Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

heritage

Broken Ankle

I recently broke my ankle in a game. I had just stopped infront of the net and somebody skating up ice caught the toe of my skate. My foot twisted inwards and I went down, landing on top of it. The smaller leg bone (fibula) broke off right at the bottom (surgery and 3 screws latter I'm in a walking cast for 2 months). So, on to my question, are there any skates that might be better at protecting the ankles? (I have a pair of graf 625's) Or should I just pretty much not be an oaf and fall on my own foot?

Thanks for any advice!

CCM Tacks or the new RBK skates have alot of padding in them so I think those will be your best bet for protection.

I don't think any skates would've prevented that injury, however; the old Nike Quest 1 skates have a lot of ankle support and may be good for someone with weaker ankles - your ankle may be a bit weak at first. Those old Quest 1 skates can be found at clear out prices (although they are 3 or 4 year old now so may not be as easy to find anymore) so you should be able to pick up a pair cheaply. I have a pair of Quest 1 skates for rollerhockey and they're pretty comfortable and provide good ankle support. The only annoyance I have with them is that perhaps the skates come up a bit too high at the back...but as far as ankle support goes that may be a good thing.

i pretty much did the same thing

except i broke the fibula and tibia i was wearing a pair of bauer 4000s

broke in 3 places had plate and 6 screens and 1 rod to put everything back together. healed in 6 weeks. and then 6 weeks of rehab.

rehab is key in recovering from this type of injury, it was difficult.

i dont think skates will prevent that type of injury. i just chalk it up to dumb luck.

i am now in ccm 952s and they seem fine.

No skate will prevent a fracture from twisting. If you were worried about impact damage from pucks then you might want to consider the Kor. I know from using it that you really don't feel anything when blocking shots. I would also assume that the Easton Synergy 1300c has similar protective properties.

Like althoma said, your ankle will be weak after 2 months in a walking cast. I broke my ankle a little over a year ago and would strongly advise you to take the rehabilitation exercises seriously. It is probably too early to start them now, but listen to what the doctor tells you about rehabilitating that ankle so that you gain all your strength back.