Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ranger-#8

Getting a hockey pic

Me and afew friends want to try getting a pic where we are taking a slap shot, and the stick is flexing. I would think a very fast shutter would be needed, but we only have digi cams. Is it possible for a digi cam to get a pic like that?

A fancy digicam with a fast shutter can, but a regular point-and-shoot will likely not do the trick. Unless you're dealing with a high-end camera, digital is much slower than film.

Even your average 400 dollar digi cam has manual shutter adjustment. It's going to be hard to time it right, but you can git er done.

I was at the Leafs/Bos game tonight...trying to get pics for my GF (A Leafs fan).

A cheap (RE: inexpensive) Digital SUCKS!!!!. I've got a Fuji A330 - 3.2 MP / 3X Optical zoom.

The shutter lag is so bad...you almost have to shoot where they are going...not where they are. I got a few nice ones though. Mostly pics of Tucker (again, for my GF)

Some digital cameras have a "burst" mode where you can take a number of pictures in quick succession. In this mode you can't use flash, which shouldn't be a problem since arena lights would provide enough light. No flash also decreases the shutter lag (at least in the case of my camera). If your camera has this ability it should solve your problem.

To do it with a digital camera you will need a DSLR. Some cheaper ones are the Canon Digital Rebel (300 or 350), Canon D20, Nikon D50 or D70.

That gives you the shutter speed you will need with out the shutter lag that most point and shoot digitals have.

Your next problem is lighting. Most rinks aren't well lit for high shutter speeds. You will need a good lens that will allow you to shoot as low as f/2.8 or f/4.

:ph34r:

scubafrogman nailed it.

You will be fighting the amount of light you have.

In an ice rink the lighting usually sucks for cameras.

You can use a flash but it may be difficult to get a fast shutter with the flash.

Experiment first on something moving before you spend your time.

I have a cannon 10D dslr and lighting is a Bi^ch.

You could arrange some sort of switch to shoot the camera. Many cameras have an external jack to shoot the picture. Maybe 2 pieces of aluminum foil on the ice with a tissue between them, with one wire hooked to each. When the stick hits the foil and starts to bend, the two pcs of foil will short out together and make the contact for the camera to shoot. Hopefully the camera shoots quickly after being told to. Use alligator clips at the ends of the wires to grab the aluminum foil.

In an ice rink the lighting usually sucks for cameras.

You can use a flash but it may be difficult to get a fast shutter with the flash.

A friend of mine who was heavily into photography said that a flash doesn't throw the light more than 15-20 feet. He specifically said that using a flash at a sporting event is irrelevant, because the subject is 100 feet away, while the light from the flash can't reach that far.

SalmingUSA, as he said, he's kind of staging the shot so I think he'll be close enough for a flash if the camera can take a fast shutter speed with a flash. I don't know how fast a shutter speed you can run with a flash even on my camera, never really tried.

Scubafrog:

IMO those are actually pretty darn nice pics you linked for the conditions you are in. Were you using an image stabilized lense?

SalmingUSA, as he said, he's kind of staging the shot so I think he'll be close enough for a flash if the camera can take a fast shutter speed with a flash. I don't know how fast a shutter speed you can run with a flash even on my camera, never really tried.

I'm sorry, Sons, I thought you were talking in general terms. I agree it could work in a controlled setting.

Of course, while I was typing this, I just thought that maybe he could use an SLR, then either scan the negatives or prints.

modified9fi.jpg

Original is in the corner. Playing with the colors and sharpness in PS does wonders for a originally dark picture.....

Scubafrog:

IMO those are actually pretty darn nice pics you linked for the conditions you are in.  Were you using an image stabilized lense?

Nope, can't afford the Canon IS lenses right now. That is why I use a Sigma lens.

Would love to have some Canon L lenses with IS though! :D

Original is in the corner. Playing with the colors and sharpness in PS does wonders for a originally dark picture.....

Tokes,

Thanks for the post. These were my first hockey shots ever and it is hard to get the White Balance correct. These were staight from the camera with no post processing. Hockey pics usually come out blue or yellow because of the cycling of the lights.