrow. I'm just wondering if anyone's had a similar experience and if they got their money back.

Guest phillyfan

USPS should cover damaged goods if insurance was purchased, if not, get ahold of your local Postmaster and raise some hell, politely.

Haha good call phillyfan. No insurance was purchased sadly, but both the sender and I believe that since USPS knows they are at fault for the damage, that they will reimburse the value of the machine.

Guest phillyfan

Well, that may be hard to do, even if USPS is at fault. Buyer beware. If you have no luck, let it be a lesson that the extra .45 or whatnot isn't a waste afterall...

I'm sure as hell not spending $200 for a lesson, that's for sure. I learned that they don't cover seeing how he didn't insure it. I told him to ship UPS as well, but he didn't listen. I think he should pay for it, since it was his fault for not insuring it as well.

Or yours for not telling him to, however, if you did and he didn`t not, it`s his fault.

Exactly.

I always ask or get insurance when ever I buy something.

I clearly remember telling him to insure it. I don't know if he just didn't want to, or see the message, but I know I told him to.

Also, I don't see how USPS can get away with this. They KNOW it's their fault it is damaged. That's basically saying that they can do whatever they want to packages if they aren't insured, and they don't have to even deliver them. Makes no sense to me.

Well, that may be hard to do, even if USPS is at fault. Buyer beware. If you have no luck, let it be a lesson that the extra .45 or whatnot isn't a waste afterall...

isn't it like 2 dollars extra for insurance?

Guest phillyfan
Also, I don't see how USPS can get away with this. They KNOW it's their fault it is damaged. That's basically saying that they can do whatever they want to packages if they aren't insured, and they don't have to even deliver them. Makes no sense to me.

That would be fraud, there actually are some honest companies out there. :blink: Insurance is an option to protect both the buyer and the seller in case package is either damaged or lost in the mail. If the safe way is simply looked over, USPS is not liable, even though it would be nice if they do compensate.

Was going to but didn't. Instead my mom took the package to USPS and asked what to do. They said that it was the senders fault. The sender has 2 options:

1) To refund my money after I send the damaged machine back to him.

or

2) To replace the machine for me.

He said that once he paid for the package to be sent out, he is no longer liable for anything. The post office says that they are not liable for damages because he did not pay insurance. I would trust USPS over him any day.

EDIT - USPS also said that they would help get any money back if he refuses to do either of the two options I listed.

Guest phillyfan

Both parties are correct, and no offense, actually, I think you are liable in this instance if no insurance was requested, and paid for. The seller is not liable if it was offered(I do not know if it was or was not) and it was not purchased, nor is the Post Office as nowadays, insurance to me is a given. How did you pay? If Paypal, they may have a way to help you as well.

Yea I payed PayPal. I did request him to either ship UPS (which automatically has insurance) or just to pay the extra for insurance from USPS. He either did not get the message or wanted to save a whole $2.50. Hopefully not the latter of the two... So I did request it, but it was not boughten by him. I believe he is at fault for not purchasing it.

Both parties are correct, and no offense, actually, I think you are liable in this instance if no insurance was requested, and paid for. The seller is not liable if it was offered(I do not know if it was or was not) and it was not purchased, nor is the Post Office as nowadays, insurance to me is a given. How did you pay? If Paypal, they may have a way to help you as well.

Jack McCoy, make up your mind. First you say its fraud by USPS then you say it isn't.

Well my verdict is that it isn't. USPS gives the option of insurance for extra. If you don't purchase it then it isn't their fault if they brake it. It's like a hockey stick warrenty principle as well. Easton for ex has policies that reject a replacement, aka saying it is your fault not theirs (like burning blade). Same principle applies to USPS. Why should they be liable if they asked you originally?

Jack McCoy, make up your mind. First you say its fraud by USPS then you say it isn't.

Well my verdict is that it isn't. USPS gives the option of insurance for extra. If you don't purchase it then it isn't their fault if they brake it. It's like a hockey stick warrenty principle as well. Easton for ex has policies that reject a replacement, aka saying it is your fault not theirs (like burning blade). Same principle applies to USPS. Why should they be liable if they asked you originally?

Who said they asked. Maybe they just took the cash and he left. I've had that happen to me before. Then I asked if insurance was available and you could tell they never even thought about insurance. Anyways, they know that it's their fault though. They know they broke it. Why SHOULDN'T they be liable for it? They even stamped "DAMAGED IN HANDLING" on it. To me, that says "My bad. I'll replace it. Sorry." And not "I broke it, but I'm not payin' for it!"

Yes, they admitted to breaking it, yet there was no insurance so it is not there liability. They only stamped that to let you know that it wasn`t broken when the seller sent it, it was not intended to say. "I`ll replace it because I broke it". However, if insurance was purchased and that had been stamped on it I`m sure you could of gone to USPS and gotten yuor money back.