Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tjl_48

Work out questions

I'm from a small town in Minnesota. The outdoor ice is now gone and none of the indoor rinks stay open through the summer. I was wondering what you guys do in the summer to stay in shape for hockey. And how I can improve my acceleration. My top speed is good but my acceleration is a weak point. What exercises can I do to improve?

I'm from a small town in Minnesota. The outdoor ice is now gone and none of the indoor rinks stay open through the summer. I was wondering what you guys do in the summer to stay in shape for hockey. And how I can improve my acceleration. My top speed is good but my acceleration is a weak point. What exercises can I do to improve?

wind sprints up a hill will help with acceleration. i've got 4 months for summer vacation to work out, and my goal is to go hard at the weights for the first 3 months or so, and then last month work on cardio and plyometrics. throw in some glutamine, protein powder, and your basic multivitamins, and i think that'll do me for next year.

Theres a couple of things you can do, depending on what you have access to. You want to do some kind of weight training, this is going to vary by what you have access too, but try to focus on a variety of different leg and ab exercises at the bare minimum.

as far as off ice conditioning ( running ) you want to get into a form of a HIIT program, High Intensity Interval Training, and plyometrics. HIIT basicly involves sprints, followed by a jog, followed by sprints, and so on. A good example of this would be sprint up a hill for 30 secconds, jog/walk back down for 60 secconds, repeat. This is also easily done on a soccer feild, sprint from the end line to each line on the feild, and jog back. You can also work in a weight sled, or a parachute.

Plyometrics will help with your speed, although they shouldn't be done without a bit of research and without being in very good physical condition. If you google plyometrics, you will find a ton of things.

Theres a couple of things you can do, depending on what you have access to. You want to do some kind of weight training, this is going to vary by what you have access too, but try to focus on a variety of different leg and ab exercises at the bare minimum.

as far as off ice conditioning ( running ) you want to get into a form of a HIIT program, High Intensity Interval Training, and plyometrics. HIIT basicly involves sprints, followed by a jog, followed by sprints, and so on. A good example of this would be sprint up a hill for 30 secconds, jog/walk back down for 60 secconds, repeat. This is also easily done on a soccer feild, sprint from the end line to each line on the feild, and jog back. You can also work in a weight sled, or a parachute.

Plyometrics will help with your speed, although they shouldn't be done without a bit of research and without being in very good physical condition. If you google plyometrics, you will find a ton of things.

Dont mean to be pedantic but thats Fartlek training (Run, jog, run etc.). Interval is Run, rest, run, rest etc. Or if you're like me - run,rest ,rest, rest, Run, rest, rest, rest,run etc. :ph34r:

Fartleks are great if you have some committed teammates to train with... run i a single file, with the guy in last place sprinting up to the lead every minute or so.

It's a great high intensity workout, would fit into the "wind" or "cardio" catergory, but it does make you move your feet VERY fast for a short burst, which would be good for hockey.