Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Datsyuk*13

How does detroit do it?

Guest Datsyuk*13

Zetterberg - 7th round 210th overall

Datsyuk - 6th round 171st overall

Hudler - 2nd round 58th overall

Grigorenko - 2nd Round 63 overall

How do they get all these guys especially Zetterberg and Datsyuk?

I think it's a mix between good scouting and luck. I was there when Datsyuk was drafted and by looks he didn't seem impresive, but it goes to show you never know. Also Colorado has really good scouts.

It's scouting but I still don't think they produce as much overall depth as someone like NJ or the Nordalanche (thanks Philly).

Colorado has traded most of their depth away during the cup runs. They don't have much left in the system. Detroit is simply a matter of good scouting and, as with anything, good luck.

The Leafs have done pretty well recently. Between the guys they've traded and the ones that will be coming up, they've done a good job over the last few years.

The Avs still have some hope out there. Svatos looked good from what I've seen.

As for the Leafs? Two words: Luca Cereda. 'Nuff said.

Bell, Coliacovo, Stajan, Poni, plus the guys they've traded isn't that bad. The Avs do have Svatos, Abby, Sauve, but nothing else here in Hershey.

I think Ian White and Jay Harrison can be added to that list Chadd. I've seen both of them play and the look like promising players. Not standouts, but good defencemen for sure.

My list is by no means the only prospects they have, just off the top of my head. As much as people complain about Mike Smith, the Hawks have a lot of good young talent coming up. Not all of it was drafted by him, but he added to it pretty well. Arnason, Bell, Calder, Ruutu, Yakubov, Vorobiev, couple of decent defensemen and Leighton and Anderson could be decent goalies.

Guest Datsyuk*13
Bell, Coliacovo, Stajan, Poni,

Do the leafs still have Brad Boyes or not? He was supposed to be good.

And was subsequently traded to the Bruins. As good as some of the Leafs' picks have been in recent years, there was quite a dry spell there. I won't dare touch the Fletcher years either.

The leafs seem to be doing a much better job of late. Most of the guys that look fairly bright weren't high picks, even Coliaicovo and Boyes were late first rounders. Kaberle was late, and alpt of the guys on the rock weren't high picks. At least not to my knowledge.

Alexander Steen is supposed to be an amazing Leaf prospect as well. Datsyuk- Don't forget Fedorov, Holmstrom, and Lidstrom were all drafted low as well.

Remember that players go into the draft at a young age, so there's a lot of development left to go through. It's not just luck. Scouts have to interview the player to see what kind of person they are and what kind of work ethic they have. If they pick him/her, the team has to help fully develop them, physically and mentally. The player's friends and family have to respond well to the success too, and not think it's time for the easy life. The player and everybody around him/her contributes to the success. If anybody fails to do their part, your development falls short. It's hard work but it pays off.