Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EndBoards

Gorilla Cardio Question

I'm about to start up with a GC program... For those of you that have done GC...

How do you time your segments? Seems like it would be hard to glance at your stopwatch during the sprints..

Sprint for 45 seconds walk 15 sprint 45 walk 15 etc. We do it in football and it gets you into shape pretty quickly.

how many time would you do this?

as many as you want

i do 8 reps 4 sets

which is intense but it depends what kind of shape you are in

Any online or book material on this? Sounds interesting.

google it up. Its hard but is very effective

Sprint for 45 seconds walk 15 sprint 45 walk 15 etc. We do it in football and it gets you into shape pretty quickly.

We do it for about 10 to 12 minutes at the end of practice.

I find that a 2:1 rest-work ratio is a lot better for hockey than a 1:3! Intervals are the way to go, but those are overkill, especially because you're not going to get any faster doing them. If you have a 2:1 you can still sprint hard with good form while still getting in shape.

I know this as HIT. I do a warmup, a 5 minute jog, 30:15 sprint:walk, 5 min jog, 60:30, 5 min jog, 90:60, cool down.

With each of the sprint/walks being 5 reps.

as many as you want

i do 8 reps 4 sets

which is intense but it depends what kind of shape you are in

Any online or book material on this? Sounds interesting.

google it up. Its hard but is very effective

So each set would be around 8 mins? (With 45 sec sprint and 15 sec walk)?

Exactly. I've been doing this for over a year now, and it is really good stuff. And it simulates a period (each set), with roughly 8 minutes of hard work and then a rest.

I have a pdf file that explains it pretty well..

Google up Gorilla Cardio by David Kennedy..

That particular article prescribes 20 seconds of max effort followed by 10 seconds of rest.. Repeat 8 times. That's a four minute workout three times a week. Obviously for something this intense, you need a good warmup and cooldown, so figure 12-15 minutes total..

The other splits here are basically the same thing, just different intervals.

Try "Guerilla Cardio"

:unsure: ummm... yeah... what he said.. :D

BTW.. I just have a cheap watch that use while working out.. didn't think it had a countdown timer, but sure enough it does and I think I know what to do..

Set it for 0:30.. wait for ten seconds, then start my sprint when it hits 0:20. When the timer goes off at 0:00, stop the sprint, start the rest period, and reset/restart the timer. Repeat 8 times and I'm done..

Another thing... The author of the article I have just does straight sprints on a track, but I think I'm going to do some stuff more applicable to hockey. One variation would be to set up some some markers about 20 yards apart and sprint back & forth between them. Another would be to sprint up the stairwell in my office building..

I think these variations will give more quickness/agility benefits than straight sprints would. The cool thing is that I'll be able to measure how much quicker I get. During the first week, I might only be able to make 3 trips between markers or go up 3.5 floors during a 20 second sprint. It'll be interesting to see how much those numbers increase each week..

Do you guys think that these sprints get you faster/quicker or just improve your cardio?

Long sprints or short sprints, your cardio will get better doing this. Your quickness improving depends on how hard you work.