Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

delpiero81

Practice at high altitude

In the last few months we moved for practice in a crappy rink at 1200 meters above sea level (3600 ft i think).

The first time at half the practice we were all in debt of oxygen, personally i was totally killed at the end! (like every practice, but this time more! :lol: )

Recently we came back to our usual rink and i felt to have a little more fuel, could be the practices at high altitude? Or it's just mental?

I would like to know how the body works at high altitude because i know the lack of oxygen improve your resistance but i never know HOW it works.

Anyone else have practiced in a high altitude rink?

Couple of years ago I went to the Air Force Academy hockey camp. The altitude is a lot higher than where I live. It took me a couple of days to deal with the change. Since there is less oxygen in the air, your body has to have better endurance to deal with the change.

I read an article that Jason Allison traveled one offseason to Colorado Springs to train. In the article, he said he had been told the residual effects of high altitude training can last close to three months. I have no idea how long one has to train at altitude to gain those benefits.

alot of trialtheltes and bikers train at high atlitude b/c of the lack of O2. what happens is the body begins to work w/less O2. after time the body is able to function the right way on hte O2 avaible at altitude. so when you come back down to sea level your body has more O2 to work with. ie when you skate for practice your wasted when your done. now you have more engery at the end and have an edge over the other team. it basicly comes down to endurance, the harder you work at altitude the less you have to work at sea level to get the same results.

if you what more exact info try searching pulminary edemia (altitude sickness) or oxygen depraition (sp). those aliments are found in mountian climbers.

2 years ago my inline team went to a tourny in Denver and we are from Illinios, so we were def. not used to the air. So our coach made us take a two hour trip all the way out to the mountains just to do a 1 hour long hike to get used to the altitude. But I think that it just takes some time to adjust to the difference.

I read an article that Jason Allison traveled one offseason to Colorado Springs to train. In the article, he said he had been told the residual effects of high altitude training can last close to three months. I have no idea how long one has to train at altitude to gain those benefits.

Well, this summer we go there to play some roller hockey while ice rinks are closed, so i will see how much the effect last when i will return on the ice!

But i have to say that in my case effect are almost ended... :lol: