Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aussie Joe

Steps to convert Ice-->Inline

Hey guys, looking to start a new hockey project soon by converting some Ice skates into a pair of Inlines. Would like some info or even some links on the step by step process that is taken to turn a pair of Ice Skates into Inline burning champs, as I have never done this sort of thing before. Pictures and/or diagrams would be a HUGE help as well. :)

Using the following equip....

Bauer XIX Skates

Red Star Alloy Chassis

BSB ABEC 9's

RinkRat Hornets

Im currently skating on Nike Roller Daddys and will be using the above setup 95% of the time on SportCourt respectively. Just reading the past thread about easy wear due to floor friction and Im prepared to accept that (as usual) as part of the aging process on skates. Also warranty not applicable as all Aussie merchants refuse to touch any piece of equip thats bought online.

I'd like to do it myself. I've had it done professionally twice on inline skates (changing frames mostly). But would love to do it myself as that way I have maximum control over the quality and would also find it a "fun" excercise to do. In saying that it is costing me big dollars to do (about 670 aussie bucks) so I want to take my time, use the proper tools/methods etc so as to avoid a shite job on my part.

This is one thing I wouldn't do unless I had the correct tools, and the correct tools aren't cheap. I say just have a professional do it, especially if you don't want to screw anything up.

Theres plenty of guys here local that have done it and have had no problems. I mean granted you are right in your warning, but seriously its not that hard. One bloke has attached his Mission D1's chassis (can't remember the exact model name) onto his brand new Synergys. No problems. I saw the job and personally hes done a great mount. I don't see him as much so its hard for me to pick his brain on this project/get him to do it for me.

Still searching for some info online? Surely someone like JR would have some tips/suggestions on such a project?

What would you be attaching it with? Do you have access to a riveter? Or are you using screws?

You want to check for alignment and where the front and back wheels end. When I do swaps, I request that the frame has the front and rear wheel installed.

That being said, good luck.

JR, or anyone else with experience, how about a bit more detail. I've thought about doing this myself with the GRAF fasteners. My question is on the best way to get out the current rivets without a riveter. I assume I get a drill with about a 1/8 drill bit and just drill them out? Is it easier to drill out the rivets from outside the sole of the skate or from inside the skate? thanks.

You can kinda wedge a screwdriver between the rivet and holder and then pull them out with a pair of pliers but it can ruin your outsole by stretching out the holes.

Also, you could use a tool with a point (kinda like an icepick) and stick it in the hole inside the rivet and hammer it out, but you can't access the front ones that way.

There were a few shops here with riveting machines, however they have since closed. Bummer I know.

I will have to speak to the Rink owner around here and see if he will give me a deal for the mount and bake. Which reminds me, can I bake the Bauer XIX skates? If so what are the specs I should be baking them at (eg: time/temp)? They have a Mission baker which looks plus five-->>six years old.

Awesome, thanks JR.......When the timer is done do I simply just take the skates off or should I sit in them for awhile? Sorry if these are "dumb" questions but I have never baked before.