Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MB816 Problems

I'm a little frustrated with my RR MB816s. I got a set with my 9500s, which spun well. When I took them off and put them on my old pair Missions with Red Star chassis, 3 of them spun like crap. So I didn't use them, thinking it was a bearing issue.

Then I get a full set of MB816s for my bro. He tells me 2 of the 8 aren't spinning. I do some work on them, and find that if I dremel out some of the center core, that it seems to free up the wheel.

Well, I order a whole new set of MBs, of the 8, 4 didn't spin well.

WTF!!!!??? This shouldn't happen. I'm sorry, but at $9 a wheel, I shouldn't have to be dremeling out my own wheels to make them work. At first I thought, ahh just a bad set, then I thought it must be my skates. But after 3 completely different sets, I have had a bad time with them. Of 24 total wheels, 9 did not spin properly.

Has anyone else noticed this problem with their MBs? It's very upsetting, because I really like the RR wheels, but at $9 this is just too much of a loss...I will not be buying anymore RR wheels.

We have not heard of this problem on any of the MB 816 wheels.

Please send them to me so we can have a look at them. Address is on Rinkrat.com

Also, I understand your frustration but before you let your blood pressure get the best of you just contact me so I can help you out!

talk to you soon,

Mike

Mike,

What do you have radar? That was the fastest reply in history. Lol.

I have noticed that the bearing does not sit deep enough into the wheel core, so when you go to put it into the chassis, it's a tight fit. As soon as you go to tighten the bolt up, the wheel stops spinning. Dremeling has alleviated the problem in most, but not all of the problem wheels.

Like I mentioned, I thought the problem was isolated, and a bearing or even a chassis issue. But I have several pairs of skates and the wheels would not spin in either of them. The set that came on the 9500 spun fine in the 9500, but once I put them into my Red Star Alloy and Red Star E-Frame chassis, some of the wheels stunk. But then I really knew there was a problem when the set I got for my Bro's CCM PF4s had 2 of the wheels not spin at all until I dremeled.

I know you are happy to help out, but I threw away about 4 of the 9 bad wheels the other night in disgust. The remaining 5 spin, not well, but they do spin. I'm just going to take the time to dremel them out. I'm not looking for any free replacements or anything.

When I got my Code1s, almost immediately 2 of the cores on the Genesis wheels cracked. I contacted Labeda, and about 6 weeks later I got 2 wheels. Well in the 6 weeks that passed, 4 more hubs cracked! Needless to say, I wound up replacing them on my own. So my point is, I'm glad to see your willingness to help, but I skate 3-4 times a week, and I need wheels like yesterday. Sending wheels away to you, so that you can test and reship new ones with a turnaround time of god only knows, will not help me now when I have a very busy hockey schedule.

Sorry to go off like this, but I have been really, really displeased with alot of the gear that I have purchased. With my Tour nightmare that happened, now these wheels going on me, I just had enough.

i've said it once before and i'll say it again... "you have nothing but bad luck". :P i'm just surprised it took you this long to loose it cause i would of lost it LONG ago... :lol:

but yes i haven't heard very good things about this MB816 wheel myself but i guess every wheel has it's problems that comes up if you ship enough. I know my friend doesn't like the wheel because he said they always slip out of him but i don't think he had a problem with the wheels not spinning.

sounds like a case of bad luck...AGAIN!!! that sucks. I have gone through 2 pairs of MB816's and the only problem that I had was that the hubs cracked on 2 of the wheels. Nothing that wasnt too fixable. That sucks man.

Yeah it's been REALLY BAD luck. The MBs that came on the 9500s worked great after I dremeled them out. That's why I took a long time between complaints lol. RRs are great wheels don't get me wrong. And I'm by no means trying to trash the wheels or the company. Putting the wheels not spinning aside, they are easily one of the best wheels I've used.

That's why I don't really want to bust Mike from RRs balls too much about them. I guess I'm just having an isolated case. It's just strange that I have 3 sets of them, and all 3 have given me some type of spin problem...and I'm the only one.

AHHHH I got some MB's on the way in the mail to me as I type this....I love the hornets but now Im scared of the MB's and they are going on my Red Star Alloy as well...Wheels cost way way to much these days for stuff like that to be happeneing, Im not bashing RR either or any other company for that matter, but I have seen what shops pay for these "high end" wheels and needless to say all involved are making a pretty penny off of us...So Mike from RR I admire you for standing behind your product and coming on here helping us out with problems that come up and replacing wheels....I just think #96 is a little frusterated about his misfortunes and he had every right to be, I dont think I could have stayed that calm either without raising a big ass stink after all that...Its just that we pay hard earned money for our equipment(well some of us do) and we expect the best when we "pay" for the best....#96 I feel your pain I have been there too...Im done venting myself and will step down off the soap box....

AHHHH I got some MB's on the way in the mail to me as I type this....I love the hornets but now Im scared of the MB's and they are going on my Red Star Alloy as well...Wheels cost way way to much these days for stuff like that to be happeneing, Im not bashing RR either or any other company for that matter, but I have seen what shops pay for these "high end" wheels and needless to say all involved are making a pretty penny off of us...So Mike from RR I admire you for standing behind your product and coming on here helping us out with problems that come up and replacing wheels....I just think #96 is a little frusterated about his misfortunes and he had every right to be, I dont think I could have stayed that calm either without raising a big ass stink after all that...Its just that we pay hard earned money for our equipment(well some of us do) and we expect the best when we "pay" for the best....#96 I feel your pain I have been there too...Im done venting myself and will step down off the soap box....

Didn't you message me about the MBs awhile ago? I think I told you they were great wheels, but that I had to dremel them out some. Yeah, well that was the first set. Since then, I've had problems with two more sets.

Let me know if you have any problems with these wheels. What you'll notice, like me, is that on the bad wheels, you'll put the bearings and spacers in, but a little bit of the bearing will be sticking out. That is what is causing the problem. That little bit sticking out is causing extra pressure when you go to tighten the bolt, and then the wheels don't spin.

The Dremel is like a miniature drill, that has multiple heads or bits on it. You can remove one bit and put in another. Some of the bits are sanders, grinders, and you can use some others to drill out areas in tight spaces. It's really a neat little tool.

Yeah I take one of the grinding bits and grind out a little bit out at a time. I'll do it, then put the bearings in and check...repeat as needed, and often I do. Only downside is, if you grind out too much on one side, the bearing sits unevenly on the inside shoulder and it winds up wobbling causing the wheel to spin poorly too.

It's a pain in the ass. I hope you don't have problems. Like I said, I had 24 total MB816s, and 9 had some spinning issues, of those 9, I could not get 4 to work whatsoever.

No worries guys, remember I play the game as well and i know how frustrating it is to buy product with hard earned money and have it fail on you. The reason why I love this board is that you get honest product review from players in the field. If something fails in the field I totally expect you to get angry and look for answers. As a player I would do the same thing. I think this board also shows just how rare problems are in the field. For example we have shipped thousands of MB 816 and we have only heard of few isolated problems. In the grand scheme of things those are pretty good percentages. But of course the people that have the problems would tell me where I could stick those percentages. So again i understand the frustration guys. As a company we are only as good as our customer service, If you have an issue please let me know. I will do my best to help you out in any manner which I can. I think I have been pretty good about that!

So thanks again for using Rink Rat wheels and remember if you have an issue just let me know so I can help you out!

take care guys,

Mike

So this doesn't turn into one of those threads that make it look as if these wheels are a problem for everyone that's purchased a set, I'll report that I've had no problems with my 816's on a Red Star alloy using some older mission branded mini bearings. In fact, they're without question the best wheels I've used yet.

i got the wheels on my 9500s.. havent used them yet cause i put on a set of revisions for torhs.. but once i use them ill let you guys kno how they hold up.. didnt look like they had any spinning problems when they were originaly on the skate

playa28, dont feel bad i get the same response,no e-mail,no phone call,still no wheels.i did buy the hot shot wheels recently im hopeing they hold up better than the hornets,just alittle dissapionted.ive been a big supporter of rink rat .

playa28, dont feel bad i get the same response,no e-mail,no phone call,still no wheels.i did buy the hot shot wheels recently im hopeing they hold up better than the hornets,just alittle dissapionted.ive been a big supporter of rink rat .

That's exactly why I told Mike from RR that I wasn't looking for any wheel replacements. Althought I appreciated his offer, I know from experience that turnaround time for stuff like that can be weeks, if ever. And in the meantime, I play 3 or 4 games a week and have to replace wheels at my expense anyway.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I more or less just wanted to see if the issues I was having was isolated to me, or if others were having it as well.

Like I said before....no problems with the 2 sets that I have had. I had 2 hubs crack, but A) They were a softer durometer than the others on the skates. and B) The hubs looked to be shaped differently...so maybee they were of a different production run. And I purchased those 2 wheels from epuck after I had purchased the others for a sensor chassis (they were replacement for the 2 fronts) from a retail store. The pair that came on my 9500's have performed flawlessly....after 15 hard skates on them (TORHS, and other local tournaments) plus 4 inhouse games a week, and a couple of practices. The wheels are great....I wouldnt hesitate on buying them.....Almost everyone on my team uses them with no problems. We use X soft wheels, and most of us are floating near 200lbs if not over.

#96 i understand what your saying,when 4wheels explode on you in a matter of a few games,$40 thrown away i would like to know if there was a problem with the wheels i was buying(the new green hub hornets)i first called mike h back in oct 05,the rest of the b.s is history,piont is dont go making promises and then dont deliver.either way im done trying to get through to this guy,and mike if you do read this post ,1 im not an 18 yr old kid looking for freewheels,im 40yrs old,a father of 4,and know that good service is following through with e-mails ,letters of explanation and return phone calls,this isnt about hockey this is about your product.

That's exactly why I told Mike from RR that I wasn't looking for any wheel replacements. Althought I appreciated his offer, I know from experience that turnaround time for stuff like that can be weeks, if ever. And in the meantime, I play 3 or 4 games a week and have to replace wheels at my expense anyway.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I more or less just wanted to see if the issues I was having was isolated to me, or if others were having it as well.

Its just that normally he replies in minutes :o

im sure he is very busy,i just dont like to be fed b.s after b.s .(you know your wheels are on there way if they dont get there by this date e-mail me,or leave me your address on my message machine)ill get back to you .ya know what no biggie,no hard feelings,it is what it is.just got some revisions for my son so ill see how these hold up.peace.

im sure he is very busy,i just dont like to be fed b.s after b.s .(you know your wheels are on there way if they dont get there by this date e-mail me,or leave me your address on my message machine)ill get back to you .ya know what no biggie,no hard feelings,it is what it is.just got some revisions for my son so ill see how these hold up.peace.

I feel your pain Ice.

Going by the early feedback on this thread alone, sounds like my wheels are just an isolated incident. I bought my wheels from 1800Faceoff...maybe they got some bad batches? Who knows.

I really like the RR wheels, everyything about them has been terrific in the past. These last 3 sets have been the problems, but I'm not gonna hound Mike about it.

I've come the conclusion that with smaller items, it's basically bad luck and oh well. If I hound Mike, I'm sure eventually I will get wheels, but what do I do in the meantime, not play? That's where I'm at now. I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably gonna just buy my wheels from my LHS from now on. Even though I pay a little more there, if anything happens, the guy replaces them on the spot and he takes care of the return/replacements. I'll pay the little extra for the peace of mind that I can just walk in and get a new wheel no problem, rather than waiting for the manufacturer to get back to me.

I didn't want this thread to be a "Bash RR" thread whatsoever. I had no intention of having Mike get called out like he has been. I really just wanted to see if fellow MSHs have had the same problem as me. And thankfully, it doesn't seem so. So please, go out and buy Rink Rats! I have nothing bad to say about them. The cores just don't seem to be working for me :)

I just bought the 9500's and 3 of my 8 wheels have the hub cut in too short. The bearing can be pushed back and forward in the skate. I checked with the stock mission bearings and my BSB Swiss bearings... tried switching wheels to different places on the skate. It's defeinately the wheels. 2 of the 80mm and 1 of the 72mm. 1 is actually really bad. Just standing I can rotated the wheels from outer edge to inner edge (and vice versa) and that bad wheel makes a very loud click each time.