Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alostsok

VSI Team v. He950

Stupid question for all of you..

If both are brand new pairs, would you suggest

Mission HE950 for $229? or

1999 Mission Proto VSI Team for 99?

Both are great deals, and while I know the He950's have eyelet problems, so I remember the VSI's did also.. Even if the VSI's are brand new, there would be no real warranty on them, while the He950's still have that year..

Which skates have your vote on:

Stiffness?

Durability?

Performance?

Is it even close?

Thanks

as great a skate as the VSI team was...I can't really think of any piece of gear I'd go back 6 season to use...

I still use my 1999 Mission Proto VSI Teams and love them although I plan to replace them with 2006 Mission 9500s or 10000s. They're heavier than the He950s, but they perform well and they're certainly more durable.

My only problems with the VSIs have been that they are slightly too narrow and occasionaly the sinlge-sided axles come loose during play (the axle problem can be solved however by buying replacement axles from ePuck.)

Although recent Mission models are wider, I couldn't get adequate heel hold down or variable lacing tightness due to the new lacing system. In addition, many people have had the new 'eyelets' break off.

I would recommend the 1999 Mission Proto VSI Teams.

One thing to note however, is that the sizing is different between the 2 lines. I am a perfect 7.5 in the VSI Teams, but a 7 in the newer models.

I actually owned a pair of VSI teams and blew through them in about 8 months. I've had my he950s 9 months and they're still going really strong.

Were the 99's the ones with the silver'ish carbon and black with the 'new' misson *M* logo? With the millenium grippers and silver/blue chassis?

If so, those were awesome. I had a pair of those, and a pair of '00 wicked lights, best skates EVER.

Were the 99's the ones with the silver'ish carbon and black with the 'new' misson *M* logo? With the millenium grippers and silver/blue chassis?

Those are them.

They're these:

http://inlinesports.com/skate_temp.cfm?productid=protovsi99

Blueline,

Thanks for the point about the sizing; I'm about 90% sure my Wicked Lights were 8.5's; my Tour 962's are 7.5. I thought I could go into an 8 based on the sizing charts, but now I'm not sure; I bet 8.5 is my size in the older boot..

They only have 8 or 9... and no returns on clearance items..

hmmmmm

i dont think that link is the right pair of skates.. my friend used to have the skates with the milleniums,blue 1 sided screws.. carbon fiber boot..(thats wha it looked like)

The '99 proto VSI's I ordered from inlinesports.com look exactly as they do in the link. They are great skates, unfortunately the chassis on one of the skates cracked on me after a few months of HEAVY use. The axles do tend to loosen up during play as previously mentioned. They also rounded out easily, so buying replacements from Epuck wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd still be using them if the chassis hadn't cracked and I hadn't converted an old pair of Graf's for roller.

I ordered the VSI comp's in an 8D and was coming from a pair of '00 Proto V's in 8.5D. The Proto V's were big on me so I went down in size. I don't know how they would fit compared to current models. Sorry.

The older models have a tighter fit all around. The HE950's are wider, and the boots are larger (not fit, just material size on the outside) as well. Definitely go with the VSI's but upgrade the wheels if you want (you'd have to do the same with the 950's, those Factory wheels are P.O.S.'s). You will be much happier with those VSI's.

I bought a pair of the VSI's for $99 (probably the same deal you're talking about). Decent skates, probably a great skate 6 years ago. I wasn't happy with them. Just not stiff enough even though they were listed as 7.5 stiffness.

I'd say go with the HE950s...as long as you can deal with that DNA strand.0