Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McCabe#1

Referee

I haven't refed in a few years but isn't the player responsible for his stick at all times?

Yes, but it is kind've weird in a referee situation. If they feel it's intentional they can call it, like Chadd said. I thought they were deemed "part of the play", like the boards that then the player, so high sticking the glass would be as much of a penalty as the referee? This is kind've tricky if it's unintentional, I'd say it is usually let go.

I haven't refed in a few years but isn't the player responsible for his stick at all times?

Yes, but it is kind've weird in a referee situation. If they feel it's intentional they can call it, like Chadd said. I thought they were deemed "part of the play", like the boards that then the player, so high sticking the glass would be as much of a penalty as the referee? This is kind've tricky if it's unintentional, I'd say it is usually let go.

I've been caught on faceoffs once or twice before with butt ends of follow-throughs. I told those centers that I'll assume the first time was an accident, but if it happens again I have to believe it is intentional and they're going to go to the box. You have to have your stick under control at all times.

Do you have to actually make contact for it to be a penalty? If it was at a faceoff, he was close to another player as well -- and if you don't have to make contact, well... ;)

Do you have to actually make contact for it to be a penalty? If it was at a faceoff, he was close to another player as well -- and if you don't have to make contact, well... ;)

Usually you need to make contact with someone or something but the rule is worded in a way that gives refs very wide latitude.

Being a linesman, I don't really like when this is done to me, but when you take a faceoff, and say you don't like an offside call or an icing, most of the time you can get away with a nice two hand to the ref, or a butt end. Just don't use it on the good refs.

There've been times when I've wanted to give the ref a penalty for getting in the way of a clearing attempt or pass. "You, black and white! Two minutes for interference!"

When I hit them with a clearing attempt, the pain is punishment enough.

i'm sure these kind of penalties are in the unwritten book of refs, you know, for them to fall back on when they mess up