Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Puddy

d-men: expectations when goalie plays the puck

When you see your goalie come out to play the puck, what, ideally, do you want him do do? How do you change your approach coming back? What would you do if you get beat by a forechecker and your goalie doesn't have his head up to notice? Do you communicate with the goalie at all what you want him to do?

I'd want him to slow it down or stop it if goes behind the net. If it's goin' kinda slow I'd say leave it. Of course, I'd give him a heads up if someone's on him. Communication is important for everyone not just the goalie.

Generally I spend alot of time with the goalies on my team. I use them to help me pick out sticks (I'm not always as objective as I'd like) and do other things with them. I talk to them all the time inbetween and such to get a good relationship with them. Get that working and start communicating with your tender. If he can handle the puck, make yourself a passing option and get to a good spot, but make sure it's "safe", so if it is intercepted, one of you is in a position to make a play. If he isn't tell'em to put it into the corners or side of the net and get your butt back.

If the goalie is looking to move the puck, be an outlet away from the forechecker. If he is stopping the puck behind the net, let him know you're coming. If you're coming from his blind side, tell him you're there. If a forechecker is coming from his blind side, tell him.

The bottom line, the more you communicate with your goalie, the better off you'll be.

I just pray he doesn't miss it...

if a guy is right on me..i hope he fakes to leave it for me and then passes it out the other way...but normally they wait for me to get close and push it 8ft away in the worst possible spot and I get creamed..so maybe missing it would be a good thing :D

I usually don't like it when the goalie tries to pass it himself, unless the risk is VERY low. I just try to give him a passing target and hope everyone on the ice for my team does the same. Unless myself or a teammate is already heading to get the puck... then I'd want him to just leave it for us.

See that's my feeling edge. (I'm a goalie.) My first look is to get the puck behind the net. I am no Brodeur... not looking to make the pass all the way to the other blueline. Problem is my d-men ease up when I come out to play the puck and the forecheckers usually beat them. There are times when I'm behind the net and I get swarmed from both sides. I'm trying to figure out what I can do to make things better. I don't want to have to rim the puck or make a hasty keepaway play every time.

The only time that changes is on special teams. PP I will try some passes I wouldn't if the forecheckers are laying off a little, and PK I will look for a lane to clear it.

I usually just take a quick look to see where everyone is for my team AND the other team obviously, then if I see he has time to make a pass, I give him a target and turn and look to breakout as quick as possible, most of the time though I'll tell him to drop it behind the net so I can pick it up and look to set our breakout up. Make sure to let them know when to cover it though if they don't see a hard forechecker coming...if they don't see them.