Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cause4alarm

how many days of the week...

How many days of the week:

are you on the ice?

are you in the gym working out your legs?

are you doing dry-land, leg-intensive cardio (like running)?

I only get to play hockey once (maybe twice if I'm lucky), and I try to get to the gym between 2-4 times a week. I also like to to have at least 2 short running sessions. But under the belief that it's not particularly optimal to play hockey/run/lift on the same day, and that it's ideal to have some rest (a day) in between, I find it difficult to find time to have a leg weightlifing workout. How are you guys doing it?

currently, i am still in class until may, and skate 1-2 times a week. I lift 4times a week and the only body part i hit twice is abs/lower back. Im in a strength bulking phase, and i have seen improvement everywhere.

me and a guy from my school team get let into the school gym before hours and get to workout by ourselves. The longest we are in the gym for is about 1.5 hours tops. Your body definatly needs rest. I get almost a weeks rest for each bodypart.

On the days that we dont lift or skate, i will go down into the garage and shoot 100 or so pucks or play with the smart hockey ball. The hard part is getting into a routine. Once you do, and you get used to it, its alot easier.

I'm a little older so I'm not training for hockey specifically and I play in beer leagues so they are a little easier on the body.

I'm lifting 4 times a week, playing about 3-4 times a week, and riding or walking (torn up knee so I can't really run) when I don't have a game.

I do lift on game days and I actually feel better when doing so. I try not to do my legs on a game day though.

I just started a new routine, it's a little different then what I'm used to but so far, so good:

Mondays and Thursdays are Chest, Triceps and Shoulders

Tuesdays and Fridays are Biceps, Legs and Back

Right now I'm playing Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Wednesday but leagues start up again in a week or so and I'll have to try to work around that schedule the best I can.

I try to eat right and get a good night's sleep and I find if I can do that, I don't really wear out. I use the weekends to kind of wind down and rest when I can and that helps a lot.

I also play in adult inline leagues and am in my late 20's....just started a workout regimen for the first time in my life a few months ago....

Play hockey 3 games a week (1 on Monday nights and 2 on Thursday nights)

I basically do about 30 minutes of cardio before lifting 7 days a week. If I'm pressed for time or have an early hockey game, I'll scale back that cardio to 10-15 minutes. The cardio is usually a stairmaster but when the weather gets nice, I'll ride my bike outside.

I lift nearly everyday and work all parts of the body (again how much lifting depends on amount of time and energy I have after being on my feet for 9-10 hours at work). I limit my leg work on game days though. Usually I'll alternate a "heavy lifting" day and a "light lifting day".

Not necessarily trying to "bulk up" but I do feel a helluva lot better and healthier after starting this workout regimen.

This is what my week looks like right now..

Monday: Chest, Biceps, 30 Minutes Cardio (bike or elyptical...low impact), Shins (to prevent shin splints), and forearms.

Tuesday: Shoulders, 30 minutes of low impact cardio

Wendesday: Off from weight training. But I do a "boot camp" class that entails jumping jacks, light plyos, pushups, ab work, etc. for 45 minutes. And then I go play hockey.

Thursday: Back, Tricepts, 30 Minutes of running. Then at night I play hockey.

Friday: Legs, 30 Minutes of running. (Interval Sprints), Abs, Shins, and Forearms.

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Practice in the morning, and then In-house at night.

I actually find that cardio work before I play hockey helps me. Instead of my legs getting cramped and tired, they stay lively. Glutamine is my hero.

I lift every tues and thurs at school, chest, biceps, triceps, abs, thighs, shin and calf + whatever else i feel like getting around to

sun mon weds fri or sat i usually run on treadmill for 30 minutes and get onthe eliptical for another 30 and stretch and crunches and stuff like that, i do that at least 2-3 times a week

during a season in usually on the ice 3-4 times a week, sometimes more

usually like this. workout mon wed fri play pick up tue and thur have a game on either wed thur or fri. and now that it's warming up I'll be mountain biking a lot more to.

work out is usually cardio 12 minutes lift 40 minutes 10 minutes cardio and I always do lower body on monday.

I'm in a beer league. but I love being involved in sports that motivate me to go to the gym.

Just depends on the week: times I'm on the rink Sun-Tues and then Thurs-Sat which is a bit much and hoping to cut it back to Sun/Tues +1 ..

A week where I'm running to the rinks every day after work pretty much just leaves that along with some basic core stuff at home (push ups, abs, etc + stretching)

Like Miserable I have a torn up knee so I spend a lot of time on the elliptical/bike for cardio..45min-1hour..sometimes easy, sometimes steady..sometimes intervals mimicing a game ..i can also run on grass with a flat shoe (ie racing flat) and do sprints with the dog..

On the ice 4 times a week

I work out 2 out 3 days I have off from hockey, and I usually take saturday to rest and party lol

Monday:Practice 4-530 and 915-1045

Tuesday:Practice 430-6

Wednesday:Practice 4-5 (or 530 depending upon the games we have that week)

Thursday: Game (or weights/running if there is no game)

Saturday:Game

Sunday:Practice 950-1120

But its with my friends so i enjoy this time :)

I dont goto gyms anymore. My season ends this weekend and i've started traning hardcore for tennis again. For that maybe 1 or 2 hours 4 times a week.

What sort of leg workouts do you do when working out legs. I usually do a set of Dead lifts, squats, leg press, lunges, hamstring curls, and leg extensions.. by the end my legs are pretty much dead, and I do this once or twice a week. but as far as follow up with cardio, I'm not really a fan of the bike because my butt just gets sore after sitting on it for awhile, I prefer to run a high interval mile (30 seconds at 9mph and then 30 seconds at 8mph, usually takes about 8:30 to finish the mile) then I do about 30 mins on the stair master.. upper body I basically do arms on another day and then shoulders/chest/back on another day.

I try to change my leg routine every two weeks or so. It really helps to keep your muscles growing. gennerally one of my work outs will look something like one of these....

squats, dead lifts, calf raises, adduction and abduction.

Lunges, set ups, calf raises, adduction and abduction

sideways step ups, lunges with one leg on the balance ball, calf raises, adduction and abduction.

I try to do weights where i can do no more then 8 reps in a set. But i try to keep the weights heavy enough where im around 5 reps. I like the adduction and abduction machines because they work your groin and it should be a good help to skating.

Typically when I work out my legs I do 3 quad excercises, 2 calf excercises (1 seated, and one standing), and 2 hamstring excercises (1 seated, 1 standing). Three sets per excercise. I try to change which excercises I do weekly to not let my body get used to one particular workout.