Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

92hatchattack

Help me learn to play hockey!

Ok, im a total beginer at hockey, and i want to learn to play. The final stage im trying to acomplish will being able to play some beginer leauge ice hockey. But i dont want to go in barely being able to hold my own.

So my plan is to start learning some stickhandling now, get on inlines outside in the spring, and this winder get on the ice and take some basic lessons. Then pretty much practice till the fall of 07 when i hope to be ready for some league play.

With that being said, ive got a stick, golf ball, and one of those mats you use under an office chair to practice with indoor right now.

Ive just started trying to stick handle a few days ago, trying to get at least 30 mins in a day. Ive already learned to try and keep my head up, so i set everything up in front of the TV and watcha as i practice. Im trying to keep my hands loose, expecaily my bottom hand and well as trying to roll my wrist to angle the blade to conceal the ball.

Now, i loose the ball very offten, which i gues is a beginer thing just not getting the the other side as fast as i should. But heres a question, where should my hand positioning be? As in ... should my top hand be tuckek in by my waist/body, or extended past it? Also, is it realy importand for the blade to be flat to the playing surface??? The way ive been practicing the top of the blade ends up being about an inch off the floor, and ive been handling with the mid/rear of the blade... Maybe the stick is long for me??? I did get a pretty long stick but i figure that it will counter itself when im up on skates.

So what now???? Do i just keep practicing back and forth back and forth and thats it??? Are there any other handling skills that i should start to work in? Any stationary drills?

What can you guys recomend to me??? I just dont want to get into any bad habits, and want to make sure that when i do get to the ice i will be able to at least have decent puck control.

Thanks guys!

---Joe

Congrats on joining the best sport on earth. Are you stickhandiling on feet or on skates? If you're on feet you may want to get a mess around stick cut to the appropriate length, which most would say is up around the chin. As opposed to the standard back and forth technique, you can set up 2 pucks and do a figure 8 or tape down a square and focus on working the puck around the square. Talk to KovyRibs Fedo, he had some crazy stickhandling videos on here a while ago or you can go on usahockey.com, where they have some videos as well.

EDIT: Off-ice drills link

Cool site .. ill be downloading them now ...

Also, do most of you agree that a golf ball is probaly the best off ice ball to train with??

And should i get a set of cheap hockey gloves to practice with since thats the feel im going to be using in a game, or am i straight just barehanded???

As a recent recruit of the sport of hockey, I'd like to say Welcome!

Anyways, before I played any league hockey, I practised my stickhandling a lot, using a golfball. The height is roughly the same as a puck but doesn't weigh the same so when you draw closer to the season, buy an inline puck and start stickhandling.

The best advice I can give to anyone who's aspiring to learn a skill or technique is to start slow and then gradually build up the tempo. Remember, you have to know what you're doing before starting to go at a higher tempo. So start stickhandling slowly, lift your head up and do your best to keep your head up.

But i dont want to go in barely being able to hold my own.

I say, why wait ? If there's a beginner's program near where you live, sign up for it now. If it's a beginner's program, then you will be able to hold your own if only because you will be with other beginners. The most important thing will be learning how to skate, and that's a lot easier done when you're wearing full protective gear and someone is instructing you. If you're like most people I've seen, you will pick it up a lot faster than you could possibly dream, and you could be playing in a league and having a ball by next winter, instead of just hitting the ice for the first time then.

If financially feasible I agree, why wait.

My wife started a basic hockey program in September (having never played hockey) and by mid October she was playing in a beginners league. By November she was in 2 leagues. This month she's on the ice 5 out of 7 days!

The vinny Lecavalier series of videos from smart hockey are worth a look. They plan out three weeks of daily workouts, show videos of Vinny doing them and explain how they will help you.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

My timeframe largely depends on me getting a first shift job. Right now im in no hurry because i know that i cant take lessons right now, having to watch my son in the morning, and then working 3pm to 11 pm..... as most adult league games are at those later times at night.

As far as learning how to skate, ill be learning most of it on inlines, and then tranfering that to the ice when i hit it. Ill be able to learn the techniques at least. My foward inlining is fine. I can crossover fowards well, but i need to work on backwards skating and backwards crossovers.

Im also hopping from skating aggro that a hockey stop is much along the same feel and theroy of a royale.( can and aggro skater confirm this? ) At that point one side should come naturaly and id just have to work on the other side.

And the final factor i need to work out is my weight and fitness. Right now im a 6'0 245lbs dude, which may be good for slamming dudes into the borad, but probaly not too good for agility and endurance. So im hoping to shed some pounds down to a nice 220-230 at least.

Oh, are there and ball like objects that weight the same as a puck that would be more fitted for outdoor practice than on of those light roller hockey balls, or should i just use and line puck as stated above? Last time i remember using an inline puck on the asphalt when i was a kid they kinda sucked and just rolled edge over edge all over the place.

And ill ask this again, should i get a cheap set of hockey gloves to practice with, or just bare handed is fine???

Smart Hockey balls are the closest weight to a puck that you will find.

http://www.smarthockey.com/

Since you're going to be playing with gloves, I would get used to them from the start. It will make it easier to adapt to playing as you're already used to them.

The only problem with begginer leagues is that not verybody in the league is a begginer and needs to move up and start playing on the next level. Players tend to not move up and then they take the game super serious even though they are playing with players who are essentialy begginers. Best advice get on a team that wants to learn and have fun. You will pick up the game faster then you think.

I started playing hockey two league seasons ago. I knew how to stand up and skate a little bit. I have gotten 100 times better. You will too. The only way to get better at Hockey is to play hockey. Your refelxes will get better when you are on the ice in real life situations and your skill will as well. Good luck and welcome the best gam on earth.

When I was 4 and wanted to play hockey I went to skating lessons for 4 years before I played a single game but I was young.

In my opinion try to get in as much skating as possible, stickhandle with Gloves on always, even elbow pads if possible.

Get a Smart Hockey ball , they are awesome.

Have fun, Best of luck ! Remember NEVER QUIT, you have it in you to be great !

^^^ Haha, im 23 ... im not looking to be great, im looking to have some fun, while learning some real skills to be competative at whatever level i am at.

Im looking foward to getting onto the ice, but dont have the time right now. Busy time for me now. I am seriously thinking about getting mission new 5500 inlines for my birthday though.

Ill take your guys advice and pick up some cheap gloves for now.

Also, whats the proper postision for your top hand on the stick? I relized that i kinda hold the stick at the butt, and the palm of my hand kinda rest on the top of the butt... im guessing that this is incorect, and i should move my hand down a little bit so its not on top of the butt???

1 more.... is there a place where i can buy a single Smart Hockey ball??? I dont feel like paying $45 for 5 balls. LOL

^^^ Haha, im 23 ... im not looking to be great, im looking to have some fun, while learning some real skills to be competative at whatever level i am at.

Im looking foward to getting onto the ice, but dont have the time right now. Busy time for me now. I am seriously thinking about getting mission new 5500 inlines for my birthday though.

Also, whats the proper postision for your top hand on the stick? I relized that i kinda hold the stick at the butt, and the palm of my hand kinda rest on the top of the butt... im guessing that this is incorect, and i should move my hand down a little bit so its not on top of the butt???

1 more.... is there a place where i can buy a single Smart Hockey ball??? I dont feel like paying $45 for 5 balls. LOL

A lot of guys hold their stick that way. A couple years ago I was talking to a local guy who spent some time in the NHL (even played with Gretz) and he did the same thing. He had almost a round ball on the end of his stick and said it was like an extre joint and he thought it game him extra dexterity.

Try your local hockey store, the ones in my area that sell the balls, sell them in singles.

^^^  Haha,  im 23 ...  im not looking to be great, im looking to have some fun, while learning some real skills to be competative at whatever level i am at.

Also, whats the proper postision for your top hand on the stick? I relized that i kinda hold the stick at the butt, and the palm of my hand kinda rest on the top of the butt...  im guessing that this is incorect, and i should move my hand down a little bit so its not on top of the butt???

1 more....  is there a place where i can buy a single Smart Hockey ball??? I dont feel like paying $45 for 5 balls. LOL

A lot of guys hold their stick that way. A couple years ago I was talking to a local guy who spent some time in the NHL (even played with Gretz) and he did the same thing. He had almost a round ball on the end of his stick and said it was like an extre joint and he thought it game him extra dexterity.

I guess its what feels comfortable.

But i did just practice choking up on the stick i bit. Felt like a had more control of my wrist movement. I guess its a personal prefrence.

I actualy relized i was doing in though because the bottom of my palm was kinda sore today.

1 more....  is there a place where i can buy a single Smart Hockey ball??? I dont feel like paying $45 for 5 balls. LOL

Try your local hockey store, the ones in my area that sell the balls, sell them in singles.

Still trying to find a local shop. If anyone knows any local shops in central NJ let me know!

Still trying to find a local shop. If anyone knows any local shops in central NJ let me know!

Try a Sports Authority. I looked on their website and they carry the ball for $10 each. I don't know NJ but there were more than a few stores listed in NJ so one might be close to you. Call first though before driving.

maybee i can order from them online. Ive been there looking for skates, and they dont carry near as much stuff in their stores as they offer online. But ill double check. Thanks for the suggestion!

Welcome to the amazing world of ice hockey. Hockey is one of the hardest sports as skating is such an un-natural movement. But if you are dedicated then it will really show. Not much advice i can apart from, dedication is the key, make sure it stays as fun rather than something you dont relish doing, and don't let others hold you back, you will get as good as you want to. GOOD LUCK

Yeah, I think it's worth it. They have a pretty good selection of both roller and ice hockey skates as well as selling used equipment. They should have most of the '06 stuff, that's where I picked up my 8K inlines. What's good abvout that place is if you've got old hockey equipment, you can sell it there or trade it in.

Fury, i dont know if i should be thanking you or coursing you out. BUT, i went down to Consignment Sports today with intent to look only, but i left with a pair of Mission 5500's on order ... lol, go figure.

Nice store though, def. wortht he drive.

Oh, and i picked up a smart hockey ball!