Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crazy Otto

Beer league question

I'm not sure how to start this: my beer league team features a couple of guys who play D who are constantly trying to rush the puck, and go end to end.

While I don't have a problem playing with guys who do that, the problem is that as a forward, I often find myself having to slow up in neutral ice and never being able to cross the blue line into the offensive zone with any kind of speed. Same goes for all our forwards. I find it frustrating to play this way because it's harder to get into scoring position, forecheck or just generally create scoring chances unless our puck-rushing d-guy carries it all the way in below the goal line. When I do get the puck in the offensive zone I'm usually stationary and so are the other forwards, so about the only play is to shoot on net and hope for rebounds.

I've played with these guys long enough to know when I need to stay back and cover the point. Like most beer league teams, we don't practice at all, and I don't have any confidence these guys are going to suddenly change the way they play. My question is, are there things I should be changing in the way I play to be more effective?

Come back to the puck, you know the players who are doing this, so when you see them start to go, break back towards them, and curl up with speed. Stay on a different side of the ice so you aren't in their lane and keep going. I am having the reverse problem as a D in my league. I like to feed people when I rush, but because we don't play with a red line, I outskate our low forwards and our high forwards are stationary regardless. Break back to the puck and get open. You'll get your speed up, keep your feet moving and should be an option.

This should be viewed as a benefit to you as a forward. When defensemen rush the puck, opposing defensive players HAVE to step up. If your d-men have any hockey sense, they will dump the puck off to one of your forwards. Either stay wide and wait for a dish, or try to straddle the blue and become a trail option if they carry the puck into the zone ahead of you

This should be viewed as a benefit to you as a forward. When defensemen rush the puck, opposing defensive players HAVE to step up. If your d-men have any hockey sense, they will dump the puck off to one of your forwards. Either stay wide and wait for a dish, or try to straddle the blue and become a trail option if they carry the puck into the zone ahead of you

Hahaha, he'll be waiting quite a while for that dish from the guys in question. Just for the record, I don't believe I'm one of those guys.

Last summer's team we had a guy that would want to coast to coast all the time. Problem was that without this guy on our team on D, we did not win. Captain had to approach him tactifully. 75% of the time he'd score though. I think it takes the captain to step up and talk to them. If they try to be hero all the time then the other guys don't get to play thier positions and the forwards don't progress in thier skills. To his point, many of our forwards were not getting into a position to pass to and we became more aware of that over time and adjusted. The captain basically told him he could do it only when we were down by 2 goals and the winger was in position to stay back.

On our new team, we basically have 3 good D that can even stick handle good enough to bring it across the blue line. They know not to bring it up themselves unless there is a forward who knows how to play a little D in case he coughs it up.

You could also just not stay back and let the other D take on a 2 or 3 on 1, then that D will bi^ch at him for driving the puck up so far :D

well to be honest..If he is capable ... cover him and get open for him... If he's not, do what always seems to get the message across.....step off sides!!! He'll get the hint..I have seen it work plenty of times

You could also just not stay back and let the other D take on a 2 or 3 on 1, then that D will bi^ch at him for driving the puck up so far :D

The one guy in question doesn't ever feel bad about giving up a 2-1, 3-1 or worse. I won't play D with him anymore.

keep winding up offisdes..and when he asks wtf are you doing..all you have to say is "I thought you were going to pass it up to one of us"

Same situation here...

We have one d who is the best skater on the team hands down...however he tends to hold on the puck way too long trying to deke the whole team...

He has even shouted at his own teammate for getting in his away on a rush...

I generally try to get in the way of opposing players and him...like a moving pick as he comes up the ice...and then rush for the net if there is a rebound...

As much I value his skating ability...I do wish he would use it in a team oriented way(penetrate the zone and set up) not just trying to rack up his own personal stats...esp. in the beer league that doesn't keep those things....most of the forwards on my team just have that "why bother" look once he rushes the puck...mainly because they already know what is going to happen...

Other than the advice offered, I don't have much to add. But, I'd say hats off to you for keeping an eye on D and covering for them on the rush. I play 4 on 4 roller, and have a problem with forwards refusing to cycle back for a D man on the rush. They'll stay up front, and either don't care or don't see that they give up a 2 or 3 on 1 everytime they don't rotate back to cover. It's irritating at times, especially when I find myself with a good chance on the rush, and know I can't do it because there'll be no cover.

We've got a guy that does this on or team, but then he never goes back to the point. He will stand in a corner and wait for a pass until the puck leaves the zone or there is a whistle. Drives me nuts.

If you want to go coast to coast, fine. But that doesn't make you a wing for the rest of the shift! :unsure:

I can understand a D-man wanting to go coast to coast when their team's offense is not performing, but our offense is strong. Last week we were up 6-0 and he was still skating it all the way in.

Chadd & I have been talking about this for a while, 'cause Chadd sometimes plays D on our team and is the guy who ends up trying to stop a 2-on-1 when our other D guy is still deep in the offensive zone. Really though, it's more of an open-ended question 'cause in the beer leagues you do see this quite a lot. The most skilled skaters usually prefer to play D and jump up on the rush, and the forwards end up standing around a lot.

I can understand a D-man wanting to go coast to coast when their team's offense is not performing, but our offense is strong. Last week we were up 6-0 and he was still skating it all the way in.

The problem is that this style can preventing your forwards from generating any offense.