Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WildFan

Adult Hockey League Players?

I'm strongly considering getting involved in an adult hockey league next season.

AHA - www.ahahockey.com

I am curious as to how many adult hockey league players there are out there, and in what leagues/areas.

1) What league are you in?

2) What is your location?

3) What is your age?

4) How many years have you played in the league?

5) Did you start at the beginner (lowest) level?

6) Have you moved up in level, since you started playing?

Thanks.

I think adult hockey is much bigger than you realize.

I live in Denver and my guess is there are around 500 adult teams spread throughout the different leagues/rinks in the metropolitan area. Every league has divisions for beginners, and most beginners will move up over time. Because skating is WAY different than walking or running, if you are a true beginnner, I'd suggess skating more than once a week if you want to improve.

I'd also suggest buying a video on skating to shortcut the learning curve; otherwise, you'll most likely be developing bad skating habits. One video I like is Planet Hockey because it's an overall hockey video, and not just skating.

1) Local "Beer" league.

2) Michigan.

3) Old enough to know better.

4) 4 years.

5) No.

6) No. Because I like the guys on my team, and the next level up takes things WAY to seriously. It's not the Stanley Cup Finals for God's sake!! :P

Join, play, have fun. That's what it's all about!!

1) Local Beer League

2) Fairfax, Virginia (about 20 mins outside of Washington, DC)

3) 17 years old

4) 2 years

5) I started at the "B" level. ("A" is the highest, then there is "B", "C", and Novice level)

6) I believe that I could move up if I wanted too, but I really like the group of guys I play with.

Theres a whole team of old russian guys in the league, they all wear the old CCCP sweaters, and only speak in russian, and get trashed in the parking lot after the games, theyre crazy.

3) What is your age?

1. Beer league

2. Harrisburg PA

3. 31

4. 7 or 8

5. yes, but they added a lower level a couple months after I started.

6. Within twelve months of starting I was playing in the best division in the league, not that I belonged there. ;)

I'm strongly considering getting involved in an adult hockey league next season.

AHA - www.ahahockey.com

I am curious as to how many adult hockey league players there are out there, and in what leagues/areas.

3) What is your age?

Thanks.

1) Beer league

2) Hagerstown, MD

3) 38

4) 4 full seasons and part of a 5th (injured)

5) Yes

6) Yes

3) What is your age?

1. Beer league

2. Harrisburg PA

3. 31

4. 7 or 8

5. yes, but they added a lower level a couple months after I started.

6. Within twelve months of starting I was playing in the best division in the league, not that I belonged there. ;)

Twin Ponds?

1) Rec. League

2) Overland Park, KS

3) 31

4) 2 to 3 (can't really remember)

5) Yes, I started "C" league because I just learned to skate.

6) No, I haven't moved up because I still suck but there is now a "D" league. I haven't moved down because I figure I can learn more being challenged in "C" than in "D". Our rink also has "B" , "A", and an "Elite" league.

AHA - www.ahahockey.com

3) What is your age?

Thanks.

1) beer league

2) orange county, CA

3) 21

4) a year and a half

5) yes, started in "initation league" after a few weeks of playing with friends during sticktime

6) i've moved up from initiation league to novice, and just recently i've started to play intermediate. there's one league above intermediate that i probably won't be playing for a while :] (hopefully though!)

i feel like i don't belong in the lowest league anymore so i generally take it easy and try to pass to the guys who are just starting out. i'm planning to stop playing at that level but i'm team captain so i'll probably wait till the end of the season. not like team captain does anything anyway.

i do pretty well in the novice league, and pretty poorly in the intermediate league. i guess i'm kind of in-between the two, skill wise. my intermediate team sucks, so i think that might make me think i do worse than i actually do. i played one game with a better team in that league and i felt pretty confident - maybe team play makes more of a difference at the "higher" (heh) levels. playing in this league definitely makes me better...you have less time with the puck until somebody's on you so you have to look up more. also you have to be better with positioning, which i definitely need to learn.

the leagues are kind of messed up with who belongs where. a midget AAA kid was just subbing for one of the initiation teams recently. he took it easy but still kicked ass. intermediate league has a few guys who played juniors and rock everyone. in general though, initiation is for beginners and people who want to feel like they're good without the skill, so they keep playing at that level (bastards). nobody really makes them move up unfortunately. novice is mostly guys moving up from initiation, a few good guys who don't belong but maybe can't play other nights cause of the schedule or they just want to look good or something. intermediate has less guys that are moving up, and a lot of guys that played as kids and quit for a long time, and some older guys that don't want to play in the advanced league anymore. advanced has a pretty wide range of guys...

i learned to skate when i was young but never played ice hockey. i played roller a little at about age 11. then nothing but soccer until recently. so i guess i had an advantage from skating before over complete beginners, but its definitely not helping me out too much :P

my biggest problem was getting comfortable equipment - i couldn't remember how skates were supposed to fit at first, my elbow pads kept slipping down, my shoulder pads were too bulky for a non-checking league...that kind of stuff. thats why MSH rocks :]

1) Beer league - www.hpuck2000.com

2) Andover, MA

3) 50

4) 2

5) Division 3 ("C" league). All three divisions are 30+ leagues. No novice or intermediate. Still hanging with the young guns......barely.

6) No....played in other leagues previously at other levels.

Jimmy: Does the sweater look familiar ?......@ WV wearing No Icing!

1) What league are you in? Beer league

2) What is your location? Harrisburg PA

3) What is your age? 47 (and I'm not even the oldest guy on my team)

4) How many years have you played in the league? 7

5) Did you start at the beginner (lowest) level? yes

6) Have you moved up in level, since you started playing? I've moved up, and I've played at every level in the league, but recently my team moved down a level when some of the more skilled guys playing on our team left to re-join a team which had taken some time off from our league.

1. Beer League

2. Huntsville, AL

3. 37

4. 4 years

5. Nope...Started in Division II (IIII being Beginner,III is Novice, I Advanced)

6. No desire to move up. DII is actually very fast paced, and we have a good number of players who are DI qualified, but prefer the DII league (as in: we show up, play D, you get to play more than the same 4 teams all year, etc.). A great level of hockey!

AHA - www.ahahockey.com

3) What is your age?

Thanks.

1) Private Adult leauge (next Year planning to play out of the Rochester oynex)

2) Macomb township, MI

3) 28

4) 5--Have'nt played in the past 3 years.

5/6) Started in check but stopped do to injurys, now play C level and plan to play B next year--If we can get are butts in shape.

3) What is your age?

1) The only one available locally

2) Corpus Christi Texas

3) 28

4) 3

5) Errr, yes and no.. We only have about 80-100 people in the area that play, so our league is mixed skill - beginners all the way up to advanced all on the same teams. We've had guys that have played in college, juniors, and even the minor leagues.. (one guy a few years back spent some time in the AHL)..

6) Again, yes and no.. there isn't a division to move up to, but I would say that my play has improved from beginner/low 'D' in my first year to high 'D'/low 'C' (depending on what position I play)..

AHA Twin Cities

Mpls, MN

3) What is your age?

On and off for 2 1/2 years

Started in the beginners school which gets you onto a team and into the league. They have a tryout/draft but I had never played hockey, and maybe skated a dozen times before starting with the AHA. The beginner school runs you through drills and positioning...kind of the basics for organized hockey.

I could have moved up a level this year, but unfortunately financially I could only afford to sub.

AHA is a pretty good option in Mpls. There are other leagues around but most of them are not as well run as the AHA.

3) What is your age?

1) Two leagues - one open division, one Over 30

2) London, ON

3) 35

4) 12 years for one, 5 for the other

5) No

6) I jumped in at the highest (open) and stayed there, the other has 2 divisions and we're in the top.

There's tons and tons of adult hockey out there. We have rinks all over town with adult ice-times for various leagues and levels.

1) Adult Safe Hockey League (ASHL) and Duffers Hockey League (DHL)

2) Vancouver, BC

3) 22

4) 0 (I'm new to the city)

5) Yes

6) Yes

3) What is your age?

1) Adult League

2) Pittsburgh, PA (Moon Twp., Bethel Park, Neville Island, Castle Shannon)

3) 21

4) 1.5

5) D at the Airport (which is considered C in most) C everywhere else

6) Yes

Next time I'm out visiting the in-laws we'll have to do some pickup at the airport rink. Do they still make you call ahead and reserve a spot?

Currently playing Rec Ballhockey.

Was in Roller league for 2 summers, in Ice league for 1 winter.

Toronto Area

3) What is your age?

First year in ballhockey, 1 yr in Ice (3yrs. ago), 2 yrs. in Roller (4&5yrs ago)

Yes for Ice, Intermediate for Roller

We started in D division in ice, and they league had authority to bump us up to C division and we ended up in last. I'm not a dangler, but definitely a passer and team player. I can probably play C level and at most maybe be a 3rd liner in B level if and when I start playing ice again.

3) What is your age?

1> Beer League

2> DFW,TX

3> 33

4> 2.5

5> Yes

6> Yes