Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kovy_Ribs_Fedo

In season off ice training

Erm.... plyometrics (the jump things) tends to help my first step a lot recently.

I also run 15 minutes every morning before school. After school, it's off to pushups and sit-ups.

I practise my stickhandling quite a lot but never quite seem to get there.

Lift during school for an hour, Go home and work with a personal trainer

I may need to specify it but I would like to know what you do specificaly:

eg:

Squats 2*6

Cone hops : 2*12 foot contacts

etc...

i

Mon, Wed, Fri-

Leg Press- 4x10

Leg Curls-4x10

Leg Extensions- 4x10

Step ups- 4x25

Squats- 2x10

Deadlifts- 4x10

Situps- 4x25

Tues, Thursday

Bench- 4x10

Incline Press- 4x10

Arm Curls-4x10

Situps- 4x25

Tricep extensions 4x25

Rows- 4x25

Mon, Wed, Fri-

Leg Press- 4x10

Leg Curls-4x10

Leg Extensions- 4x10

Step ups- 4x25

Squats- 2x10

Deadlifts- 4x10

Situps- 4x25

Tues, Thursday

Bench- 4x10

Incline Press- 4x10

Arm Curls-4x10

Situps- 4x25

Tricep extensions 4x25

Rows- 4x25

That's quite a program there.:o Where did you find the trainer you are working with? Are you in season now or is this pre season training? How long are your workouts after school? What is your lifting schedule during the school hours? It seems you may be better off concentrating on running either distance or doing a truck load of sprints during the school day and then hitting the weight piles after school.

He is at my local gym and he has a degree in personal training. I am in season now. My workouts after school are 1 hour. The workouts above is mine during school. My trainer basically helps me and my friend with Plyo's, balance, and agility

He is at my local gym and he has a degree in personal training. I am in season now. My workouts after school are 1 hour. The workouts above is mine during school. My trainer basically helps me and my friend with Plyo's, balance, and agility

What type of class is that? Some type of advance P.E. ?

Weightlifting & Conditoning

I had "advanced PE" in high school in 1985,86,87. I know that was the dark ages, but that PE was the highlight of my day. We either ran, hit the weights, or did butt-busting calisthenics. That was five days a week. I thought then and am still of the opinion that every PE class should be taught that way, not just for the athletes.

Good for you Kovalchuck!

It all depends on how much hockey you do. If you are doing 6 or 7 days a week of intense hockey in-season, you probably do not want to be doing any heavy lifting (squats, leg presses, etc). The reason is that if you are really doing a squat properly, it is going to take you 2 to 3 days to recover from that one session, and skating on top of it will just traumatize the leg muscles. The time for heavy lifting is off-season!

In season, assuming you are in pretty good shape, plyometrics are your friend. You can even do plyo the day of a game without much adverse impact, and plyo sure helps your explosiveness.

Flexibility exercises and stretches are really important. First, skating tends to make you all hunched over, and your leg muscles tighten up, and then you can not get a good-full skating stride. All the stretching you can think of is probably not too much--especiall hip flexors, etc. Also, stretching means the difference between having a warm bath at ho9me or having to go to the ER after a big hit.

You need good aerobic capacity. You might get that on the ice with enough fast paced drills, you might need to suplement limited ice time with an exercycle or running, etc. Some NHL dudes also exercycle after a big/tough game to get the toxins out of their body. Hopping onto the exercycle, setting it to medium, and peddaling straight for 45 minutes is a good thing at least once a week.

Then, there are muscle that you do not use often in hockey that need to be trained. Back muscles are good to have if you are dancing in the corners--a seated row or pullups are good. If you can do only 3 pullups, guess what? You need to work on those back muscles. It does not matter howmany trucks you can bench press, you need both sets of muscle (Front and back of the body) to be a top player.

Any thing you can do tossing a medicine ball around with a partner will be great for hockey core strength. No partner? Get a rubber medicine ball and bounce it off a concrete wall.

And anything you can do to improve one-legged ability will help in hockey. The superstars can do amazing shots while being hauled down and skating on one leg. Single legged squats, lunges, etc are always good, and if they are body weight only, you can do them all day long and not screw up your season.

Quite a busy schedule there, Kovalchuk

Ya,thanks Theo and Gman.. Its good though.I feel really good. Im tring to get some extra strength and speed for state team tryouts this spring....Hopefull itll work out..One question

How much protein should I be taking in and when?

Protein: As much as you can with every meal. Your body may be able to uptake carbs quickly during a certain period after a workout. I have not seen any studies that really convince me of this however. As far as protein, your body is using protein all the time. When you work out hard, the only time you are able to grow and get stronger is when you are resting. It takes time for protein, in any form, to get into your blood stream where it can be absorbed and used for building. Long story short. eat good protein with every meal. Milk is great as are egg whites, chicken and fish. You do need some red meat but not as much as many people think. Personally, and this is just my opinion, I do not think the shakes and pills and candy bars are all they are cracked up to be. I do not think they necessarliy hurt, but I do think that you should not take this stuff in lieu of real food. I also think that you can save your calories for real food as well.

All this assumes you are not a vegan. If you are then I cannot help you as I have no experience with that.

Good luck!

Good luck!

I read from 3 different experts suggesting that a hockey players diet should contain no more then 15% protein in any given day. Also stating that many overrate the intake of protein.

Would you argue with the 15% of disagree with it?

But I do congratulate your thinking on real foods and how you rate them higher then shakes, pills, etc.

I disagree with the 15% theory. I think it should be more. If you want to cut calories, that is fine, just make your protein high quality from real food. Ten grams of protein from a Big Mac or whatever they say it has, does not treat your body the same as 10 grams of protein from a chicken breast. Your body has to dig through a bunch of other garbage before it can get to the Big Mac protein.

From what I understand, the carbo loading diets, of which I consdier a 15% protein diet to be a part of, may be okay to a certain degree with long distance endurance athletes. But an athlete who has to have any functional muscle at all has to have protein.

My brother-in-law is a fitness and nutrition FREAK. He runs marathons and has been in Boston AND New York on a number of occasions. He used to go along with the high carb, low fat, low protein diets for endurance athletes. He now does a much more balanced diet and even as an endurance athlete, he is performing at a much higher level than before. He is getting older, smarter, and running FASTER than ever before. Even his short distance races are drumming out PR's after PR's. I believe he is at about 25% protein, 40% carbs and the balance in quality fats.

For a strength/combat athlete (which I consider hockey players to be), I would not hesitate to raise the protein to 1/3, keep the carbs, and drop the fat. 23% of your daily intake in quality fat is plenty IMHO :) I suppose if you wanted more sugar in your diet you could drop to 13% fat and bump up to 50% carb, but I think you would be miserable.

generally- you want to eat atleast 1g of protien per pound of body weight. Try to eat carbs first thing in the morning (whole grains- oat meal, wheaties things like that with low sugar), and about an hour or hour and a half before your workout or game. Protien Shakes are amazing if you buy the right, high quality ones. The stuff you buy at GNC is crap. that being said, they should never take the place of a meal.

www.fitnesser.com and www.bodybuilding.com

are two great places to do some research. I order things from bodybuild.com and the services and prices are the best you will find. for you, or anyone else for that matter, you should atleast buy a tub of protien ( i recomend optimum 100%, it tastes great and is considered by many to be the best availible) and have a shake after workout or game.

on a personal note - last year i had been lifting for a while and i thought my diet was "good". I did some research, ordered a good multi vitamin, creatine, and some protein, fixed my diet and changed my workout a bit. I put on 15 pounds of muscle in 3 and a half or 4 months. When i came into practice in the fall, the coaches told me i looked like a different player, every aspect of my game had improved. do a little research, and if your willing to work for it, you will be very happy.

Everything you read anywhere is a generalization. Everyone's body is a little different. If you have the patience, dedication, and interest, you can fine tune your diet to your particular bodie's own needs. Additionally, your dietary needs will change throughout the year depending on the outside temperature and the changes in your training. It is really becomming as much an art as it is a science with everything being published and widely accessable now on the internet.

The bottom line is to take everything you read and learn and use it as a baseline. Then keep logs of your diet, training and body changes and make tweaks until you find what is right for you. Unfortunatley, that is about the only way to get the perfect diet. More protein, though, is not automatically absorbed as fat. For a very basic description of how fat works, go to www.howstuffworks.com and type in fat or do a search in the body and health section. THat will give you another place to start.