Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MDE3

Not hockey..but related

"Ex inline speedskater wins gold on ice in the 500 meters in Turin"....this ought to make people sit up and listen..although the article goes on to say that "he worked on his form for the last couple of years...."

Maybe this will help change the impression that inline skating is so detrimental to ice skating at a competitive level. However speed skating on inlines is more similar to speed skating on ice where both use a flat plane to push from, not a radiused edge like an ice skate.

can you imagine being the guys next to Chad 4 years ago in Vegas...

at a blackjack table watching Parra win the Gold

"I used to kick that guy's ass"

uh-huh...sure buddy..are you in??

"Ex inline speedskater wins gold on ice in the 500 meters in Turin"....this ought to make people sit up and listen..although the article goes on to say that "he worked on his form for the last couple of years...."

Maybe this will help change the impression that inline skating is so detrimental to ice skating at a competitive level. However speed skating on inlines is more similar to speed skating on ice where both use a flat plane to push from, not a radiused edge like an ice skate.

Interesting observatino MDE but I have to emphatically and respectfully disagree. But only as far as speed skating goes. I believe the fact that ice and inline speed skates are so similar in radius or lack thereof, that the mechanics are virtually identical. Not to mention speed skating requires only a forward stride and crossovers. There's no need for quick changes of direction, lateral movement, stopping, backwards skating, etc.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the long wheelbase and the length of the blade being so similar as well, making the overall technique about the same.

The physics between inline and ice for speedskating are a bit closer than hockey, but it still requires a great ability to adjust. Alot of the issues are the same, you can drag your toe on inlines, or eat it doing that on ice. Alot of the customization on the skates is the same, ice you can tailor your skates a bit better than inline as far as blade placement, etc. I used to inline speedskate before I found hockey so much more enjoyable. As far as anyone saying that inline is detrimental to ice play obviously doesn't look too well at the top Narch rosters to see Div. 1 NCAA players from College. Brett Sterling from CC is a shining example of being a phenom in both.

I agree. Inline skating isn't detrimental to ice skating for someone that is naturally athletic, and/or spends an equal amount of time on both.

I've always used the analogy of speaking two different yet similar languages, i.e. spanish and portuguese.

Interesting observatino MDE but I have to emphatically and respectfully disagree. But only as far as speed skating goes. I believe the fact that ice and inline speed skates are so similar in radius or lack thereof, that the mechanics are virtually identical. Not to mention speed skating requires only a forward stride and crossovers. There's no need for quick changes of direction, lateral movement, stopping, backwards skating, etc.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the long wheelbase and the length of the blade being so similar as well, making the overall technique about the same.

Please re-read what I wrote.....are you are disagreeing with me essentially saying the same thing about the two speed skating disciplines, or the fact that a converted speed skater having success on ice, will have any effect on peoples opinions concerning inline skating being detrimental to ice skating for hockey?

Having run power skating clinics for both disciplines at "A" levels and above, I can tell you that the basic stride I taught was the same for either..only the push angles vary somewhat for straight line skating, and the pitch angles for stopping. The pivot points for rapid turning/stopping move from the center of the skate on ice to either the toe or the heel for inline.

Second part. I don't think there will be a huge reversal of opinion. If anything it made me want to try out a pair of speed skates.

Also I don't think it was a signifciant enough of an event media wise to have reached enough people (people that want to incorporate ice hockey and inline hockey).

It won't become significant unless/until roller sports become part of the Olympics. If that ever happens, then you will see the significant spike in roller sports that curling has experienced in the last few years. If that never happens, the roller sports will always be viewed as inferior to their ice counterparts, even if that's not necessarily the case.