Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheProfessor

New to Ice hockey

I've been playing roller for 10+ years, but have never played ice. Hell, I've only ice skated a handful of times. I want to start playing ice, but I'm not sure how good I need to be to play in an adult beer league. Ive heard od pick up times at local rinks, but I imagine Im not even good enough to play drop in. I've also heard of "stick and puck" sessions. Could someone fill me in on exactly what goes on in these sessions?

Ive found a rink that has an "instructional league" for people new to playing hockey, so im thinking of joining.

Any advice for a roller player converting to ice? Im also wondering if my rolelr gear will be sufficient for ice (I know Ill need to get some breezers)

My understanding (roller player converted to ice here ;)) is that stick and puck sessions are more or less "open ice"; you show up with your stick, and you practice skills, more or less on your own. They often turn into impromptu scrimmages.

If you can stay mostly vertical and more or less know the rules you're probably fine for either the instructional or beer league. I was at the new player skate for the local beer league and there were several guys who were pretty shaky.

Check for "Learn to play hockey" classes -- those are directly geared to teaching you skills (including skating) and getting you ready for a league, if you just don't feel ready. I'm not sure where you are, but if they have them in Austin they probably have them in most reasonable sized cities. ;)

Initially your roller gear will be fine, assuming you have shoulder pads (since I never wore them in roller hockey) and reasonably protective elbow/shin guards. I'm still using the same pants, shins, and elbow pads I used for roller and while I will want more protective stuff as I can afford it (esp since the pants are a couple inches short), they've been fine.

Oh, one thing that will probably trip you up at first is offsides. A lot of roller players seem to have trouble adjusting to that, and end up offsides -- a lot. :D

I'm sorta in the same boat as you. I started playing ice in the adult league this past session. I'm in the D, and you see some guys falling over themselves every once in a while. Most guys don't have too big of a problem skating, just it's not really fast so I'm pretty sure you can keep up. Drop-in on the other hand, I've had bad experiences. They are always the A, B, and C league guys there and I get owned. I'd recommend doing public skates and stick and puck.

And I do recommend some ice hockey pants, since roller pants on ice ain't exactly pretty ;)

So most guys wear full gear for stick and puck sessions?

I don't ever practice (on the ice) without full gear. It's just too easy to take a tumble and hurt yourself, plus "practice like you play".

Yeah, I figured stopping was the thing thatd be most different from roller. I went up to the rink to watch a D league game (one level up from the instructional league) and it seems like most guys out there can skate pretty good, but the puck control/shooting isnt there yet. I think a season in I league will get me the practice in skating that i need. Then I'll be ready for D league. This is in Dallas, so there's plenty of people that didnt grow up on the ice like me who want to learn to play.

Oh yeah, one more question, what do ice players wear along with the shorts? Do i need some of those big sock things that go over my shin pads?

I have seen many players transition to ice from roller. I don't think you'll have much of a problem. Like Chadd said, the biggest diff is stopping. I know lots of roller guys that would just skate around and not stop for the longest time. They were still good players even without stopping very well.

Oh yeah, one more question, what do ice players wear along with the shorts? Do i need some of those big sock things that go over my shin pads?

I hear from several guys in the league down here that the Stars have pumped a lot of money into Dallas-area hockey, so it should be a good environment.

As far as shorts, most do wear ice socks (you may need a girdle to hold them up as well). What I do is wear my roller hockey pants under my ice hockey pant but over my shin guards; it's a little ghetto but it's what I'm used to and it works for me. ;)

the hardest part for me was learning how to stop quickly. if i have time to stop, it's not a problem at all. but the quick stops where you need to turn right away can get difficult for me. my first instinct is to stop like in roller. i always ended up eating it. but after a few pickup games, i got used to it.

I played roller here in so cal for 12 years and just this last October started ice, in a "low" Division 4 league.

Here's what I recommend:

1. Get skates that fit well. Go to a LHS, try a bunch of brands, get ones that "feel" good to you. Trust the LHS owner. Get a pair of those jocks/shorts with velcro tabs, the socks stick to the velcro. Easy. I don't recommend using roller gear to play ice, even in a non-check league. The only piece of gear I kept from roller were my elbow pads, 'cause they were fine for ice.

2. Go to weekly clinics. The one I go to is $20 per 1.5-2 hours session, once a week with a scrimmage at the end. Ask the instructor to work skating/stopping drills. This is the biggest difference. If you play D, spend even more time working on skating drills. He can show you inside/outside edge drills, carving, and all sorts of stuff that will make you think you suck. Trust me you don't.

3. Once you feel more comfortable on your skates, start getting used to stickhandling on the ice. The puck on ice moves faster and farther than the molasses-like roller puck on wood/sport court. After 20 games I'm still getting used to the speed of the puck, both stickhandling and passing. It will take time to adjust, so give it time and don't get frustrated.

4. Go to public skates. Not only is it better than mowing the lawn, you can work on those same carving, edge to edge drills, even without full gear on. For some reason I think its more difficult to do drills like that without gear on so take it easy. Pick only one or two specifics and spend the time on those. Muscle memory is everything.

Good Luck!

-Elwood

Stick and Puck is great. I suggest wearing all your equipment so you are not only protected but you get used to stickhandling and shooting with all the gear on. Check your local rink to see if they have and odd time stick and puck. My local rink has a Friday S&P at 11am so there are usually very few people there at that time. If you choose not to wear full gear, I would suggest NOT skating behind the goal.

The last (and only) stick and puck I went to was filled with a bunch of 13 year old kids all trying to flip the pucks over the boards...started out with at least 15-20 pucks. After an hour and a half, there were 2 left.

But yea, you should probably bring your own puck(s), and I would think you'd be fine just wearing a helmet and gloves as long as you steer clear of people shooting.

i would bring all your gear in case. you never know when you're going to eat it or get hit by a random shot. plus if you guys end up playing a pick up game, you'll need the pads. most rinks won't let you on the ice w/o full gear for insurance purposes anyways.

I'd suggest going with the socks. At least they're one of the cheapest items you'll need to buy and you'll look a little more like a hockey player.

Also, buy some of those combo protective cup/shorts that have velcro built in to hold up your socks. When I started playing again recently after being out for many years I found that was one of the greatest innovations while I was away! No more garter belts. You'll just need a bit of clear tape over the sock to hold it tightly in place.

Yeah, I figured stopping was the thing thatd be most different from roller. I went up to the rink to watch a D league game (one level up from the instructional league) and it seems like most guys out there can skate pretty good, but the puck control/shooting isnt there yet. I think a season in I league will get me the practice in skating that i need. Then I'll be ready for D league. This is in Dallas, so there's plenty of people that didnt grow up on the ice like me who want to learn to play.

Where are you at in the DFW area? I could get you in touch with some guys that play in the I league in Euless.

Im actually over on the far east side of the metro area, over near mesquite. Im thinking of playing in the I league at the Ice Training Center in richardson. Thats the closest rink (that I know of). Anyone ever played there? If so, id appreciate any advice on the best place for me to learn.

I know guys that have played out there ... they've always had good things to say about the rink. Not sure about the "I" league though...