Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beer

Help Needed

Hey, I was wondering if some of you could help me. I plan on buying goalie equipment because it is something I have wanted to do for awhile but didn't have the cash. Well christmas is coming up soon, I was wondering if you can throw some recommendations out there for equipment(non-expensive) for a beginner. I am roughly 6feet 170lbs. Thanks.

define: "not expensive"

also, are you playing ice or roller? against what level of players?

Believe me you don't wanna skimp on the protection if you are facing players with a good shot. :P

Non-expensive meaning pads that are under 500 bucks, maybe used equipment. And I will probably start out playing for open ice teams in pick up games but I want good protection because you can get some guys there with nasty shots.

I second the DR 6.2's. As a beginner goalie, I think they are great. I looked around at pads in the $300 - $400 range and found these to have the most features in that price range. The only change I would make are to put in softer knee lifts. The ones on the 6.2's are bricks! The glove and blocker also can't be beat for the price. I've used the leg pads for about 15 roller games and 1 ice game. They slide really well on ice, but not too good for roller. I like the leg pads so much, I got a second pair in another color (thanks, Chadd!).

The lifts lace in on the 6.2's though, don't they? If so you can add/remove/change to help reduce the stiffness.

The RBK Seniors, not the Premiers are only like $300 usd, and they are very good pads, they are not top of the line, but they have all the good features and they aren't going to break the budget.

I've heard good things about the Itech Vamp 7.8 series, the DR 6.2 series seem pretty solid, the RBK senior gear might be worth a look, Goalie Heaven has some closeout Olie Nemesis pads going for $229 cdn on eBay right now that look like a good deal.

The important thing to look for in the pads if you are going to use them for ice play is the inner leg material. Some companies use cordura nylon on the inner leg of their less expensive pads (mission, vaughn, others), some use synthetic leathers (see above). On ice you definitely want pads with a synthetic leather inner leg. This will allow the pads to slide on the ice. Cordura sticks and acts as a brake.

Other than that, whatever you are comfortable with... Do a little research, try on as much gear as you can, see if you can demo a set from your LHS. Every mfg has little tweaks that makes their gear different, (for example the break in the trapper: could be high palm, low palm, 60 degree, 90 degree. thumb style: funnel or blocker, etc) see what feels comfortable to you.

You can check out the goalie store bulletin board for more reviews from others than you are likely to ever find here. Good source of goalie specific information.

Almost forgot.... Goalie Heaven also has some Brian's Vibe sets. (pads, blocker and trapper) listed. They have a buy it now price of $999 cdn for the set but you can submit a "best offer". You could likely get the entire set for $800. Seem like a really good rec level pad and nice gloves. Our other summer goalie uses them and really likes his.

Brian's Vibe set.

There are several sizes and colour combinations listed.

DR also has some pretty good pants and chest and arm protectors. Lots of protection at a fraction of the price of some of the big name stuff. You can usually scoop a pair of pants for just over $100 and a 6.2 chest and arm protector for just over $200. Itech is another good choice but just the higher models, stay away from the 4.8 series. RBK again is a good choice for pants and c/a's.

For a mask I highly recommend Olie 2000's. Pro level protection for $250 ($350 with a fancy paint job). Do NOT even consider the other model Olie's though (5500/9900). Also Itech 4000/4600 offer good protection, again stay away from any of the lower models.

Olie 2000's on eBay

Good places to buy online:

Goalie Heaven (eBay)

The Goalie Crease (eBay)

The lifts lace in on the 6.2's though, don't they? If so you can add/remove/change to help reduce the stiffness.

Yeah, you can replace them easily, I've just been lazy to switch them out. I just wear volleyball knee pads and that stopped the bruising of my inner knee.

DR also has some pretty good pants and chest and arm protectors. Lots of protection at a fraction of the price of some of the big name stuff. You can usually scoop a pair of pants for just over $100 and a 6.2 chest and arm protector for just over $200. Itech is another good choice but just the higher models, stay away from the 4.8 series. RBK again is a good choice for pants and c/a's.

Actually, I'm under $200 on the 6.2 C/A all the time. ;)

If you are still looking (after Christmas now), don't overlook the Heaton Healite Z's. I've heard the 2005 models are a bit different compared to the models before them, but they would probably work good for a beginner.

Between the RBK premier and pros, is there much difference?  I mean would i really tell much difference between the two?

this may be a little late but there no difference that I know of I have the premier set and its the same pads as the QMJHL team uses here and I prettey sure its the same as anyoth pro team around for $2700 cdn i dont see what could be different

Between the RBK premier and pros, is there much difference?  I mean would i really tell much difference between the two?

this may be a little late but there no difference that I know of I have the premier set and its the same pads as the QMJHL team uses here and I prettey sure its the same as anyoth pro team around for $2700 cdn i dont see what could be different

Material. That is really the only difference. There are slight design differences. But they won't use any weave or gen pro leather on the senior pads.

The premier is RBKs pro pad. There is also the Int. Pro and the Sr model. The Int. Pro stands for Intermediate Pro. Basically it's like a pro pad for kids.

The RBK Srs or the Vamps are both good pads. If I were you though, I'd wait a month or so to check out all the Sr pads the different companies are coming out with. A LOT of the Sr stuff coming out this year is awesome! From what I saw at the Hockey show in Boston, I highly recommend the Sher-Wood C5s, the Vapor XX, or the Vaughn 3700 Vision goal pads. All were SUPER nice and really inexpensive. I'm definitely picking up a set of the Sher-wood C5s to use for my National Tournament Dek team, but you could easily use them for any level of In House League hockey.

I'm also looking into goal equipment. I would be mostly playing roller hockey for goalie and occaisonally ice hockey. I am looking for low end gear like in the reebok range. My lhs has reebok stuff but no DR. How does the Reebok compare to DR? Do you know of any online stores with DR's for good prices or any lhs's that ship to Canada?