Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buffalo.hockey

ice hockey stop?

I agree - based on what you're saying, it sounds like you aren't crouched down enough. This makes your center of gravity higher, and gives you less control of your stop.

Find pictures of NHL'ers stopping. Their legs are bent so far that they're practically in a sitting position. Of course, it takes quite a bit of leg strength to be able to do that, so some off-ice fitness work might help as well..

Another common mistake is forcing your skates down into the ice. When learning, think more about sliding accross the top.

also when you stop you want to have a wide base, you don't want your feet to be parallel to each other. you want to actually make the stop with your outside leg and put the other leg in front of that leg.

Consider putting more weight on the balls of your feet; the steel is usually rounder there, so there will be less chattering and jolting.

And do the other things above; adjust your blade hollow to your weight ( it sounds like you need a shallower hollow ), and start the stop with a slide.

1 drill to try: start at the goal line, accelerate to the blue line, and see how far you can slide in a hockey stop position. I can get past the red line on clean ice.

Hi, I'm having trouble with dragging my back foot when i try to stop or when it doesnt drag it sorta just slides around and doesnt really dig into the outside edge...can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it?

learn to control your edges. you have 4 of them.

usually when you are skating around, you are only using 2 edges. This gives you the most leverage on the ice. think of making a sharp turn and learning to one side.

on the other hand, if you are standing very upright and your skates are flat, then all 4 edges of your skates are on the ice and not creating much leverage.

so, lean your skates over more (either with your body, your knees, or your ankles) and you'll stop faster. the more leverage you apply, the faster you will stop.

since you are jolting over, I doubt your skates are too dull. You might try dulling your skates a little so you can practice using your edges easier. just rub your skates on some wood or plastic.

another way to understand this is to go skiing. skis are like giant ice skates. when you keep the ski very flat on the snow it slides sideways easily. when you use a little edge it will still slide, but not so easily. if you turned the edge completely on its side, it's not likely to slide at all!