Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whip

Responsibilty of a winger

I have been a defencemen all my life but now I ll be experimenting with wing, so i need to kno waht my responbisbites are. Like when the puck is in my own zone where should i be, who should i cover, when the puck is in the neutral zone where should i be, when the puck is in offensive zone where should i postion myslef, when do i go screen the goalie?

I kno its a lot to ask but could u plz just explain to me where i should be in certain scenario.

I'll take the defensive part of it and let the rest for others. Generally, in your own zone you should be covering the defenseman on your side of the ice. Stay a few feet below him and between him and the puck. Always keep your head on a swivel in case he decides to jump into the play. If you are the first forward back on the backcheck you should cover the slot until the center gets back and releases you to go back to the point.

In the offensive (assuming that you have no certain system), pretty much just go in, do your thing, but keep your head up. If the ohter 2 Fs are down low, head back into the slot so everyone doesn't get trapped. Other than that, I've never really found that staying on your designated side helps. You and your other winger and center should be able to flow interchangebly without getting confused.

Adding to Kosydar's previous post, if the puck is in your corner, you need to have two men on the puck, you and the center. While you two are working hard to gain control of the puck, your partner winger will be in front of the net. If the puck goes into his corner, he and the centermen will go and try and get it. At this time you should be going to the front of the net. You do this offensive strategy assuming that you are playing "Two men on the puck" and not "The Trap". If your team plays the trap.. I will explain that too.

Something also to add to ljack05's post on defense, you are going to be relied on heavily for getting the puck out of your zone. Yes, you have to do all the guarding on the defense that ljack talked about but you have to watch your defense too because when they get control of it, they are going to fire it around the boards so you have to be there on the boards to stop the puck, and then get it out of your zone by making a quick little pass to your centermen who is going up the middle or chipping it off the boards for a winger that comes from his side of the ice to your side of the ice.

One of the best strategies is once you get the puck over the blue line, you fire it into their zone, and then you have to be one of the first guys there to battle it out for control. This dump and chase method is then combined with the "Two men on the puck" strategy.

To go talk to an ugly chick so your friend can go for her hot friend....oh wait...that's a wingman and you said winger. Sorry.

Responsibilities in the offensive zone vary depending on what type of system your team has in place. It also will depend if you are the first, second, or third forward into the zone. Before we can really advise on where you should be we need to know what system your team is playing. Neutral zone is the same way. It also depends heavily on the system you are playing.

For the defensive zone, you want to make sure that you are not so close to the defenseman that when the puck comes up your side of the boards you aren't making it easy for him to pinch in on you. I've usually found the top of the circles is a good rule of thumb so that you can either get down low on the boards for a breakout pass or get up on the point if he gets the puck.

One more little tid bit.

Defensively, if the puck is in the opposite corner/side of the your wing, slide over to the middle of the high slot, be ready to help cover their forwards. If the puck comes in front you are there to help. Don't drift too far over, and always be watching your sides' d man.

Also, in the transition game the first forward backchecking always takes their third man on the rush. Don't worry about their other forwards, its the d's job, you've done yours.

As for when to screen the goalie, try to be there when the puck is at the opposite point/side boards. Hang around the slot, drift back when its in the corners, and closer to the net when its being handled by your d. Plant your feet and brace yourself, its not a fun job.

Never stand still.

Enjoy being a forward.

My team doenst have a stratgy its more like auto, just be in ur postions and look for the open man, we dont have any set plays at all.