Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jimmy

Got my 9k Pumps today

I got my 9k pumps today. I have to say, they are way better than I expected. I only saw them briefly from a distance at the trade show and the catalog does not do them justice. The skates are awesome. The fit is beautiful. They felt great out of the box and even better after I heat molded them. The new cowling is something else. Lightened, lowered, narrower, and a with a shock absorbing cap. These skates were 1/2 lb less weight than my regular CCMs. The steel is a whole different story. On the 9k's the steel is stainless, and lightened. Normal goal skate steel is 4.0mm thick, this steel was only 3.2mm thick, just a bit more than a player skate steel. They sharpened up nice. These skates come with a 30' radius which is a big improvement over the flat radius that normally comes on goal skates. Still, I tweaked it a little more, shrunk the radius down even more to 25' and gave it a good forward lean. I can't wait to try them tomorrow morning. I have no clue how the narrower blade will feel or perform. That's the mystery. I haven't had new skates in 7 yrs, so I'm anxious to see how they feel. The one thing I like about these the most is the replaceable blades, something never before offered in a goal skate. Since I like to sharpen ever 2 skates, these are a blessing for me. I've been milking my sharpenings because the steel on my old skates was getting real low.

Played this morning. Nothing earth shattering. Skates felt good, one had some pressure under the ball of the foot on one skate, the other felt perfect. They were definately lighter than my old skates but honestly I couldn't tell any difference while playing. I could feel the thinner blade on the ice, but didn't have any performance issues, good or bad. Could just be me. One blade was clicking while walking, even though I tightened them yesterday. Felt OK on ice but will tighten again.

Overall, nice skate, way more padding than any goal skate I've ever had. I have normal feet and have never had any issues with previous goal skates, even the cheap ones, but I can see this skate working well for those that do have comfort problems.

Played this morning. Nothing earth shattering. Skates felt good, one had some pressure under the ball of the foot on one skate, the other felt perfect. They were definately lighter than my old skates but honestly I couldn't tell any difference while playing. I could feel the thinner blade on the ice, but didn't have any performance issues, good or bad. Could just be me. One blade was clicking while walking, even though I tightened them yesterday. Felt OK on ice but will tighten again.

Overall, nice skate, way more padding than any goal skate I've ever had. I have normal feet and have never had any issues with previous goal skates, even the cheap ones, but I can see this skate working well for those that do have comfort problems.

I think the fact that you played in them, and off the bat you didn't notice them is great. Nothing worse than having an adjustment phase, throwing your game and timing off.

how much did they cost ya :D

They cost big $$$, not free! ;) Aniversary gift from wife, so you know it's going to cost me diamonds. :P

Played this morning.  Nothing earth shattering.  Skates felt good, one had some pressure under the ball of the foot on one skate, the other felt perfect.  They were definately lighter than my old skates but honestly I couldn't tell any difference while playing. I could feel the thinner blade on the ice, but didn't have any  performance issues, good or bad.  Could just be me.  One blade was clicking while walking, even though I tightened them yesterday. Felt OK on ice but will tighten again.

Overall, nice skate, way more padding than any goal skate I've ever had.  I have normal feet and have never had any issues with previous goal skates, even the cheap ones, but I can see this skate working well for those that do have comfort problems.

I think the fact that you played in them, and off the bat you didn't notice them is great. Nothing worse than having an adjustment phase, throwing your game and timing off.

Yea, I was afraid the new steel would throw me off as my old skates steel were down to nothing. As for fit, they are not a stiff skate, so they flexed really good.

I play again tonite at 10:15, league game so fingers crossed.

As for pics, aren't they in the RBK catalog on this site?

That's a good Anniversary gift, but yeah it's gonna cost a bundle down the line! :blink:

How were they in the league game?

Well, let's say, I played awesome and we beat the 1st place team. Had a nice shut out going till 5 minutes remaining. No "skate" saves but the glove was awesome! :D

I played again today at lunch, and now I can actually feel the bite advantage of the thinner blades. They just seem to grab more. I also noticed I can get in a wider stance than normal. The blades are still making a clicking noise when I walk, but I checked them and they are tight, no movement. Maybe I'm just not use to the feel of replaceable steel.

they cost about 650 to compete with the bauer vaperXXX

Nope, the will retail much less than $650. From what I've heard of the problems with the XXX, it's not much of competition other than looks.

I have had my Rbk 9k Pumps for more than 2 months now, Jimmy. And yes they are great skates! for my pics which were taken some time ago are here at

http://w46.photobucket.com/widgets/dynamicflash.php?featuret ype=bucketstrip&featurename=Rbk9kPumps&pa=/f118/Alex Durso/My%20Gear/

Do yours click when walking? Mine do, but I check them and they are tight, no movement at all. Wierd. Also have you noticed the "extra bite" from the thinner blade? I'm really getting to like it now.