Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NuggyBuggy

Pulling the goalie, how do you beer leaguers do it

Just wondering, when and how do you beer leaguers do it ?

1) Do you bother pulling the goalie when 2 goals behind ?

2) How much time is left on the clock when you start thinking about it ?

3) How do you decide who goes on the ice in place of the goalie ? Do you play your best available player or do you play whomever is due up next ?

4) Do you stack the lines with your best players or do you just keep your regular rotation ?

If you're down 2 and pull the goalie, it has to be earlier then if you were only down 1. We always pull the goalie when we are down 1, most of the time when we are down 2. You want to do it when you gain the zone or if there is a faceoff in the other teams zone.

You are trying to win the game so we always stack the lines with the best 5 guys and the 6th best guy takes the goalie.

Just wondering, when and how do you beer leaguers do it ?

1) Do you bother pulling the goalie when 2 goals behind ?

2) How much time is left on the clock when you start thinking about it ?

3) How do you decide who goes on the ice in place of the goalie ? Do you play your best available player or do you play whomever is due up next ?

4) Do you stack the lines with your best players or do you just keep your regular rotation ?

How do you pull the goalie? First thing you do is take him out, somewhere nice, perhaps with candle light. Then, take him back to your pad, play a little Barry White, then......

BUT:

1) Depends on the situation. Play-offs, probably so. Team you need to beat, or you feel you are close, or are already up a player (because they have a penalty), etc. All have to be taken into account.

2) Also depends. 2 minutes?

3 & 4) Equal pay, equal play traditionally. But everyone respects the situation. Typically, when I used to make those decisions, I'd take a poll and ask. Extra player is simple (go with best or someone who'd been shafted shift wise during the game). As for stacking the line, again, equal pay equal play. The question is related and is, essentially, the same question.

You also want to consider who's hot and who isn't. Some nights the most skilled guys just are not having a good night. You also want to make sure you have guys who are good in front of the net. It's not always the "best" guys who score the goals.

Well, when we pull the goalie we scream at him from the bench for 10-20 seconds to wake him up. Then he usually wanders over to the bench and we throw someone on the ice to take his spot. By that time the opponent has usually scored into the empty net and we can get back to 5 on 5 play and worry about the beer girl coming to our dressing room.

Our guys are usually pretty good about sticking a better player on the ice, however we do try to keep all things equal.

I would say we are a high-risk, low-reward kind of team, so for us pulling the goalie is fairly much giving the other team the win.

The one time in the last 2 seasons I pulled the goalie and stacked our lines, a few guys got on the team got their panties in a knot. The dilemma with our team is that

1) some guys do not like the idea of stacking lines,

2) the same guys do not like losing, and I mean they REALLY do not like losing, to the point that they take it out on the rest of the team, and

3) we have a lot of pretty bad players so our chances of scoring with a man advantage and these players on the ice are not much if at all greater than playing even strength .

I'd be fine with equal pay/equal play IF the team could lose gracefully and just have fun when that happened.

If you're not the more skilled player, or not good at getting the "garbage" goals in front off tips and rebounds, you should sacrifice for the team and give up your shift when the goalie is pulled. Some guys don't want to do that but most on the teams I've played on are pretty good-natured about it.

The best thing a beer league team can do is use the timeout to get everybody on the same page before pulling the goalie. I've seen teams in our league pull the goalie and some of the skaters already on the ice didn't even know the goalie had gone to the bench.

The best thing a beer league team can do is use the timeout to get everybody on the same page before pulling the goalie.

Makes perfect sense, unfortunately some refs in some beer/rec leagues HATE stopping the play, and will almost never call say an icing. You'd think they were late for a flight out of Baghdad.

and worry about the beer girl coming to our dressing room.

Wait, you have a beer girl? Where I play we're lucky if we get Pabst from someone old enough to be my grandfather.