Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sonsplayhockey

Why so much focus on GAA

Why does the main stat that goalies are ranked on GAA?

Seems that Save % is a better stat for a goalie.

Seems to me that Shots on goal and GAA are a higher reflection on the team as a whole.

My kids played a game on sunday. It was 9-0. The other team had 6 shots on goal I think (pretty whimpy ones too) . We must have had about 20-30. Our goalie gets commended with a shut out. Was he such a great goalie? He was better than the other one but not by that much (for an 8 year old).

Neither is really a perfect stat, but results generally come with a better GAA. Save% doesn't account for the quality of shots against and can be inflated (or deflated) very easily. GAA can't be manipulated like shots can. I have a friend who plays at a pretty high level and he hates certain buildings because the shot clock guys manipulate it. Different buildings go different ways, you want your team to look good, jack up the shots, want your goalie to look good, jack up the shots against.

I don't think either is really a great way to evaluate a goalie, it's usually better to get out and watch him.

You really need to look at the 2 stats in conjunction. If a goalie has a high GAA and low save percentage, it is likely he is either struggling or his team is giving up prime chances that he doesn't have a prayer on. If a goalie has a low GAA and high save percentage then he is probably playing well or his team is allowing a lot of shots, but low percentage shots.

I agree with the save % being more important. GAA is more of a team stat. Both are affected by the play of the team in front of the goalie, but GAA more so. Also shot totals have to be taken into account. Luongo for instance has seen a ton of rubber since he broke into the league with Florida. Brodeur on the other hand has had excellent defensive teams in front of him that don't allow the same kind of scoring chances that Florida's team would.

I also think that a points per minute type of stat is excellent for players. Guys like the Sedins are totally underrated. They are way up there in the points per minute category.