Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LetsGoWings13

Parents wont let me get new skates

dont think hes gonna want any bottom of the line skates, after coming of 8090s, i think all the ones u suggested are gonna feel like bricks

It might not apply to him, but all the worthy jobs near me all pretty much told me: "Once you're driving, we'll give you a job"

I mean, I'm sure stop and shop would give me a job, but no thanks.

At least my LHS owner said he'd hire me.

Man get a job lol. No offense but I've been working since I was 14, it helps you learn the real value of money.

No it doesnt. When you work when you have no bills, you learn the exact opposite of the value of money. You have no bills when you are 14. No rent. You can blow your whole paycheck without remorse. Once you move out and live on your own, you learn the value of a dollar because you cant just go and buy what you please.

How long ago did you have these skates for? I mean perhaps the reason why your parents do not want to purchase you new skates is because you might not have had them for too long? If your parents do happen to get you new skates, perhaps you should try to take good care of your skates. In addition, if you plan to get new skates frequently, perhaps purchasing higher end skates is not the right way to go. Just a thought.

Well i took my skates into my lhs and they reccomended i get new skates. I walked out with a pair of mission 7500's :P lol. Im pretty excited to try them out. I know this really belongs in the equipment thread but are there swiss bearings the same as the bsb swiss bearings. They say mission swiss on them.

Man get a job lol. No offense but I've been working since I was 14, it helps you learn the real value of money.

No it doesnt. When you work when you have no bills, you learn the exact opposite of the value of money. You have no bills when you are 14. No rent. You can blow your whole paycheck without remorse. Once you move out and live on your own, you learn the value of a dollar because you cant just go and buy what you please.

Exactly, I started working when I was fifteen. Thought it was great, I had money and could spend it on whatever I wanted. Then I started having to pay for things like insurance, gas, school tutition. That's when I really learned about the value of money.

Back on subject, see if your parents will split the cost of skate with you. Find a pair on closeout and show your parents. Tell them how much they did cost, and then tell them what a deal they are now. Then ask if they will help you with the cost. When I was younger my parents generally paid 50% of the cost of my skates.

Well i took my skates into my lhs and they reccomended i get new skates. I walked out with a pair of mission 7500's :P lol. Im pretty excited to try them out. I know this really belongs in the equipment thread but are there swiss bearings the same as the bsb swiss bearings. They say mission swiss on them.

Howd you manage that? Didnt you say that your dad was struggling to get you some, and still, some high end ones at that? Mine are arriving in the mail tomorrow, you and me will try em out together.

Im not sure if the mission swiss=bsb swiss or not, I would guess they are right up there with them...I havent had a problem with mine and they seem the same caliber as bsb swiss, either way the mission swiss bearings are good bearings.

Before i skate in these i had a chance to get the he950's from last year would it have been a better choice to have gotten those?

NONONO, last years had many many issues that aren't worth the headache. this years are so much better feeling and apparently perfomring too. I finally got a chance to check out the new stuff up close today since I've been out of the swing for the last 6 months or so and I'd take this years 5500 over ANY of last years skates. Take the 7500 and run with it, you shouldn't be disappointed.

if they fit good you should have no worries, and if you do get a fluke issue Mission seems to be pretty good in the customer service department. Last years skates have hopefully taught them a few things about drawing the line between consistancy and cutting edge tech.

Ok my roller hockey skates are completly shot. The bearings make a grinding noise, they have absolutly no stiffness left, and two of the eyelits are pulling out yet my parents are convinced that i do not need new ones. Neither one of my parents have ever played hockey and dont know what its like. Im really starting to notice a difference in my skating. Any ideas on what I could say to them to convince them.

Two words: Paper route.

I know im pretty sure at one point last week it was 50 degrees. I coudlnt believe it.

No kidding man. Around here we had a load of snow one day, planned to go out, but a few kids from down the road had already tried to go around.

Then, 60 degrees the rest of the time... what the heck man...

Ok my roller hockey skates are completly shot. The bearings make a grinding noise, they have absolutly no stiffness left, and two of the eyelits are pulling out yet my parents are convinced that i do not need new ones. Neither one of my parents have ever played hockey and dont know what its like. Im really starting to notice a difference in my skating. Any ideas on what I could say to them to convince them.

Two words: Paper route.

That was going to be my suggestion too.

I actually looked to get a paper route a year or two ago and now adults have those jobs and they drive around in pickup trucks with someone in the back end throwing the papers out lol. I sware a kid cannot catch a break.