Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Genesis Wheel on Code 1

As I've mentioned, I got the new Tour Code 1's. My issue here is with the Labeda Genesis wheel. It is light. The way they get it so light is because there is almost no center hub/core. What is there is a recessed, thin-walled, plastic hub with holes drilled into that. Nothing revolutionary.

I played me second game tonight in them, and I noticed a "clicking" noise. It sounded like the wheel was loose. When I came home, they were tight. I took it out anyway, and noticed that the piece surrounding the bearing had cracked in two places. ON THE SECOND SKATE.

It's hard to describe how it looks. But the bearing sits inside a "crown" sort of, where the rest of the hub is recessed deeper into the wheel. That crown cracked. So what I'm guessing is that the bearing iteself was shifting around because it wasn't secure into the hub.

Is there anything I can do? I think I remember somone having a problem with their Code 1 Bevo bearings or something. Should I call Labeda?

I mentioned something like this in a previous thread. The wheels "click" when you skate on them. You can actually wobble the wheels a bit on the chassis.

Do this... take a wheel out that "clicks." Okay... now push on the bearing from one side. Notice how it gives a little and pushings the bearing out on the other side? You can actually push the bearing back and forward. It's slight... but it's there.

I first contacted Tour and this was their reply to me:

This sounds like it may very well be a wheel problem but it's hard to say for sure without seeing the wheels and skates. The first thing you should do is try putting a different set of wheels on the skate to see if you still have the same problem with the wobble. If you notice a difference in the fit of the wheels, then I would recommend contacting Labeda and see what you should do with the wheels. Labeda is very good about replacing defective wheels if that's what's wrong. Unfortunately, we don't stock any wheels to replace them for you. However, if it's a wheel problem, Labeda will take full responsibility for the defect. I'll give you their number below to contact them. Hope this helps. Thanks!

So I called Labeda and spoke with someone from there. First thing he said is "The spacer is too big." I said "You've had this happen on other Code 1's?" He said "No... but it happened with Mission a few years ago with their mini bearings."

He told me he'd take down my info and contact Tour on Monday. He then called me back on Tuesday and said he hadn't forgotten about me and that he was waiting for Tour to get him the size of their spacer. I haven't heard from him since so I'm going to call him again today.

I think the spacers on all the Code 1's are just a hair too long. Knowing that... I think that could possibly crack your core like you mentioned. There shouldn't be any movement of the bearing in there. And since there is movement, that could put some extra stress on the wheel.

The guy at Labeda was super nice and continues to tell me that if it's a wheel problem he'll take care of it. And if it's a problem with Tour he'll make sure they take care of it for me. I'll keep you updated after I call him again today.

Thanks for the reply Q. The bearing seems to be fitting in the skate properly. I'll take it out again and have a second look. The clicking is only coming from 1 wheel, and as I mentioned, I noticed the hub of that wheel is cracked in 2 places. For some reason, I think that has alot to do with it.

Do you happen to have a number for Labeda CS?

i dont know if its the same issue or not but......#96... chris had those wheels in the pro shop like 3 months ago or so and i asked him about them and he told me that the wheels fell apart real fast, liek after the 1st time skating in them and that he called the maker and they said he must have gottn a bad shipment of them and to send them all back. I dont know if he was talking about the core or the actual rubber of the wheels tho. you might want to ask him.

if i get these skates i plan on using the stock wheels/bearings until they are no longer good then put my regular BBS bearings in. my missions came with minis and i hated them

I spoke to "Chuck" at Labeda CS. Very nice guy, very understanding. The problem will be taken care of.

I took out the clicky wheel and inspected it further. All I had to do to remove the bearing was turn it upside down, and it just fell right out. I still think it's the hub being cracked that is the problem and not a spacer issue. I took out an old spacer from the original micro bearing spacers I got with my VSI Carbons (6 years old now) and to the naked eye they are exactly the same size. I can't see any difference.

since the hub is cracked the bearing is prob. moving around a little bit since the hub isnt stationary.. i doubt it has anything to do with the spacers.

I took out the clicky wheel and inspected it further. All I had to do to remove the bearing was turn it upside down, and it just fell right out. I still think it's the hub being cracked that is the problem and not a spacer issue. I took out an old spacer from the original micro bearing spacers I got with my VSI Carbons (6 years old now) and to the naked eye they are exactly the same size. I can't see any difference.

I'm not saying your cracked core isn't to blame for your "clicky" wheel... I'm saying it's possible that your core cracked because of the spacer.

Check your other wheels... can you get a little movement out of them?

Not really any noticable sound or movement out of any othe wheels.

It was explained to me by Labeda that there were some standing issues with the Genesis wheels and their cooperation with the Tour Code 1.

Firstly, some of the spacers were off.

Secondly, to acheive a lighter weight, they had to compensate by making the core less rigid. Some batches went out with a less rigid design and like mine, some hubs are cracking. That problem has been addressed, but there are some bad batches lurking out there in retail land.

Looks like I got problem #2. Some people got problem #1. I feel bad for those with both problems. Haha.

Either way, Labeda has contacted me and I am satisfied with the result. They are going to ship me some new wheels as soon as the most recent (and most sound) batches are produced.

looks like I am in the same boat as #96.

My genesis cores decided to break on me this weekend as well. guess I will be giving labeda a call this week.

Either way, Labeda has contacted me and I am satisfied with the result. They are going to ship me some new wheels as soon as the most recent (and most sound) batches are produced.

I hope you actually get you're wheels.

I heard just about the same thing from Chuck, and yet my 2 wheels have not shown up yet. This is now way over a year! I dont care about the wheels, its just that i had word on replacements, and yet they never show up.

For anyone that has a pair of the new Code-1 skates, and has any problems with the Labeda Genesis wheels, you can contact Labeda directly, and your problem will be taken care of. If for any reason you don't get taken care of, contact Tour directly and we will take care of any Genesis problem. 217-324-3001 ext 1229.

We got the initial production of the new Genesis wheels for our new Code-1 skates. Since we received the wheels Labeda found that they have a small percentage of defective Genesis cores. Although the problem has been corrected, we do have some of the defective wheels on the Code-1. If you happen to have a Code-1 and have any problems with broken cores, Labeda or Tour will replace the wheels, no hassle policy. If you don't feel like Labeda is taking care of the problem, call Tour, and we will take care of any Geneisis core issues.

Yeah, after speaking to a couple of guys at Labeda, I got the impression the issues have been resoundingly addressed, and they are more than happy to take care of any issueds related to the wheels.

Like I said, I am confident my situation will be taken care of. Both guys at Labeda were very cool.

just got off the phone with labeda.

very helpful, very understanding, very easy to deal with.

I'm sticking with labeda on this wheel, the genesis wheel so far is the best wheel i've skated on. even with a minor setback like this my money is still on the genesis wheel.

can you guys still skate on them even though they are breaking??? liek is it still skateable with just a annoyance or is it totally broken and not able to skate with

Not sure with the other guys' problems, but with mine, I am able to skate on them. I don't notice anything other than the noise. However, in a few more skates, the hub might crack even more, and not hold the bearing in place whatsoever. Then I'm in deep s&*t! I've only skated in two games with them, and the cracks are decent enough that I can notice them, and when I take the wheel out, the bearing just falls out very easily. I'm assuming in a few more games they're gonna crack even more.

I told Labeda that my season doesn't start for a couple of weeks, so I can wait for the new wheels. Worse comes to worse, I'll just pop any size 80 wheel in there for the time being.

You cannot skate in my wheels at all. The core cracked and basically split off where it holds the bearing in. When it happened my wheels wouldn't spin at all. Then it was pretty difficult to get the axle out once the hub totally cracked. I am kinda worried about the other wheels, but if I have any issues I am sure labeda can help out.

like i said my friends hub cracked at nationals and he didnt notice it and when i told him he got a new wheel from eddie at the tour booth.. but im sure it would have cracked more from stopping or turning.. the last thing you want is to be on a breakaway and a wheel flys off because of a cracked hub lol.. no good

One of my core's cracked today. Luckily I was able to skate the rest of the game with only hearing a "click." I guess I'm calling Labeda in the morning to see if they'll send me a new wheel until their new batch of good wheels arrives.

cracked_core.JPG

EXACTLY what my wheel looked like. I had two of those cracks on one hub though. Same side too. Same clicking noise.

EXACTLY what my wheel looked like. I had two of those cracks on one hub though. Same side too. Same clicking noise.

Labeda told me that 10-20% of their wheels are bad and the core's may crack... but there's no way of telling which wheels are a bad batch and which wheels have a good core. They'll have new ones in 2 weeks though and they can replace our defective wheels. They're sending me a mini hub millenium though to get me by for the time being as I don't have any mini hub wheels sitting around my apartment.

The other issue is a spacer issue... but I was told they should have an answer for that in 2 weeks as well. I've checked many other code-1's and they all have the issue. The spacer is a hair too long. Un-related to the cracked core though... but still a problem that needs to be fixed.